Has anyone pulled a camper with Grand Caravan Sport or GC

Old August 9th 04, 04:02 PM

Default Has anyone pulled a camper with Grand Caravan Sport or GC

Hope I am not breaking any rules as I have tried to ask a form of this
question before. No replies.

I have a 99 GC Sport with 94K miles. I am looking to buy a pop up camper.
These units typically weigh 1300 to 2500 lbs and I would say the avearage
being about 2000 lbs.

I am interested in feedback and advise from those who have used their GC to
pull these type of units. Especially if you did it with the 3.3 engine.
Such as how to be sure if I do,or do not have the tow package? How to
install a trans cooler and where to get the best one. Best hitch? Any other
upgrades or modifications that should be done or that could be done to
insure better safety and reliablity.
Please , no comments to just buy a big SUV. We had one and between the bad
milege and the fact that for our family, we feel a Mini is much more
comfortable and roomier then any SUV we owned.
thanks

Old August 9th 04, 09:22 PM
Kamus of Kadizhar

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 11:02:37 -0400, sheriyork wrote:

> Hope I am not breaking any rules as I have tried to ask a form of this
> question before. No replies.
>
> I have a 99 GC Sport with 94K miles. I am looking to buy a pop up
> camper. These units typically weigh 1300 to 2500 lbs and I would say the
> avearage being about 2000 lbs.
>
> I am interested in feedback and advise from those who have used their GC
> to pull these type of units. Especially if you did it with the 3.3
> engine. Such as how to be sure if I do,or do not have the tow package?
> How to install a trans cooler and where to get the best one. Best hitch?
> Any other upgrades or modifications that should be done or that could be
> done to insure better safety and reliablity.
> Please , no comments to just buy a big SUV. We had one and between the
> bad milege and the fact that for our family, we feel a Mini is much more
> comfortable and roomier then any SUV we owned. thanks

I've done it a couple of times with a 2000 GC sport. I don't recall the
engine size; it may have been the 3.3.

The pop-up I towed was about 1,500#. Nothing special; just get a hitch
from any decent place that's rated for that and go for it.

It towed quite well; no real problems.

If you plan on doing it on a regular basis, you really should get a tranny
cooler; if you're in hot areas, I'd get an auxiliary fan as well.

If you do lots of mountains, I'd look to see if you have a steering
cooler; if not, I'd see if one is available for your vehicle.

I'd also look for an engine oil cooler.

Sometimes you can get a kit; other times you have to buy separately. Look
around to see what's available. I'm not going to do research for you.
Google is your friend.

As to how to install these, I'd look to see what's available for the
vehicle, and then get on the manufacturer's web sites, and download
manuals. It ain't rocket science, but it also will destroy tranny /
engine / steering if you screw up.

For safety, I'd get a backup camera. Most people think this is stupid,
but a decent backup camera will help tremendously when the time comes to
get around in tight spaces. I have one that points straight down at the
hitch and one that points out back, and I can switch between them.

--Kamus
Old August 9th 04, 09:22 PM
Kamus of Kadizhar

Old August 10th 04, 01:06 AM
PAPAGENE4JACK

I have a 04 carravan and the manual will tell you its towing capacity. I
think its the same as my 04 sxt 3000 lbs

regards papa

Old August 10th 04, 01:06 AM
PAPAGENE4JACK

Old August 10th 04, 06:23 AM
Dan Fraser

Have you ever had the transmission fluid changed. If you have, do you know
what fluid was used?

If it was at a dealer, OK but anywhere else, be suspicious.Almost no place
seems to know or care that Chrysler transmissions need special fluid. Yours
may be type "Plus 3" or "Plus 4".

If in doubt, when you go to get it changed, anywhere but the dealer, check
to see if they have the right fluid first. If they try to tell you that they
have this stuff that converts Dexron to the Plus type fluid, decline it, and
ask if they don't mind if you go and buy the correct elsewhere and just have
them do the labor. And if they say Dexron fluid is OK, leave. They are
idiots.

Remember, if you are unsure of the fluid in you transmission, if anyone but
a dealer has serviced the transmission, you may have the wrong fluid and
puling a trailer may kill your transmission. Heck, with the wrong fluid the
transmissions in Dodge mini-vans die easy even when not pulling a trailer.

Old August 11th 04, 01:18 PM
Zeppo

I wish they would make it a different color or something so we can tell if
they used the right stuff before leaving the shop. The tranny shop I used
claims to use the right fluid, but having had 3 replacements in the space of
a few months I have to think they aren't.

Jon

. ..

Old August 11th 04, 01:18 PM
Zeppo

I wish they would make it a different color or something so we can tell if
they used the right stuff before leaving the shop. The tranny shop I used
claims to use the right fluid, but having had 3 replacements in the space of
a few months I have to think they aren't.

Jon

. ..

Old August 11th 04, 01:33 PM
Zeppo

I occasionally tow an '87 Coleman Chesapeake a few hundred miles with my '98
GC Sport with a 3.3L engine. Mostly flat towing the Maryland's Eastern
shore (from Philly) but once in a while a trip to Canada, the Poconos or the
Adirondacks.

I installed and installed a transmission cooler I picked up at my local NAPA
dealer right after I purchased the van. I had U-haul install the hitch as
they had a free installation special at the time. I did the wiring myself
from a Pep-boys kit.

The van tows the popup (2300 lbs. loaded) just fine but (I'm shouting now)
YOU NEED TO READ THE OWNERS MANUAL FOR PROPER TOWING TECHNIQUES FOR YOUR
SPECIFIC VAN! This is very important as the instructions have varied over
the years. I towed the popup in overdrive for the first few years and
attributed my first tranny failure to that.

Also, while the van pulls ok some more power would be appreciated. Climbing
hills with the Pop-up and the family tests my patience a bit. While stopping
in normal situations is OK, panic stops require a short prayer. Electric
brakes on the popup would really help in these situations.

Hope this helps,
Jon