can water in your tires make them go out of balance?

Old March 12th 10, 01:55 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default can water in your tires make them go out of balance?

Just curious...

reason I ask is I have new front tires that have less than 10K miles on
them and they're already shaking. Weird thing is that it kind of comes
and goes. Wondering if maybe I got some "wet" air because it's been so
damp all winter this year? I did have to add air at least once, maybe
twice, and since I don't have my own compressor I'm at the mercy of the
coin-op thing at the gas station.

The other alternative is that I'm already having a CV joint ready to go,
which is a possibility, as leaving work every day involves WOT
acceleration into fast moving traffic, due to the crap location of my
office and lack of a traffic light. Or that my tires are no good, but
they're Michelins, which I've always had good luck with...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old March 12th 10, 02:14 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_2_]

Nate Nagel > wrote in news:hnc6uv0o82
@news4.newsguy.com:

> Just curious...
>
> reason I ask is I have new front tires that have less than 10K miles on
> them and they're already shaking.

Because the monkey that mounted them was as stupid as all the other stupid
tire-monkeys. I do not choose the simian metaphor lightly.

Weird thing is that it kind of comes
> and goes. Wondering if maybe I got some "wet" air because it's been so
> damp all winter this year? I did have to add air at least once, maybe
> twice, and since I don't have my own compressor I'm at the mercy of the
> coin-op thing at the gas station.

It's not water, it's stupid tire-monkeys.

Stupid garage managers think tires are the job you give to the stupidest or
newest or lowest-paid employee. That means your tires get mounted stupidly.

I had 25 years of that ****. It took ONE good garage to explain to me
exactly why this happens, and how to prevent it. Needless to say, this
garage does all my tires.

--
Tegger

Old March 12th 10, 02:22 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bill Vanek

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 20:55:44 -0500, Nate Nagel >
wrote:

>Just curious...
>
>reason I ask is I have new front tires that have less than 10K miles on
>them and they're already shaking. Weird thing is that it kind of comes
>and goes. Wondering if maybe I got some "wet" air because it's been so
>damp all winter this year? I did have to add air at least once, maybe
>twice, and since I don't have my own compressor I'm at the mercy of the
>coin-op thing at the gas station.
>
>The other alternative is that I'm already having a CV joint ready to go,
>which is a possibility, as leaving work every day involves WOT
>acceleration into fast moving traffic, due to the crap location of my
>office and lack of a traffic light. Or that my tires are no good, but
>they're Michelins, which I've always had good luck with...

If you always get the shake in the same location at the same speed,
and never get it in some other locations, it's the road surface. a CV
joint will cause a shimmy under acceleration, and it should stop
immediately when you get off the throttle. Flat spotting could be a
possibility if it happens only after the car sits, and then goes away
for the rest of the trip.

The surest way to check the tire balance is to just have them balanced
again.
Old March 16th 10, 07:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hal

> It's not water, it's stupid tire-monkeys.
>
> Stupid garage managers think tires are the job you give to the stupidest or
> newest or lowest-paid employee. That means your tires get mounted stupidly.
>
> I had 25 years of that ****. It took ONE good garage to explain to me
> exactly why this happens, and how to prevent it. Needless to say, this
> garage does all my tires.

You are 100% right, and that is why I refuse to let discount tire
touch my car again. Those ass-hats seem to think the yellow and red
markings on the sidewall are just decoration. Imagine how much money
they would save on balancing weights if they just followed the advice
of the people who made the tires and marked out the high and low
weight variations right on the side.

A good tire shop is worth the money.

Chris
Old March 16th 10, 10:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ben91932

On Mar 11, 6:55*pm, Nate Nagel > wrote:
> Just curious...
>
> reason I ask is I have new front tires that have less than 10K miles on
> them and they're already shaking. *

My guess would be sloppy tie rod ends...
HTH
Ben
Old March 16th 10, 10:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 03/16/2010 06:28 PM, ben91932 wrote:
> On Mar 11, 6:55 pm, Nate > wrote:
>> Just curious...
>>
>> reason I ask is I have new front tires that have less than 10K miles on
>> them and they're already shaking.

> My guess would be sloppy tie rod ends...
> HTH
> Ben

That'd be disappointing at 35K miles. but it is a Chevy.

nate

Old March 16th 10, 11:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Some people put water in their farm tractors tires for some extra
weight.They have been doing that for many years.
cuhulin