I love my new shoes!

Old June 7th 11, 09:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Alan Baker

Default I love my new shoes!

Since I got my new wheels and tires (949Racing.com's 6ULs in 15x7.5 with
Toyo Tires T1Rs in 195/50) I've started to feel the love for my Miata
again. After the drive home along highway 2 in Washington State and
showing them off to everyone, I've:

Had the car washed and the interior vacuumed.

ArmorAlled everything vinyl or plastic.

Installed (and properly torqued!) new spark plugs (and even retorqued
them after a couple of days; they did work a little loose).

Bought a timing light and discovered that my Miata has already had its
timing advanced to 14° BTDC (which explains why I have to use at least
mid-grade gasoline if I don't want to hear the occasional ping).

And along the way take rides along several fun roads. If you're
interested, Google Map:

Cypress Mountain Road, West Vancouver.

Sasamat Lane, North Vancouver

Mt. Seymour Rd., North Vancouver (this one in particular; kilometres of
twisting one lane asphalt‹in really good shape!, cut between primordial
forest.

I've used my iPhone and an app called "Dynolicious" to record friction
circle g's and timed acceleration runs. So far, my best skidpad number
is 0.9g and my best 0-50 is 8.11 seconds. The tires are amazing; 0.9g
was done without so much as a hint of tire squeal, and running down the
mountain roads (where being a little down on power doesn't matter very
much) is just too much fun.

And what I've discovered is that I want new shocks and springs...

....right away. The only trouble at some points on those roads is the
lack of composure caused by too soft springs and completely worn-out
shocks.

I'm thinking Flyin' Miata's AFCOs might be the best call.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old June 12th 11, 05:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Carbon

On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 01:20:02 -0700, Alan Baker wrote:

> Since I got my new wheels and tires (949Racing.com's 6ULs in 15x7.5
> with Toyo Tires T1Rs in 195/50) I've started to feel the love for my
> Miata again. After the drive home along highway 2 in Washington State
> and showing them off to everyone, I've:
>
> Had the car washed and the interior vacuumed.
>
> ArmorAlled everything vinyl or plastic.
>
> Installed (and properly torqued!) new spark plugs (and even retorqued
> them after a couple of days; they did work a little loose).
>
> Bought a timing light and discovered that my Miata has already had its
> timing advanced to 14° BTDC (which explains why I have to use at least
> mid-grade gasoline if I don't want to hear the occasional ping).
>
> And along the way take rides along several fun roads. If you're
> interested, Google Map:
>
> Cypress Mountain Road, West Vancouver.
>
> Sasamat Lane, North Vancouver
>
> Mt. Seymour Rd., North Vancouver (this one in particular; kilometres
> of twisting one lane asphalt‹in really good shape!, cut between
> primordial forest.
>
> I've used my iPhone and an app called "Dynolicious" to record friction
> circle g's and timed acceleration runs. So far, my best skidpad number
> is 0.9g and my best 0-50 is 8.11 seconds. The tires are amazing; 0.9g
> was done without so much as a hint of tire squeal, and running down
> the mountain roads (where being a little down on power doesn't matter
> very much) is just too much fun.
>
> And what I've discovered is that I want new shocks and springs...
>
> ...right away. The only trouble at some points on those roads is the
> lack of composure caused by too soft springs and completely worn-out
> shocks.
>
> I'm thinking Flyin' Miata's AFCOs might be the best call.

I couldn't tell you about that, though I'm sure they must be decent if
they survived the Targa Newfoundland...

Have a request: do a build diary on your car when you do the
modifications. Doesn't have to be fancy or high effort. They're fun to
read and would be useful for other NA owners.

Here's one I enjoyed: http://www.targamiata.com/diary.php
Old June 15th 11, 04:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Carbon" >
>> Have a request: do a build diary on your car when you do the

> modifications. Doesn't have to be fancy or high effort. They're fun to
> read and would be useful for other NA owners.
>
> Here's one I enjoyed: http://www.targamiata.com/diary.php

I thoroughly enjoyed that too. Nicely done. What a car! I just watched the
latest Targa Newfoundland and didn't see the 'lil Miata in it, I wonder
what's up with that. I figured that to be an annual event for Keith.

Chris
99BBB

Old June 15th 11, 05:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Alan Baker

In article >,
"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

> "Carbon" >
> >> Have a request: do a build diary on your car when you do the

> > modifications. Doesn't have to be fancy or high effort. They're fun to
> > read and would be useful for other NA owners.
> >
> > Here's one I enjoyed: http://www.targamiata.com/diary.php

> I thoroughly enjoyed that too. Nicely done. What a car! I just watched the
> latest Targa Newfoundland and didn't see the 'lil Miata in it, I wonder
> what's up with that. I figured that to be an annual event for Keith.

I think that having a job must have got in the way...

:-)

Old June 18th 11, 08:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Carbon

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 09:52:07 -0700, Alan Baker wrote:
> In article >, "Chris
> D'Agnolo" > wrote:
>> "Carbon"
>>
>>> Have a request: do a build diary on your car when you do the
>>> modifications. Doesn't have to be fancy or high effort. They're fun
>>> to read and would be useful for other NA owners.
>>>
>>> Here's one I enjoyed: http://www.targamiata.com/diary.php

>> I thoroughly enjoyed that too. Nicely done. What a car! I just
>> watched the latest Targa Newfoundland and didn't see the 'lil Miata
>> in it, I wonder what's up with that. I figured that to be an annual
>> event for Keith.

> I think that having a job must have got in the way...

He's going this year with his Miata, this time in the Unlimited class
with an LS V8 under the hood. I'm not sure he'll be able to beat the
cost-no-object rally cars, but the performance of that Miata is going
to surprise a lot of folks.
Old June 19th 11, 05:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Carbon" > He's going this year with his Miata, this time in the Unlimited
class
> with an LS V8 under the hood. I'm not sure he'll be able to beat the
> cost-no-object rally cars, but the performance of that Miata is going
> to surprise a lot of folks.

So, did he skip a year and then he's going back? The recent show I watched,
I assume was a recent (2011) Targa Newfoundland but I can't say that I
remember checking the 'info' to confirm. There was a real giant killer in
the mix. It was a Nissan 240sx that the driver described as a $15,000 gravel
rally car, that was competing nip and tuck with $200,000 and $300,000 cars
until they pushed a bit too hard and it got away from them and they crashed
it. Fun show!

Chris
99BBB

Old June 20th 11, 01:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Carbon

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 23:17:42 -0500, Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> "Carbon" wrote:
>
>> He's going this year with his Miata, this time in the Unlimited class
>> with an LS V8 under the hood. I'm not sure he'll be able to beat the
>> cost-no-object rally cars, but the performance of that Miata is going
>> to surprise a lot of folks.

> So, did he skip a year and then he's going back? The recent show I
> watched, I assume was a recent (2011) Targa Newfoundland but I can't
> say that I remember checking the 'info' to confirm. There was a real
> giant killer in the mix. It was a Nissan 240sx that the driver
> described as a $15,000 gravel rally car, that was competing nip and
> tuck with $200,000 and $300,000 cars until they pushed a bit too hard
> and it got away from them and they crashed it. Fun show!

I think that was the 2010 race.

Keith Tanner built his Targa Miata for the Targa Newfoundland 2008, and
raced in 2008 with his wife as co-driver. With close to three times the
power, this year's car ought to be pretty exciting to watch. I'm looking
forward to it. More details he http://www.targamiata.com/index.php