Clutch Chirp

Old November 4th 05, 10:02 PM
Prometheus7

Default Clutch Chirp

Hi,

I have a 2002 Miata, 35,000 miles. There's a constant chirp when my clutch
is all the way let out (my foot off it). If I push in just barely, not
enough to really disengage anything, it stops. The chirp occurs whether I'm
in or out gear. I can hear it when I pass by a building and hear the echo
back to me. Is this just an adjustment? Something I can do (a novice)?

Thanks,

David

Old November 5th 05, 05:39 AM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
"Prometheus7" > wrote:

> There's a constant chirp when my clutch
> is all the way let out (my foot off it). If I push in just barely, not
> enough to really disengage anything, it stops.

Apply a small dab of white lithium grease where the clutch slave
cylinder pushrod touches the throwout arm. It's just behind and inboard
of the right front wheel. Repeat at every oil change. It's not serious,
just annoying.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old November 5th 05, 11:36 PM
Prometheus7

Tried the grease and voilla! The noise stopped. Thank you. thank you.
thank you.

Old November 7th 05, 10:58 PM
Dana H. Myers

Prometheus7 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a 2002 Miata, 35,000 miles. There's a constant chirp when my clutch
> is all the way let out (my foot off it). If I push in just barely, not
> enough to really disengage anything, it stops. The chirp occurs whether I'm
> in or out gear. I can hear it when I pass by a building and hear the echo
> back to me. Is this just an adjustment? Something I can do (a novice)?

I've got an '02 Miata SE, too, 32k miles. I'm getting a clutch chirp,
but it's only in 2nd gear and only when I really quickly shift from first
to second gear while accelerating rapidly, like 3/4 to full throttle. It's
odd that it's coming from the clutch because it really seems to come from the
rear of the car, but it's only when I'm letting the clutch out so it must
be some kind of clutch chirp.

Lenny suggests a lubrication point, but that hasn't helped. The chirp
got worse, by quite a bit, after I installed a Sebring-type supercharger
kit at 13k miles.

It's really quite bewildering.

Dana
Old November 7th 05, 11:31 PM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
"Dana H. Myers" > wrote:

> Lenny suggests a lubrication point, but that hasn't helped. The chirp
> got worse, by quite a bit, after I installed a Sebring-type supercharger
> kit at 13k miles.

Different chirp, Dana. The other is a tweet-tweet-tweet sound in
neutral. Yours is coming from the disk itself, as it slips under load.
If your supercharger is making it worse, expect to need a new clutch
sooner rather than later. A stronger replacement probably won't make the
noise, because it won't slip.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old November 8th 05, 01:07 AM
Dana H. Myers

Lanny Chambers wrote:
> In article >,
> "Dana H. Myers" > wrote:
>

>>Lenny suggests a lubrication point, but that hasn't helped. The chirp
>>got worse, by quite a bit, after I installed a Sebring-type supercharger
>>kit at 13k miles.

> Different chirp, Dana. The other is a tweet-tweet-tweet sound in
> neutral. Yours is coming from the disk itself, as it slips under load.
> If your supercharger is making it worse, expect to need a new clutch
> sooner rather than later. A stronger replacement probably won't make the
> noise, because it won't slip.

It isn't coming the area of the clutch; it's coming from the area
of the rear wheels and it sounds like rubber tires squealing.

Dana
Old November 8th 05, 02:45 AM
Leon van Dommelen

"Dana H. Myers" > wrote:

>Prometheus7 wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a 2002 Miata, 35,000 miles. There's a constant chirp when my clutch
>> is all the way let out (my foot off it). If I push in just barely, not
>> enough to really disengage anything, it stops. The chirp occurs whether I'm
>> in or out gear. I can hear it when I pass by a building and hear the echo
>> back to me. Is this just an adjustment? Something I can do (a novice)?

>I've got an '02 Miata SE, too, 32k miles. I'm getting a clutch chirp,
>but it's only in 2nd gear and only when I really quickly shift from first
>to second gear while accelerating rapidly, like 3/4 to full throttle. It's
>odd that it's coming from the clutch because it really seems to come from the
>rear of the car, but it's only when I'm letting the clutch out so it must
>be some kind of clutch chirp.

Does not seem necessary to me. When you are letting the clutch out,
you are also reapplying driving forces to the drive train. Something
else might conceivably chirp when a lot of thrust force is applied
while the part in question is already moving at significant rotational
speed. Uncounted possibilities from broken spot welds to LSD (car or
driver) come to mind.

>Lenny suggests a lubrication point, but that hasn't helped. The chirp
>got worse, by quite a bit, after I installed a Sebring-type supercharger
>kit at 13k miles.

I would suggest a volume level knob.

Leon

>It's really quite bewildering.
>
>Dana

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old November 8th 05, 03:14 AM
Chuck

There may be a squeak or chirp coming from the bushings in the rear axle
assembly when you upshift at high throttle settings.. This usually will
occur (if it occurs) on super and turbo charged Miatas. Try lubing the
bushings with rubber lubricant. Or ignore it as I do.

news

Old November 8th 05, 04:18 AM
Dana H. Myers

Chuck wrote:
> There may be a squeak or chirp coming from the bushings in the rear axle
> assembly when you upshift at high throttle settings.. This usually will
> occur (if it occurs) on super and turbo charged Miatas. Try lubing the
> bushings with rubber lubricant. Or ignore it as I do.

>>It isn't coming the area of the clutch; it's coming from the area
>>of the rear wheels and it sounds like rubber tires squealing.

It's not the bushing. It's the tires. It was a joke.

;-)

Dana

What now?? (Clutch slave again) Eric Jeep 11 May 29th 05 06:38 AM
Clutch slipping. Clutch cyl or need a new clutch bobbob1015 BMW 6 May 21st 05 12:19 AM
Wrong Clutch Fork? Michael White Jeep 6 February 8th 05 03:33 AM
Wacky Clutch Peter Pontbriand Jeep 14 December 19th 04 12:42 PM
Land Rover Series 3 Clutch bc 4x4 0 August 13th 04 03:36 PM