Brakes Seem Spongy on '01 SL2

Old January 3rd 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default Brakes Seem Spongy on '01 SL2

We recently had a front brake job done on our 2001 SL2. Within a few days
there was anoticeable vibration in the pedal. The mechanic who did the
work said he believed that since we were feeling the vibration in the
pedal instead of the steering wheel that the problem was with the rear
brakes. He had the drums turned and adjusted the brakes.
When my wife picked up the car he told her the brakes would feel "spongy"
for a while. It has been 4 weeks the brakes are still spongy and sometimes
the pedal goes almost to the floor. I cannot cause the brakes to lock up
(No they are not ABS).
The mechanic is going to take another look at the brakes because he says
they "feel like ther is an ABS problem" even though he knows they are not
ABS.
Any thoughts other than finding a new mechanic?

Old January 3rd 06, 12:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Brake pulsing is most likely the front rotors. Were they turned or
replaced? It sounds like the mechanic may have tried to re-use them without
turning them or if they were replaced, possibly with low grade rotors that
had warpage and now need turning? What parts and labor were you charged for
on this service receipt?

On the spongy brake pedal, this is usually air that was introduced into the
brake lines during improper bleeding or allowing the master cylinder to get
too low on fluid. In either case, if you re-bleed the brakes it should
address the soft pedal. I sincerely doubt it is the rear brakes since they
were not touched.

I would definitely consider finding a new mechanic.

Bob

lkaboutautos.com...

Old January 4th 06, 12:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

The rotors were replaced with non-OEM rotors. I don't believe they were
turned.

Thanks for the replies.

Old January 7th 06, 07:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

"blah blah" > wrote in message
snip
>I dont even fool with turning
> rotors anymore. I just buy the cheap china made rotors and quality brake
> pads that are usually made in the states. If I get a bad rotor I can
> still replace it 3 times before I reach the OEM price.

I agree.

Old January 7th 06, 07:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

snip