Is my PCV line plugged up?

Old June 8th 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Is my PCV line plugged up?

I have a 1994 Chevrolet Corsica with a 6 cylinder engine. I was looking at
the engine recently figuring out what everything was and I know that the PCV
valve sucks air from the crackcase. I then wondered where the air comes from
that is being sucked through the PCV valve. I searched for the location
where the air enters the engine and learned that it enters in through a
stiff plastic pipe that has one end plugged in at the air intake between the
air filter and the fuel injector system, and the other end is plugged into
the engine between the engine and the firewall. I then unplugged the plastic
pipe from the air intake and put my finger over it to feel the air being
sucked, but no air was being sucked despite the fact that air was in fact
being sucked through the PCV valve at the same moment. I then put my mouth
on the plastic pipe and attempted to blow air into the crankcase but I was
unable to do so. It seems as if a blockage exists that is preventing new
fresh air from entering the crankcase.

Is it possible that there is something plugged up in the engine? Am I
correct that if I blow into the plastic pipe that I should be able to blow
air into the crackcase? I cannot blow any air at all into the engine. The
thing that started all of this is that I am getting condensation on the PCV
valve, but not on the dipstick or anywhere else and my oil is clean. My
neighbor told me that it couldn't be a leaky headgasket because there is no
water in the oil and I am not losing antifreeze. Now I am thinking that
something is plugged up and not allowing the engine to breathe by way of the
PCV valve. Thanks.

Old June 8th 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

j wrote:
> <SNIP>
> Is it possible that there is something plugged up in the engine? Am I
> correct that if I blow into the plastic pipe that I should be able to blow
> air into the crackcase? I cannot blow any air at all into the engine. The
> thing that started all of this is that I am getting condensation on the PCV
> valve, but not on the dipstick or anywhere else and my oil is clean. My
> neighbor told me that it couldn't be a leaky headgasket because there is no
> water in the oil and I am not losing antifreeze. Now I am thinking that
> something is plugged up and not allowing the engine to breathe by way of the
> PCV valve. Thanks.

Your supply side of the PVC system is plugged. Remove the blockage.
Old June 8th 06, 06:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

I agree with Anumber1 on this... your PCV intake source is blocked.

www.telstar-electronics.com

Old June 9th 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"j" > wrote in message
.com...
> I have a 1994 Chevrolet Corsica with a 6 cylinder engine. I was looking at
> the engine recently figuring out what everything was and I know that the

PCV
> valve sucks air from the crackcase. I then wondered where the air comes

from
> that is being sucked through the PCV valve. I searched for the location
> where the air enters the engine and learned that it enters in through a
> stiff plastic pipe that has one end plugged in at the air intake between

the
> air filter and the fuel injector system, and the other end is plugged into
> the engine between the engine and the firewall. I then unplugged the

plastic
> pipe from the air intake and put my finger over it to feel the air being
> sucked, but no air was being sucked despite the fact that air was in fact
> being sucked through the PCV valve at the same moment. I then put my mouth
> on the plastic pipe and attempted to blow air into the crankcase but I was
> unable to do so. It seems as if a blockage exists that is preventing new
> fresh air from entering the crankcase.
>
> Is it possible that there is something plugged up in the engine? Am I
> correct that if I blow into the plastic pipe that I should be able to blow
> air into the crackcase? I cannot blow any air at all into the engine. The
> thing that started all of this is that I am getting condensation on the

PCV
> valve, but not on the dipstick or anywhere else and my oil is clean. My
> neighbor told me that it couldn't be a leaky headgasket because there is

no
> water in the oil and I am not losing antifreeze. Now I am thinking that
> something is plugged up and not allowing the engine to breathe by way of

the
> PCV valve. Thanks.

If you can not blow through the hose with the PCV removed then the hose is
stopped up. With the PCV on the hose, you should not be able to blow through
it because the PCV regulates crank case ventilation and is only open when
there is a vacuum on one side and pressure on the other. more or less.
--
Kevin Mouton
Automotive Technology Instructor

Old June 9th 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Kevin" > wrote in

> If you can not blow through the hose with the PCV removed then the
> hose is stopped up. With the PCV on the hose, you should not be able
> to blow through it because the PCV regulates crank case ventilation
> and is only open when there is a vacuum on one side and pressure on
> the other. more or less.

I gather that he tried to blow through the crankcase breather, not the PCV
valve's hose. Re-read his post. Same diagnosis, but different location.

--
TeGGeR®

Old June 9th 06, 04:47 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

The PCV valve operates in only one direction, hence the name "valve".
It allows air to flow from the engine to the air intake, but not in
the reverse.

If you are blowing INTO the engine valve cover, and cannot, that
portion is working. Try sucking FROM the valve cover. Actually, don't,
but you get my drift.

You know what? For the little bit it costs, just go get yourself a new
one. Make sure you install it the right way.

Giving line cutters what they deserve Doug Warner Driving 28 December 14th 05 10:53 PM
Plugged Fuel Line Packrat46 VW air cooled 5 November 26th 05 02:56 PM
63 fuel line suggestions lib Corvette 2 November 19th 05 06:22 AM
fuel line 1978 Vette: Process45 Corvette 8 November 2nd 04 03:15 PM
Fuel line 1978 Vette: Process45 Corvette 0 October 24th 04 05:37 PM