SM4's windows' motor's relay* is unnecessary, wastes current, & can drain battery

Old February 22nd 05, 03:21 AM
Michael Pardee

"dan martin" > wrote in message
> Just to be a difficult SOB that I am. <G> and throw a monkey into the
> wrench, I have heard of some performance enthusiasts that switch off the
> alternator from the battery. The theory is , if I recall ( doubtful at
> times
> at my age) that the mechanical load that the alternator puts on the engine
> is significantly lessened if it isn;t producing electricity; conservation
> of
> energy and all that jazz.
> So during a race, the overall voltageon the system would decrease
> slightly,
> maybe a volt or two, which, accoding to the original posters viewpoint.
> should easily impact performance in a negative way, but alas, it doesn't.
>

> Anyways, Carry on!
>

> Cheers
> Dan

Now, that makes sense! Even a 30 amp load at 14V is 420W, more than half a
horsepower. Factor in the losses and the small reasons not to, and it is a
reasonable thing to do for a race. Of course, a 140 ma load from the window
relay is right at 2W, or about 1/370 of a horsepower.

Mike

Old February 22nd 05, 11:14 PM
Gordon McGrew

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 07:25:41 -0700, "Michael Pardee"
> wrote:

>"TE Cheah" > wrote in message ...
>>| 138/1000 of an amp will give me 2% extra torque?
>> U twit, 1-2% is not a minimum 2%.
>> The extra ampere ignition will get is 0.138 A + a decrease in battery's
>> self*discharge, from the ( 2watt ) reduction of heat received by battery.
>> * depends on the type & size of battery & how well battery is insulated
>> / cooled.
>> After leakage is stopped, my battery's charge rose, then sparks grew even
>> bigger, extra torque @600rpm grew to 5%. My cables have just 2ohm
>> resistance, plug gaps are 3mm, original cables & gaps can produce only
>> smaller increases.
>>

>This does not make sense. Removing 138 ma of load when the engine is off
>would be a big improvement, since that much drain would kill the battery in
>a few days. But that drain when the engine is on is insignificant.

Google Cheah pet's previous posts in this group. He has stated that
Hondas are defective because they have electric clocks which draw
current. A real looney.

Old February 23rd 05, 10:36 AM
Randolph

> Google Cheah pet's previous posts in this group. He has stated that
> Hondas are defective because they have electric clocks which draw
> current. A real looney.

I remember that thread. I believe one of the claims that time was that
because of that "defect" a Honda could not possibly cruise down the
highway at 60 mph. I say TE Cheah is a troll.

At what point is a vehicle battery charging or discharging? 12.6v ? [email protected] Technology 34 January 3rd 05 05:11 AM
battery drain Chris Etzel VW water cooled 10 November 29th 04 06:02 PM
battery question Jim Beaver General 14 November 6th 04 10:54 PM
Dead Battery current leak Jeremy Saturn 3 July 1st 04 07:54 PM