opinions ? 1999 328

Old November 20th 08, 10:54 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default opinions ? 1999 328

On Nov 20, 5:29*pm, "Floyd Rogers" > wrote:
> "Alan B. Mac Farlane" > wrote
>
> > do not get it ...

> > get the 2000 year model or better, all the new technology is in it.

> Since he hasn't said what type (sedan, coupe or convertible), this
> statement is possibly incorrect, as '99 was the first year for the
> E46 sedan.
>
> FloydR

it's 4 dr sedan, manual

Old November 20th 08, 11:19 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
tom_k

> wrote in message
On Nov 20, 5:29 pm, "Floyd Rogers" > wrote:
> "Alan B. Mac Farlane" > wrote
>
> > do not get it ...

> > get the 2000 year model or better, all the new technology is in it.

> Since he hasn't said what type (sedan, coupe or convertible), this
> statement is possibly incorrect, as '99 was the first year for the
> E46 sedan.
>
> FloydR

it's 4 dr sedan, manual

==================

The transmission is irrelevant - it's the # of doors which determines
whether a '99 is an E36 or E46. Since it has 4 doors, it's an E46.

Tom K.

Old November 20th 08, 11:31 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
JB[_7_]

"Scott Dorsey" > wrote in message
> In article >, JB >
> wrote:

>>> Why does anyone WANT all the new technology? Sheesh, I want a car that
>>> drives well, not a freaking computer network on wheels that nobody can
>>> do
>>> basic maintenance on outside of the dealership.

>>*Ding*. Why do you think I still have my E36? The E46/E39 are to me at
>>least, the first of the 'non-user-serviceable' BMWs (by that I mean the
>>mandatory use of expensive diagnostic eqpt and throw-away/non-repairable
>>parts). As such I'll stick with the older tech thanks very much.

> I don't know about that... the E28 has that funny diagnostic connector,
> which is designed for a special maintenance panel that nobody has any
> longer.... BMW has been going in that direction for far too long. It's
> only recently that it has become quite the crisis, though. And Mercedes
> is even worse.
> --scott
> --

The E23/E28/E30/E34/E36 all share the round diags connector. It's actually a
pretty simple interface, needing only £4.00 of components to connect to.
There's a fair bit of freeware/shareware out there too.
I built a simple interface lead and use a shareware program for my
diags/code readings, but you don't even need that.

JB

Old November 21st 08, 01:04 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

In article >, JB > wrote:
>The E23/E28/E30/E34/E36 all share the round diags connector. It's actually a
>pretty simple interface, needing only £4.00 of components to connect to.
>There's a fair bit of freeware/shareware out there too.
>I built a simple interface lead and use a shareware program for my
>diags/code readings, but you don't even need that.

Please tell me more! I built a little box with a lamp and a button to
reset the service indicator counters, but I did not realize that it was
still possible to extract anything else useful out of the interface.

What data can I get off of there, and how?
--scott

Old November 21st 08, 01:19 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Thanks everyone's for input..

I'm going to decide tonight so what say folks, thumbs up or thumbs
down ?

appears in excellent condition (though confessed bmw newbie)
99 328i 4dr 5 speed, black, black leather all
the options, very well maintained 107,000 miles for $7900

Old November 21st 08, 05:57 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Yvan

Nedavno Scott Dorsey napisa:

> >The E23/E28/E30/E34/E36 all share the round diags connector. It's
> >actually a pretty simple interface, needing only £4.00 of components
> >to connect to. There's a fair bit of freeware/shareware out there
> >too. I built a simple interface lead and use a shareware program for
> >my diags/code readings, but you don't even need that.

> Please tell me more! I built a little box with a lamp and a button to
> reset the service indicator counters, but I did not realize that it
> was still possible to extract anything else useful out of the
> interface.
>
> What data can I get off of there, and how?

I am also interested!

--
___ ____
/__/ / \ ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **

Old November 21st 08, 09:12 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Scott Dorsey > wrote:
> Why does anyone WANT all the new technology? Sheesh, I want a car that
> drives well, not a freaking computer network on wheels that nobody can do
> basic maintenance on outside of the dealership.

I'd say that it's a myth that basic maintenance is any more difficult
these days than it ever was. In many ways it's easier. Fault finding and
repairs may be a different matter requiring the repairer to learn new
techniques. But it was ever thus with motoring.

--
*No sentence fragments *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old November 21st 08, 09:13 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
JB > wrote:
> > Why does anyone WANT all the new technology? Sheesh, I want a car that
> > drives well, not a freaking computer network on wheels that nobody can do
> > basic maintenance on outside of the dealership.

> *Ding*. Why do you think I still have my E36? The E46/E39 are to me at
> least, the first of the 'non-user-serviceable' BMWs (by that I mean the
> mandatory use of expensive diagnostic eqpt and throw-away/non-repairable
> parts). As such I'll stick with the older tech thanks very much.

Which parts on an E39 are non repairable where they were on say an E34?

--
*The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.