Oil Service Light Reset

Old April 2nd 06, 06:13 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default Oil Service Light Reset

I own a 2001 525i and I can't find the connector for reseting the oil
light! The only connector I can find is the ODC connector located down on
the dash by the brake and hood release inside the car. I do not know which
pins to ground to reset for the oil light, if it can be done? Everybody
says there is a round military connector under the hood near the fire wall
but I can't find anything like. the only connector I can find is in side
the car and it IS not round it is Square shaped with 16 pin connectors. Can
anybody help me figure this out? The dealership refuses to help unless I
pay them for their $169 oil change which I've already performed because
their price was to high!

Robert King

Old April 2nd 06, 11:01 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Here's an article describing the diagnostic connector for the 3 series. The
connector on your car will look identical.
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/ele...ce_lights.html

link.net...

Old April 3rd 06, 12:33 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"rlking" > wrote in message
link.net...
> I own a 2001 525i and I can't find the connector for reseting the oil
> light! The only connector I can find is the ODC connector located down on
> the dash by the brake and hood release inside the car. I do not know

which
> pins to ground to reset for the oil light, if it can be done? Everybody
> says there is a round military connector under the hood near the fire wall
> but I can't find anything like. the only connector I can find is in side
> the car and it IS not round it is Square shaped with 16 pin connectors.

Can
> anybody help me figure this out? The dealership refuses to help unless I
> pay them for their $169 oil change which I've already performed because
> their price was to high!
>
> Robert King

As a Honda owner (01 Prelude), I am curious as to what the dealer does for
$169.00 that a Honda dealer does for around $25.00.

Old April 3rd 06, 01:03 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"tww" > wrote in message

> "rlking" > wrote in message
> link.net...
>> I own a 2001 525i and I can't find the connector for reseting the oil
>> light! The only connector I can find is the ODC connector located down
>> on
>> the dash by the brake and hood release inside the car. I do not know

> which
>> pins to ground to reset for the oil light, if it can be done? Everybody
>> says there is a round military connector under the hood near the fire
>> wall
>> but I can't find anything like. the only connector I can find is in side
>> the car and it IS not round it is Square shaped with 16 pin connectors.

> Can
>> anybody help me figure this out? The dealership refuses to help unless I
>> pay them for their $169 oil change which I've already performed because
>> their price was to high!
>>
>> Robert King
>>

> As a Honda owner (01 Prelude), I am curious as to what the dealer does for
> $169.00 that a Honda dealer does for around $25.00.

My BMW dealer charges about $80.00 for an oil/filter change which includes
(IIRC) about 7 quarts of synthetic. An "Oil Service" includes a number of
checks and costs as much as $200.00 total.

Tom K.

Old April 3rd 06, 10:24 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 20:03:03 -0400, Tom K. wrote:

> My BMW dealer charges about $80.00 for an oil/filter change which includes
> (IIRC) about 7 quarts of synthetic. An "Oil Service" includes a number of
> checks and costs as much as $200.00 total.

I've heard it called a "Lubrication Service", I managed to keep a
straight face, and got my oil change elsewhere.. (As it is an older BMW)

Lordy

Old April 3rd 06, 10:38 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"Lordy" > wrote in message
news
> On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 20:03:03 -0400, Tom K. wrote:
>
>> My BMW dealer charges about $80.00 for an oil/filter change which
>> includes
>> (IIRC) about 7 quarts of synthetic. An "Oil Service" includes a number
>> of
>> checks and costs as much as $200.00 total.

> I've heard it called a "Lubrication Service", I managed to keep a
> straight face, and got my oil change elsewhere.. (As it is an older BMW)

Haven't heard that term since chassis grease fittings were done away with
back in the 1960's. Glad you could keep a straight face, as I'd probably
have to ask what is being lubed besides my wallet!

Tom K.

Old April 4th 06, 12:22 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"Tom K." > wrote in message

> "tww" > wrote in message
> >
> > "rlking" > wrote in message
> > link.net...
> >> I own a 2001 525i and I can't find the connector for reseting the oil
> >> light! The only connector I can find is the ODC connector located down
> >> on
> >> the dash by the brake and hood release inside the car. I do not know

> > which
> >> pins to ground to reset for the oil light, if it can be done?

Everybody
> >> says there is a round military connector under the hood near the fire
> >> wall
> >> but I can't find anything like. the only connector I can find is in

side
> >> the car and it IS not round it is Square shaped with 16 pin connectors.

> > Can
> >> anybody help me figure this out? The dealership refuses to help unless

> >> pay them for their $169 oil change which I've already performed because
> >> their price was to high!
> >>
> >> Robert King
> >>

> > As a Honda owner (01 Prelude), I am curious as to what the dealer does

for
> > $169.00 that a Honda dealer does for around $25.00.
> >

> My BMW dealer charges about $80.00 for an oil/filter change which includes
> (IIRC) about 7 quarts of synthetic. An "Oil Service" includes a number of
> checks and costs as much as $200.00 total.

My Honda dealer always throws in a 19 point check, brakes, suspension etc.
with an oil change. Mobil I synthetic, which I use, runs around $5.00 per
qt for a 5 qt capacity. The BMW sounds like the XKE I had in the mid 60s
with a 10 qt change. Of course, probably more reliable. The point is that
I was considering a 3 series BMW until an owner gave me the bad news about
the very high cost of maintenance -- like $2000 for a brake job which is
needed at around 20-30k along with $150.00 oil changes.

Old April 4th 06, 12:57 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

tww wrote:

> My Honda dealer always throws in a 19 point check, brakes, suspension etc.
> with an oil change.

Hah. That's a good one. Did you ever ask what those 19 points were and
what they actually did in this "inspection"?

> Mobil I synthetic, which I use, runs around $5.00 per
> qt for a 5 qt capacity.

Mobil 1 is about 4.50 retail by the quart. You can buy 5 quart
containers at Walmart for $20 (I'll do the math for you - that's $$ a
quart). Do you really thing the dealerships don't get a huge volume
discount for buying in 55 gallon drum volume? I'll bet they pay less
than $3 a quart.

> The BMW sounds like the XKE I had in the mid 60s
> with a 10 qt change. Of course, probably more reliable.

No, most BMWs have ~8 quart sumps, not 10. Why? Take a wild guess...
If you have more oil volume it will be able to disipate more heat (you
do know that oil is the engine's primary oil coolant don't you?)
withstand more wear and suspend more contaminants than the smaller volume.

> The point is that
> I was considering a 3 series BMW until an owner gave me the bad news about
> the very high cost of maintenance -- like $2000 for a brake job which is
> needed at around 20-30k along with $150.00 oil changes.

That's complete and utter bull****. I have never heard of a $2000 brake
job on a BMW (or any other car for that matter). The pads cost the same
as any car (anywhere from $35-85 per axle depending on brand) and even
if you figure in the disks at roughly $80-100 per corner and throw in
$150 per hour NY City labor rates it still doesn't add up to $2000.

But the most amusing (and perhaps telling) thing is that you apparently
ended up with a Honda. Good luck with that automotive appliance, pal.
I'm sure that it will supply many serviceable miles...

--
-Fred W
Old April 4th 06, 01:03 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 19:57:38 -0400, Fred W
> wrote:

>That's complete and utter bull****. I have never heard of a $2000 brake
>job on a BMW (or any other car for that matter). The pads cost the same
>as any car (anywhere from $35-85 per axle depending on brand) and even
>if you figure in the disks at roughly $80-100 per corner and throw in
>$150 per hour NY City labor rates it still doesn't add up to $2000.

Yeah? Wanna see the receipt for the full monty brake job on my M5?

>But the most amusing (and perhaps telling) thing is that you apparently
>ended up with a Honda. Good luck with that automotive appliance, pal.
>I'm sure that it will supply many serviceable miles...

Hondas are fine cars. Much better than the equivalent GM and Ford
garbage.
--
Dan.
Old April 4th 06, 01:59 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Did a four corner brake job for my 2002
325ci for about $300, BMW wanted
between 900 and 1000. I just got a
coupon from BMW for a $75 oil change.