545 / 540 / GS 400

Old September 21st 04, 11:48 AM
Dori A Schmetterling

If I were in the position of needing or wanting one for reasons of size I
would, probably, prefer a small 'normal' car, even second-hand, but the
Smart does have its merits. Very spacious seating. Ability to change panels
easily. Funky cabrio. Very short. Very easy to drive and park because no
extensions front and rear. If storage space needs are low it's an eminently
useful vehicle.

However, on a 'global' basis the car still isn't making any money, though in
cities like London it seems to be selling quite well. Recently I read that
it was an immediate hit in Rome and Paris.

I drove one a few months ago, deliberately choosing the smallest engine.
It's not bad at all and doesn't feel like a 'microcar', with quite a high
seating position. My neighbours have a Brabus edition (as well as a giant
Range Rover) and are very satisfied with it. Personally I question the
sense of the Brabus as it just about doubles the price of the car and you
get into the hotly contested super mini and other small car territory such
as VW and Audi.

DAS
---

[.......]

Old September 21st 04, 04:36 PM
himes

If you're not able to detect the difference 5 seconds after you turn
the key, you never will. Make the bold executive decision and sign the
lease for the Lexus now.
Old September 23rd 04, 04:23 AM
dizzy

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 16:32:06 -0400, "Fred W." <Fred.Wills@'remove this
to reply to' myrealbox.com> wrote:

>But you must admit that Lexus is NOT a car company. There is no "Lexus"
>manufacturer, etc. It is a marketing front (read ploy) to sell Toyotas for
>way more than the public would pay for a car with a Toyota badge on it.
>Sure other companies do/ did it too. But that does not absolve them from
>trying to (at least partly) pull the wool over the eyes of the collective
>public.

That's not entirely fair. The Lexus and Infinity brands are, in
general, properly engineered (read: RWD), while the Toyotas are FWD
junk. You could argue that this is this trend, with RWD cars being
relegated to the "upscale" lines, is not a "good thing", but the fact
is the cars are different...

Old October 2nd 04, 03:15 PM
GRL

Agreed, Lexus is Toyota. Toyota has a history going back generations.

Of course it is an expensive Toyota. Lexus has more expensive content than
Toyota branded cars (in general, I exclude the - sainted - Supra TT). The
mystifying thing to me is that you think that a Lexus being a Toyota is in
some way bad. It's not, it's a very good thing.

As the man who owns one if owning an up-scale Toyota is a bad thing, unless
you just want to remain ignorant in a cherished prejudice. We've had an
LS400 for eleven years (same car). Very satisfied. If it had said Toyota on
the rear deck, I'd have been just as happy...and the car would have been
still worth every penny we paid.

- GRL

om...

Old October 2nd 04, 03:27 PM
GRL

Not a good argument. If you look at the stickers on a Lexus you will find
Toyota listed as the manufacturer. I'll bet Acura and Infiniti don't hide
their parentage, either. Besides, when was the last time you talked to
anybody who did not know that Lexus is a Toyota brand, etc.? When the brands
launched this was not hidden from anyone. There was no "slick" marketing.
Their was intelligent marketing at launch (except for Infiniti's which was
just weird.)

Further, with all three Japanese up-scale brands the parent companies wanted
to create a much higher level of dealer service for the clients than could
be supported in their main outlets.

How about Mini? And now Bentley and Rolls Royce?

GRL

"Fred W." <Fred.Wills@'remove this to reply to' myrealbox.com> wrote in
message ...

Old October 2nd 04, 03:40 PM
GRL

Toyota? Junk?

Have you taken total leave of your senses or are you just recently emerged
from under a rock you've been under for half a century?

Junk? Hilarious!

- GRL

Old October 2nd 04, 03:57 PM
GRL

It never ceases to amaze me how clueless BMW people are about the Japanese
cars they seem to detest so much.

The IS is being updated with an entirely new design (from engine on up) for
2006. The GS is in no way related to the ES. The ES is a (arguably) a tarted
up Camry, a FWD car. The GS is RWD and wholly unrelated in design. Wholly.

Remember the Toyota 2000 sports car of the '60's? Remember the Toyota Supra
of the '80's? The (sainted) Supra TT super car of the '90's. Granted, not a
huge heritage, but a respectable one of quite sporting
machinery...especially the TT.

Another thing, all you BMW and Merc guys out there should be grateful that
Lexus and the other Japanese high-priced spread brands came along. BMW and
Mercedes were building expensive, unreliable crap (with a heritage) before
these brands came along and taught luxury car buyers that you don't have to
put up with that sort of nonsense any more. The improvements that you see in
Beemer and Merc quality are a direct result of that rude awakening they got
in the late '80's early '90's, although there has been some back-sliding of
late. You make not like the Japanese brands, but you have benefited from
their existence. Show some appreciation.

GRL
"Michael Low" > wrote in message
om...
> "Dori A Schmetterling" > wrote in message

> > You're obviously aggrieved about something, but I should like to ask

what
> > you mean.
> >
> > BMW is essentially a jumped-up motorcycle manufacturer from 1948 that

was
> > almost bought up by Mecedes-Benz when it was on the brink of bankruptcy

in
> > the fifties... :-)
> >
> > Ok, engine and aircraft manufacture goes back to 1916, but Toyota isn't

that

Old October 2nd 04, 04:01 PM
GRL

The Avalon is a FWD design based on the Camry. No relation to the GS. Come
on people, get it straight!

GRL

oups.com...

Old October 2nd 04, 04:11 PM
GRL

The IS300 does not drive quite as well as a 330i (drove both consecutively).
It's only real negatives are that it is a little small and the six, while a
good one, is not a modern design and power is marginal. We'll see if they
fix things in 2006. Sure hope so. An IS with jut a bit more room and 260 hp
(same handling as now) would be extremely attractive for the person looking
for a sporting sedan. Extremely.

GRL

oups.com...