Broken water pump pulley bolt

Old June 22nd 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BAK

Default Broken water pump pulley bolt

Just finished changing the water pump and timing belt in my "95 and broke a
bolt in the water pump pulley. Everything was already reassembled, but I
just HAD to reach in with a socket and check to see if I had tightened them.
I know it cannot stay that way and plan on taking it apart and fixing in
about a week (next available time alotment). Is it safe to drive short
distances with one bolt missing?

Old June 22nd 07, 05:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BRUCE HASKIN

BAK,
While you are out on one of your "short" drives, buy a torque wrench.
:-)

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Old June 23rd 07, 12:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BAK

"BRUCE HASKIN" > wrote in message
> BAK,
> While you are out on one of your "short" drives, buy a torque wrench.
> :-)
>
> Bruce Bing '03 LS

Gee thanks, you're a great guy.
The socket was on a click type torque wrench. Evidently, the bolt had been
stressed previously, because I barely started to move it when it twisted
off. I didn't even feel resistance. I also had to remove two other broken
bolts from the head (they hold the seal plate with the cam alignment marks)
that the PO had broken and obviously felt were too much trouble to fool
with.

Old June 23rd 07, 05:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BRUCE HASKIN

BAK,
Yes, that is a problem you can't control. When you buy a car that
someone has "worked on", you never know how much "over work" :-) has
ben done to it. Good luck with your project.
PS: miata.net has a "torque list" you can copy for ref.

Bruce Bing "03 LS

Old June 23rd 07, 02:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

BRUCE HASKIN wrote:
> BAK,
> Yes, that is a problem you can't control. When you buy a car that
> someone has "worked on", you never know how much "over work" :-) has
> ben done to it. Good luck with your project.
> PS: miata.net has a "torque list" you can copy for ref.
>
> Bruce Bing "03 LS

I know someone who had a shock tower nut snap off before the bolt had
even seated when putting on a shock tower brace.

That went from a job that is very easy and only takes a few minutes to
buying a $70.00+ part from the dealer and doing a front shock swap-out.

Fun stuff....

Pat
Old July 12th 07, 10:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck

Shock mounts & nuts/bolts used to be a real problem. We'd spray the nuts and
threads, with whatever was popular at the time to loosen rusted parts, tell
the customer to come back or leave the car overnight to allow the stuff to
work. If you really want trouble, think about worn deformed kingpins. Ecch!