Renting 300C, Magnum or Charger

Old November 20th 05, 05:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.driving,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.consumers.experiences

Default Renting 300C, Magnum or Charger

Art wrote:

> Having visited London for a couple of weeks last year, I'd hate to see you
> guys driving around with faster cars. You make NY taxi's look like careful
> drivers. By the way you are driving on the wrong side of the street
> although it is convenient for mailmen.

Hi...

Durn, I have to ask... how can it be (more) convenient for mailmen?

I agree that they're driving on the wrong side of the street, but
the driver also gets in the wrong door... still ends up away from
the curb. (or kerb, as I believe they spell it)

Ken

Old November 20th 05, 05:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.driving,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.consumers.experiences

Actually I am wrong about the mailmen. But wrong sided cars, when used in
the US, are convenient to mailmen in rural areas so they can easily reach
the mailbox on the right side of the street.

Old November 20th 05, 06:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.driving,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.consumers.experiences

Art wrote:

> Actually I am wrong about the mailmen. But wrong sided cars, when used in
> the US, are convenient to mailmen in rural areas so they can easily reach
> the mailbox on the right side of the street.

The people delivering around here just drive the wrong way down the road.

Old November 20th 05, 10:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.driving,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.consumers.experiences

You don't expect me to overlook this gratuitous, inaccurate criticism, do
you? ;-)

You raised the subject, not I...

We drive on the correct side of the road, and have been doing so for 2000
years, whereas Americans follow the regime imposed by Napoleon on Europe
when he occupied most of it in the 19th C. Before then many regions drove
on the left.

To this day about one-third of the world still drives on the left, notably
AU, Japan, the Subcontinent and other chunks of Asia.

http://www.i18nguy.com/driver-side.html#countrytable

So, YOU drive on the 'other' side which is, of course, correct for you.
After all, you would not want to drive on the left in NYC, would you, though
other contributors seem to think that people DO drive on the left in some
parts of the US?...

DAS
---

"Art" > wrote in message
news [...]
By the way you are driving on the wrong side of the street
> although it is convenient for mailmen.

[...]

Old November 20th 05, 10:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.driving,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.consumers.experiences

No. We in Europe and much of the rest of the world have 'small' engines
because of the high price of fuel. As I indicated in my earlier post.

I have never heard of taxes on auto gearboxes, neither in UK nor in Germany,
for example. Cite your source/s. I have never heard any member of the UK
government express any opinion on the type of transmission. Have you been
smoking wacky 'baccy?

As it happens I personally much prefer automatic. When I was young I used
to scoff at auto... until I went to the States when I was 21 and hired a car
(which, of course, was auto). Although I have had some manuals I would
never get one now unless forced. Haven't had one for maybe 20 years.
'Course I hire them all the time. Too dear to hire autos in Europe. And
manual reminds why I prefer auto, especially as I live in a metropolis.

DAS

---

"MoPar Man" > wrote in message
[...]
> You guys in the UK have mostly engines under 2.5L because
> (historically) you were taxed an insane amount based on engine
> displacement, even engine bore, and also you tax automatic trannies
> because your gov't thinks they're evil. If it wasn't for that, you'd
> have more 3 and 4L engines in cars.
>
> We also love out automatic transmissions too - but I think that most
> people under 40 (here in USA/Canada) at this point who grew up as
> teenagers driving/owning ****-box 4-cylinders (like VW's) with manual
> trannys tend to also look for manual trannys in new cars they buy
> now. People over 40 are more likely to have had only
> automatic-transmission cars at home while they were growing up, and
> tend to not have ever learned how to drive a stick.
>
>> but also wonder about fuel consumption.

[...]

Old November 21st 05, 04:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.driving,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.consumers.experiences

Dori A Schmetterling, > was motivated to say this in
rec.autos.driving on Sun, 20 Nov 2005 22:19:38 -0000:
> So, YOU drive on the 'other' side which is, of course, correct for you.
> After all, you would not want to drive on the left in NYC, would you, though
> other contributors seem to think that people DO drive on the left in some
> parts of the US?...

You are thinking of LLB's (Left Lane Blockers - or Bandits or
*******s...); hypocritical selfrighetous *******s who think it is their
God given right to drive slowly and well under the flow of traffic in
the passing lane (the leftmost lane of a highway with two or more lanes
going in the same direction) of an interstate or other expressway. Not
sure which lane you guys in the UK use for the passing lane on your
expressways, but I'm willing to bet you have people with the same LLB
mentality there...

Old November 21st 05, 09:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.driving,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.consumers.experiences

"Dori A Schmetterling" > wrote in message
After all, you would not want to drive on the left in NYC, would you,
though other contributors seem to think that people DO drive on the left in
some parts of the US?...

I don't think anyone wants to drive through NYC ;-)

Ken

Old November 21st 05, 09:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.driving,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.consumers.experiences

We happen to call them left-lane-dicks. We have plenty of them here in NJ.

Ken

th.net...

Old November 21st 05, 12:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.driving,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.consumers.experiences

I meant postmen & women... :-)

Yes, we also have the LLB equivalents. Of course. People who don't go back
into the left lane when not overtaking and blocking other overtakers are
known as roadhogs. Not so serious when we have three lanes each way.

And we DON'T allow (legally, anyway) overtaking on either side.

DAS

---

Old November 21st 05, 03:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.driving,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.consumers.experiences

Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

> Of course it "gulped gas". What do you expect from a 3.5-litre engine?

Engine displacement doesn't correlate to fuel efficiency very strongly
with modern combustion chamber design and engine control systems. All
external things being equal (including driving style) a 2-liter and a
3.5 liter would get within a few percent of each other installed in the
same vehicle. Case in point, the Magnum with a 2.7 gets barely any
better milage than a 3.5, and in the real world may get worse mileage
than a 3.5 because the 2.7 has to be flogged continually. If the Magnum
has a gas mileage problem, its got more to do with weight and frontal
area than with engine size. Personally, the gas mileage numbers I'm
hearing (23-25 highway with the 5.7 Hemi) are great for a car of that size.