'98 audi quattro A8 for $9500. What do you guys think???

Old May 21st 05, 10:25 PM
Joe

Default '98 audi quattro A8 for $9500. What do you guys think???

I found a '98 Audi A8 Quattro w/ 49K miles. From what I've read initially,
it's a pretty reliable car with good gas mileage. I know it's a good price,
but is it worth it for someone that doesn't want to spend ALOT on
maintenace? My only worry, as you could probably guess, is the maintenance
cost. Is there any way around that, perhaps by purchasing 'generic' parts
and taking it to a less-costly garage? Or will the maintenace always be
high, regardless of what I do?
Out of curiosity, does Audi offer an extended warranty, even if the car's
not purchased from an Audi dealeship?

Thanks.

Old May 22nd 05, 07:15 PM
Dano58

If you don't want to spend a lot on maintenance, buy a Lexus. And I'm
only half joking! I don't have any knowledge of A8's specifically, but
in general, any Audi (or BMW or Mercedes-Benz) is going to require more
stringent maintenance than a comparable Lexus or Acura... You can
certainly buy parts at less-expensive aftermarket places, and there are
probably used or rebuilt parts available as well. Finding an
independent garage shouldn't be too difficult either, depending on
where you live. But go into it with your eyes open!

Audi doesn't offer extended warranties but there are planety of
companies out there that do. I plan to ourchase one for my car when I
get closer to the expiration of my warranty.

Dan D
'04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
Central NJ USA

Old May 23rd 05, 04:49 AM
Joe

I'm looking for the most "bang for the buck" and I'm not looking for a
specific car, and that's why the Audi interested me. I'm searching for
something that's around $10K and when I saw the audi for $9500 (with a KBB
value of over $20K), I became interested in it. But I'm not searching for a
particular vehicle.
From experience, do extended auto warranties help you from paying for
maintenance when you need to change something that'll come out expensive?

ups.com...

Old May 25th 05, 10:04 PM
Dano58

Well, Joe, when a car is selling for less than half of it's book value,
that should tell you soomething right there....! Especially with low
mileage.... Makes you wonder a bit....

Dan D
'04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
Central NJ USA