Oil Service Light Reset

Old April 4th 06, 12:56 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default Oil Service Light Reset

Dean Dark wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 19:57:38 -0400, Fred W
> > wrote:
>

>>That's complete and utter bull****. I have never heard of a $2000 brake
>>job on a BMW (or any other car for that matter). The pads cost the same
>>as any car (anywhere from $35-85 per axle depending on brand) and even
>>if you figure in the disks at roughly $80-100 per corner and throw in
>>$150 per hour NY City labor rates it still doesn't add up to $2000.

> Yeah? Wanna see the receipt for the full monty brake job on my M5?

Did that include calipers? I can't beleive anyone would pay $2000 for
pads and rotors.

>>But the most amusing (and perhaps telling) thing is that you apparently
>>ended up with a Honda. Good luck with that automotive appliance, pal.
>>I'm sure that it will supply many serviceable miles...

> Hondas are fine cars. Much better than the equivalent GM and Ford
> garbage.

perhaps. In fact the rest of my family is enamored of them. But they
are no more exciting than a Ford Focus to me, and a lot less exciting
than a Mustang or Corvette.

--
-Fred W
Old April 4th 06, 03:48 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

rlking wrote:
> I own a 2001 525i and I can't find the connector for reseting the oil
> light! The only connector I can find is the ODC connector located down on
> the dash by the brake and hood release inside the car. I do not know which
> pins to ground to reset for the oil light, if it can be done? Everybody
> says there is a round military connector under the hood near the fire wall
> but I can't find anything like. the only connector I can find is in side
> the car and it IS not round it is Square shaped with 16 pin connectors. Can
> anybody help me figure this out? The dealership refuses to help unless I
> pay them for their $169 oil change which I've already performed because
> their price was to high!
>
> Robert King

BMW eliminated the underhood connector on most models starting in 2000,
and by 2001 it was history. ALL diagnostics is now done via the OBD-II
connector inside the car.

Reset of the oil and service lights is done via the two buttons on the
instrument cluster. I'd suggest Googling for the info.

No tool is needed, no wire to possibly burn up the wiring harness..
piece'a'cake.

Old April 5th 06, 12:19 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"Fred W" > wrote in message
> tww wrote:
>

> > My Honda dealer always throws in a 19 point check, brakes, suspension

etc.
> > with an oil change.

> Hah. That's a good one. Did you ever ask what those 19 points were and
> what they actually did in this "inspection"?

Yes. I receive a detailed explanation of each item. I have checked them out
and they actually do it.

> > Mobil I synthetic, which I use, runs around $5.00 per
> > qt for a 5 qt capacity.

> Mobil 1 is about 4.50 retail by the quart. You can buy 5 quart
> containers at Walmart for $20 (I'll do the math for you - that's $$ a
> quart). Do you really thing the dealerships don't get a huge volume
> discount for buying in 55 gallon drum volume? I'll bet they pay less
> than $3 a quart.
>
> > The BMW sounds like the XKE I had in the mid 60s
> > with a 10 qt change. Of course, probably more reliable.

> No, most BMWs have ~8 quart sumps, not 10. Why? Take a wild guess...
> If you have more oil volume it will be able to disipate more heat (you
> do know that oil is the engine's primary oil coolant don't you?)
> withstand more wear and suspend more contaminants than the smaller volume.
>
> > The point is that
> > I was considering a 3 series BMW until an owner gave me the bad news

about

Old April 5th 06, 12:22 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

tww wrote:
> "Fred W" > wrote in message
>
>>tww wrote:

>>>My Honda dealer always throws in a 19 point check, brakes, suspension

> Yes. I receive a detailed explanation of each item. I have checked them out
> and they actually do it.

Of course they do it. They want to sell you repairs. It's in their best
interest to find problems.
Old April 5th 06, 12:29 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 07:56:05 -0400, Fred W
> wrote:

>Dean Dark wrote:
>> On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 19:57:38 -0400, Fred W
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>That's complete and utter bull****. I have never heard of a $2000 brake
>>>job on a BMW

>> Yeah? Wanna see the receipt for the full monty brake job on my M5?
>>

>Did that include calipers? I can't beleive anyone would pay $2000 for
>pads and rotors.

It was a bit more than *just* pads and rotors, but even just pads &
rotors on any 5 is a minimum $500/axle at the BMW lodge.

>>>But the most amusing (and perhaps telling) thing is that you apparently
>>>ended up with a Honda. Good luck with that automotive appliance, pal.
>>>I'm sure that it will supply many serviceable miles...

>> Hondas are fine cars. Much better than the equivalent GM and Ford
>> garbage.

>But they
>are no more exciting than a Ford Focus to me, and a lot less exciting
>than a Mustang or Corvette.

My NSX wants to take issue with you over that statement.
--
Dan.
Old April 5th 06, 12:31 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"Dean Dark" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 19:57:38 -0400, Fred W
> > wrote:
>
> >That's complete and utter bull****. I have never heard of a $2000 brake
> >job on a BMW (or any other car for that matter). The pads cost the same
> >as any car (anywhere from $35-85 per axle depending on brand) and even
> >if you figure in the disks at roughly $80-100 per corner and throw in
> >$150 per hour NY City labor rates it still doesn't add up to $2000.

> Yeah? Wanna see the receipt for the full monty brake job on my M5?
>
> >But the most amusing (and perhaps telling) thing is that you apparently
> >ended up with a Honda. Good luck with that automotive appliance, pal.
> >I'm sure that it will supply many serviceable miles...

Don't consider the Prelude an appliance. At 2900 lbs with a 200 hp 2.2 ltr
VTEC it is a strong runner with first-rate brakes and great performance. It
will give most 3 series a good run for the money. The new Civic SI I
recently drove is similar in execution. As far as ending up with a Honda,
it is telling. During the 60s I owned an 64 XKE, a Sunbeam Tiger (modified)
that I autocrossed with great success while assigned duty in Japan, a couple
of Corvettes (69 and 71), etc, etc. I became a real Honda fan when I moved
from Norton and Triumph motorcycles to the early 4 cylinder 750s Honda
imported to the US -- after I saw it at the Tokyo motor show in 68. BMWs --
tested a 2002 in 74 and did not like it. So, I thought I would look at it
again. But, as appliance driver, I guess I don't deserve a BMW by your
assessment.

Old April 5th 06, 02:05 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Dean Dark wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 07:56:05 -0400, Fred W
> > wrote:
>

>>Dean Dark wrote:

>>>Yeah? Wanna see the receipt for the full monty brake job on my M5?
>>>

>>Did that include calipers? I can't beleive anyone would pay $2000 for
>>pads and rotors.

> It was a bit more than *just* pads and rotors, but even just pads &
> rotors on any 5 is a minimum $500/axle at the BMW lodge.

OK, I'll buy that. So the entire brake job would be $1000 if one were
inclined to waste their money by bringing it to a BMW dealership for the
job. That's half of $2000, right? How much is a brake job on a Honda
at a Honda stealership? Oh... what's that? about $1000 you say?

>>>Hondas are fine cars. Much better than the equivalent GM and Ford
>>>garbage.

>>But they
>>are no more exciting than a Ford Focus to me, and a lot less exciting
>>than a Mustang or Corvette.

> My NSX wants to take issue with you over that statement.

Yes. Too bad they have not made one in quite some time...

--
-Fred W
Old April 5th 06, 02:12 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

tww wrote:

> Don't consider the Prelude an appliance. At 2900 lbs with a 200 hp 2.2 ltr
> VTEC it is a strong runner with first-rate brakes and great performance. It
> will give most 3 series a good run for the money. The new Civic SI I
> recently drove is similar in execution. As far as ending up with a Honda,
> it is telling.

Too bad that none of them actually handle worth a damn. If you can't
tell the difference between a Honda and a BMW then you would be
absolutely crazy to buy a BMW.

> During the 60s I owned an 64 XKE, a Sunbeam Tiger (modified)
> that I autocrossed with great success while assigned duty in Japan, a couple
> of Corvettes (69 and 71), etc, etc. I became a real Honda fan when I moved
> from Norton and Triumph motorcycles to the early 4 cylinder 750s Honda
> imported to the US -- after I saw it at the Tokyo motor show in 68. BMWs --
> tested a 2002 in 74 and did not like it. So, I thought I would look at it
> again. But, as appliance driver, I guess I don't deserve a BMW by your
> assessment.

You deserve whatever you can best appreciate. Hondas are fine cars.
Just not exciting to me and (my) life is too short for boring cars.

--
-Fred W
Old April 6th 06, 12:29 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"Fred W" > wrote in message
> tww wrote:
>

> > Don't consider the Prelude an appliance. At 2900 lbs with a 200 hp 2.2

ltr
> > VTEC it is a strong runner with first-rate brakes and great performance.

It
> > will give most 3 series a good run for the money. The new Civic SI I
> > recently drove is similar in execution. As far as ending up with a

Honda,
> > it is telling.

> Too bad that none of them actually handle worth a damn. If you can't
> tell the difference between a Honda and a BMW then you would be
> absolutely crazy to buy a BMW.

You are absolutely right. Convinced me I can't join your club. It's seems
pretty exclusive.

Old April 6th 06, 01:01 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 09:05:06 -0400, Fred W
> wrote:

>> It was a bit more than *just* pads and rotors, but even just pads &
>> rotors on any 5 is a minimum $500/axle at the BMW lodge.

>OK, I'll buy that. So the entire brake job would be $1000 if one were
>inclined to waste their money by bringing it to a BMW dealership for the
>job. That's half of $2000, right? How much is a brake job on a Honda
>at a Honda stealership? Oh... what's that? about $1000 you say?

Have it your way, I really don't have the energy to put a dog in this
fight. Pay what you want to for the maintenance on *your* car.

>>Hondas are fine cars. Much better than the equivalent GM and Ford
>>garbage.

>>>But they
>>>are no more exciting than a Ford Focus to me, and a lot less exciting
>>>than a Mustang or Corvette.

>> My NSX wants to take issue with you over that statement.

>Yes. Too bad they have not made one in quite some time...

Now you're on dodgy ground. I guess that even *old* NSX's are too
expensive for you to buy and maintain properly, much less to have
experienced and appreciated? Stroll on, sunshine.
--
Dan.