GTR2 - Best Video Card

Old October 9th 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
DStamper

Default GTR2 - Best Video Card

I currently cannot run GTR2 on My system:

P4 3.4 GHz / 2M / 800FSB
1G PC3200 / 400 RAM
GeForce FX5500

I realize the graphics card is the bottle neck but I'm getting 10 - 15 FPS
with everything set to min. This tells me this game is very resource hungry
and I want to make sure I get a card that will run it. Can someone with
similar computer specs tell me what card you are running to get the most eye
candy with acceptable fps.

Thanks

David Stamper

Old October 10th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Jim C

I have dell xps with 3ghz, 800fsb, pc3200 (i gig) and a ATI 9800 non-pro. I
have most settings set to medium to high, excluding shadows and light
reflections set to low. I'm getting 80+ fps, (dx8 shader) sometime over 100
fps at Barcelona and monza. A new video card will help but there is
something else stealing your resources. Have you tried a lower version of
DirectX? Also have you turned animations off?

Old October 10th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
DStamper

I haven't tried a lower version of Direct X but after checking the VGA chart
at Tom' Hardware I realize just how outdated my graphics card is. I still
thought I could maybe run the game with low res but at 800 x 600 x 16 it is
undrivable. I have tried changing the plr as was stated in a recent post
and have all graphics set to their lowest setting. I may try the ealier
versions of DX and maybe a reload. Thanks for the info.

link.net...

Old October 10th 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Don[_4_]

I just got GTR2 so I've only driven on track alone but it seems to run ok on
my system:
Athlon XP2100, 1 gig pc3200 ram, 9600 pro video card.
Don

Old October 10th 06, 02:36 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
DStamper

I've read a lot about the ATI cards, even the older ones seem to do well
with this game. I've always used the Geforce cards but I may have to change
my ways. Thanks.

. ..

Old October 10th 06, 03:40 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
DStamper

WOW, switched to DX7 and can run with everything at max. Thanks for the
info.

Old October 10th 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Old October 10th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> DStamper wrote:
> > WOW, switched to DX7 and can run with everything at max. Thanks for the
> > info.

Sure, it'll run better in DX7 mode, but graphics quality takes a huge
hit! To get GTR2 looking decent, I'd recommend at least a GeForce
6600GT, 6800 GT/GS, or 7600 series - or the ATI equivalent (X800 GTO,
X1600, etc...). A 6600 GT can probably be had for about $100.

Old October 10th 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
DStamper

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> > DStamper wrote:
> > > WOW, switched to DX7 and can run with everything at max. Thanks for

the
> > > info.

> Sure, it'll run better in DX7 mode, but graphics quality takes a huge
> hit! To get GTR2 looking decent, I'd recommend at least a GeForce
> 6600GT, 6800 GT/GS, or 7600 series - or the ATI equivalent (X800 GTO,
> X1600, etc...). A 6600 GT can probably be had for about $100.

Yea I feel a lot better after just getting it to run. I'm running DX8 now
and its a little better quality. I spent $300.00 on upgrades to my old
system and still couldn't run it. I was getting ready to drop another 5
bills on a 7800 GTX but I think I'll go with a 7300 GT after discovering the
Direct X loophole. The local Comp store has a X1600 512 for $189.00 I may
just do that. Thanks for the info.

Old October 11th 06, 05:12 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Izzy

What's a Direct X loophole?