Does E46 really require 91 fuel?

Old January 12th 06, 10:13 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default Does E46 really require 91 fuel?

SharkmanBMW wrote:
> If this clown really thinks driving the M3 will be fun in bumper to bumper
> (especially on low octane fuel)
> then let's let him.
> He will be back soon enough with clutch issues and pinging problems!
> Not to mention a worn out left foot and a sore neck from all the stop and
> starts!

Now, now... I know that there are a lot of clowns over at Barnum and
Bailey's that will be ofended by your remarks. They would not try and
put low octane gas in an M3! ;-)

--
-Fred W
Old January 12th 06, 10:34 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"Fred W" > wrote
> SharkmanBMW wrote:
>> If this clown really thinks driving the M3 will be fun in bumper to
>> bumper (especially on low octane fuel)
>> then let's let him.
>> He will be back soon enough with clutch issues and pinging problems!
>> Not to mention a worn out left foot and a sore neck from all the stop and
>> starts!

> Now, now... I know that there are a lot of clowns over at Barnum and
> Bailey's that will be ofended by your remarks. They would not try and put
> low octane gas in an M3! ;-)

The question really is: is he happy with the current situation? If so,
he should continue to drive the M3 (using premium). After all, I used
to commute in an NSX, rarely getting above 45mph, and it rides at least
as harshly as an M3. Plenty of people commute driving other similar cars,
too.

FloydR

Old January 13th 06, 05:28 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Floyd Rogers wrote:

> " > wrote
> > why it isn't suited, can you elaborate?

> Well, like yesterday, as I was creeping up the metered entrance ramp
> to I90, had to start from a stop on the (hill) ramp about 10 times (even
> waiting for two car lengths to open up in front of me.) Like today on I5
> as traffic was rolling at around 5-25 mph, forcing me between 1-2-3 gears.
> An auto 325i would get better mileage, be easier on the nerves and
> the stupid clutch stop wouldn't break off and have to be replaced.
>
> FloydR 330xi

We all have different approaches, of course, but in traffic jams like that
(5-25mph) I'd never get out of first gear most of the time - certainly not
beyond 2nd. I just love the wide, usable rpm range in each gear - think it is
one of the better features of the car. Makes, at least, the occasional
traffic jam tolerable.

Frank

Old January 13th 06, 01:06 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Gosh... so many typos...was at end of long day and I was rushing to get
home..

DAS

---

Old January 14th 06, 07:13 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

I've been driving in the traffic for the past two months and I dont
have any qualms so far. I just let long enough cushion in front of me
to keep it in the 3d gear and hit brakes & downshift once 5-6 miles.
If you like riding other's car bumpers than I can see how you would
hate driving M3 in traffic. WRT comfortability, I judge it by my
own experience coming off IS300, it's sufficiently comfortable in stock
configuration. It isnt M5, but I think M5 would put me to sleep in
traffic. BTW, speaking of changing oil. What's the recommened oil
change interval for S54, I've seen 7,500 and 12,000 mile intervals?
Is It still Castrol 10W60 or we are back to Mobil?

Old January 16th 06, 06:45 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

The key is to keep at least a 1/4 mile distance to the car in front.
=)

According to TB's I was able to google up, oil sold as Castrol TWS
10w60 is exactly what dealers use. Are you saying it isn't true?
Hasn't BMW switched from Mobil 1 10w30 to Castrol 4 years ago on S54's?

Not overpriced in BMW dealer?? I havent seen anything sold for what it
is worth in BMW dealerships. I'd be shocked if oil sold by BWM dealer
has less than 15$ overcharge added. Otherwise they would not have been
charging 200$ for oil change. BTW, what oil filter is recommended?

Ping Tigger: case study on rear O2 sensor and fuel trim Stephen H Honda 0 December 24th 05 05:37 AM
Starting Problems McNick Jeep 12 October 1st 05 03:58 AM
98 concorde starting problems xmirage2kx Chrysler 90 August 21st 05 04:32 AM
Failed Smog Check 1981 Trans AM TheSmogTech Technology 0 January 30th 05 04:16 PM
In-the-tank fuel pumps cause death and destruction Silver Surfer Chrysler 293 November 7th 04 03:41 PM