35.97 mpg...

Old September 14th 10, 12:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
peter

Default 35.97 mpg...

On Sep 12, 12:05*am, Donwill > wrote:
> On 07/09/2010 19:44, Tim M. wrote:
>
> > ... was my calculated[1] fuel consumption rate for an ~84 mile drive
> > from Fredericksburg, Virginia, to Reston, Virginia on Sunday. *I
> > intentionally drove as conciously of fuel consumption as possible,
> > without causing a dangerous situation. *Average speeds were in the
> > 55-63 mph range, with just a few stoplights and runs through the
> > gears. Mostly 4-lane state and county highways, with speed limits of
> > either 55mph or 60mph, but with most traffic running at 65-75 mph; I
> > stayed in the right lane and lost count of the number of vehicles that
> > passed me. *I passed *maybe* 10-12 trucks during the entire run.

> > 1997 Miata 1.8l "M" edition, dead stock, 60k miles on it, with top
> > down, and two passengers; normal (mostly around town) MPG is ~28;
> > normal highway mpg is ~30-32.

> > I was pleased with the results, but it was difficult to drive the
> > Miata that way, even for just 84 miles! * I probably won't do it
> > again, just to save a couple of tenths of a gallon of gas. *;-)

> > Tim

> > [1] topped off before and after, to the top of the filler neck;
> > 'burped' to elminate the dreaded air bubble(s).

> Have a look at this thread:http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/forums/t/20364.aspx
> Don

part of his 40 mpg is imperial gallons...a larger than ours, sorry
guys the brit are bigger than we are on this one

One imperial gallon is approximately equal to 1.201 U.S. gallons.
One imperial gallon is exactly 4.54609 litres, whereas one U.S. gallon
is exactly 3.7854118 liters.
(http://wiki.answers.com/Q/
How_does_an_Imperial_gallon_compare_to_the_US_gall on)

peter

Old September 15th 10, 01:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"peter" > wrote in message

part of his 40 mpg is imperial gallons...a larger than ours, sorry
guys the brit are bigger than we are on this one

One imperial gallon is approximately equal to 1.201 U.S. gallons.
One imperial gallon is exactly 4.54609 litres, whereas one U.S. gallon
is exactly 3.7854118 liters.
(http://wiki.answers.com/Q/
How_does_an_Imperial_gallon_compare_to_the_US_gall on)

peter

Thanks Peter, that makes allot of sense. When he's quoting Imperial gallons,
he should be quoting kilometers so we clue in quicker ;-)

Chris
99BBB

Old September 15th 10, 11:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck[_13_]

On 9/14/2010 7:09 AM, peter wrote:
> On Sep 7, 2:44 pm, "Tim > wrote:
>> ... was my calculated[1] fuel consumption rate for an ~84 mile drive
>> from Fredericksburg, Virginia, to Reston, Virginia on Sunday. I
>> intentionally drove as conciously of fuel consumption as possible,
>> without causing a dangerous situation. Average speeds were in the
>> 55-63 mph range, with just a few stoplights and runs through the
>> gears. Mostly 4-lane state and county highways, with speed limits of
>> either 55mph or 60mph, but with most traffic running at 65-75 mph; I
>> stayed in the right lane and lost count of the number of vehicles that
>> passed me. I passed *maybe* 10-12 trucks during the entire run

> i did this w/ a 04 buick lesabre...got close to 32...everyone,
> including trucks, passed me
>

>> 1997 Miata 1.8l "M" edition, dead stock, 60k miles on it, with top
>> down, and two passengers; normal (mostly around town) MPG is ~28;
>> normal highway mpg is ~30-32.

> swmbo's 95 m-ed w/ a rebuilt motor, tranny jr supercharger and
> recently added "powerbox" which was not on the old sc'd motor gets
> less than 24, maybe even 22 overall...disappointed! i think the old
> motor was closer to 28
>

> peter

With my 99LE, which is a bit heavy (+100 lbs. or so above stock), and a
SBB turbo--
Highway cruise mileage is about the same as it was before the turbo,
with a very slight improvement if I use a stock thermostat.
The mileage goes from about 31-32 to about 28-29 with a 180 Deg.
thermostat and "detuning" to "safely" use 90 octane instead of 93.
Detuning also reduces the max HP from ~220 to ~180 at full throttle.

Red Miatas go faster than white ones, since they don't have as much
"photon pressure" to fight. More photons get converted to heat.
(Let's see if Leon is still around!) (>G<)
Old September 21st 10, 07:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Brocker

On Sep 15, 10:19*pm, Chuck > wrote:
> On 9/14/2010 7:09 AM, peter wrote:
>

> > On Sep 7, 2:44 pm, "Tim > *wrote:
> >> ... was my calculated[1] fuel consumption rate for an ~84 mile drive
> >> from Fredericksburg, Virginia, to Reston, Virginia on Sunday. *I
> >> intentionally drove as conciously of fuel consumption as possible,
> >> without causing a dangerous situation. *Average speeds were in the
> >> 55-63 mph range, with just a few stoplights and runs through the
> >> gears. Mostly 4-lane state and county highways, with speed limits of
> >> either 55mph or 60mph, but with most traffic running at 65-75 mph; I
> >> stayed in the right lane and lost count of the number of vehicles that
> >> passed me. *I passed *maybe* 10-12 trucks during the entire run

> > i did this w/ a 04 buick lesabre...got close to 32...everyone,
> > including trucks, passed me

> >> 1997 Miata 1.8l "M" edition, dead stock, 60k miles on it, with top
> >> down, and two passengers; normal (mostly around town) MPG is ~28;
> >> normal highway mpg is ~30-32.

> > swmbo's 95 m-ed w/ a rebuilt motor, *tranny jr supercharger and
> > recently added "powerbox" which was not on the old sc'd motor gets
> > less than 24, maybe even 22 overall...disappointed! i think the old
> > motor was closer to 28

> > peter

> With my 99LE, which is a bit heavy (+100 lbs. or so above stock), and a
> SBB turbo--
> Highway cruise mileage is about the same as it was before the turbo,
> with a very slight improvement if I use a stock thermostat.
> The mileage goes from about 31-32 to about 28-29 with a 180 Deg.
> thermostat and "detuning" to "safely" use 90 octane instead of 93.
> Detuning also reduces the max HP from ~220 to ~180 at full throttle.
>
> Red Miatas go faster than white ones, since they don't have as much
> "photon pressure" to fight. More photons get converted to heat.
> (Let's see if Leon is still around!) *(>G<)

But White corners better because of the extra downward force, and are
only slower on the straight driving toward the sunset:-)
Old September 26th 10, 05:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
KWS[_2_]

On 9/11/2010 9:26 PM, Carbon wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Sep 2010 23:25:20 -0500, Lanny Chambers wrote:
>> In >, "Chris
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> This is a brutal exercise though isn't it!? You do it once and you
>>> don't want to do it again!

>> Roger that. I did a gas mileage rally once, and came in second with
>> 37.4 mpg. It was horrible, staying under 2500 rpm and using as little
>> throttle or brakes as possible. Never qagain.
>>
>> BTW, the winner had a 1.6 and got FORTY-TWO! I think he overinflated
>> his tires beforehand, whereas I did nothing whatsoever for
>> preparation.

> The entire point of a car like a Miata is being able to rip through the
> gears without being a menace to society and while still returning
> reasonable mileage.
>
> I have a geek buddy who has a Prius and thinks hypermiling is the best
> possible thing you can do with a car. We agreed to disagree.

My wife's car is an Escape Hybrid. I drive that car totally different
than I drive the Miata. We were in San Francisco yesterday and I could
drive with traffic continuously right below 30MPH and run the battery
out. Our average with that car is around 30MPG.

The Miata gets driven like a Miata should. I have no idea what the gas
mileage is and don't really care. No complaints, of course; quite the
opposite.

Ken
Old September 27th 10, 04:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Tim M.[_2_]

Old October 16th 10, 03:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
xyzzy

TOn Sep 11, 10:24*pm, "Chris D'Agnolo" >
wrote:
> "BK" > wrote in message

> >I just got back from a 1300+ mile trip...some interstate...a couple of days
> >backroading in a rally...some city driving. *We averaged a little over 32
> >mpg for the trip. *Dino is a 90.

> That's amazing, I can't seem to get over 27 but then I can't seem to cruise
> on the freeway at anything below 70. Not sure if my mileage is 'normal' or
> below.
>
> Later,
> cd
> 99BBB

27ish is about what I average in my '96 in mixed but weighted toward
highway driving. FWIW I've owned the car since new and over time it's
been drifting down from the 30 or so I used to consistently get. Don't
know if it's because of an aging car or increased prevalence of E10
gas.
Old October 16th 10, 04:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article
xyzzy > wrote:

> 27ish is about what I average in my '96 in mixed but weighted toward
> highway driving. FWIW I've owned the car since new and over time it's
> been drifting down from the 30 or so I used to consistently get. Don't
> know if it's because of an aging car or increased prevalence of E10
> gas.

E10 reduces mileage by about 10%. It's just inert filler, sold at
gasoline prices; there's no benefit, yet we're forced to buy it because
ConAgra's lobbyists bought our legislators. Worse, the carbon footprint
of the ethanol manufacturing process is larger than the gasoline it
replaces. It's all about money, as usual: the enrichment of a few at the
expense of many.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old October 22nd 10, 07:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Tim M.

On Oct 16, 11:12*am, Lanny Chambers > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> *xyzzy > wrote:
> > 27ish is about what I average in my '96 in mixed but weighted toward
> > highway driving. FWIW I've owned the car since new and over time it's
> > been drifting down from the 30 or so I used to consistently get. Don't
> > know if it's because of an aging car or increased prevalence of E10
> > gas.

> E10 reduces mileage by about 10%. It's just inert filler, sold at
> gasoline prices; there's no benefit, yet we're forced to buy it because
> ConAgra's lobbyists bought our legislators. Worse, the carbon footprint
> of the ethanol manufacturing process is larger than the gasoline it
> replaces. It's all about money, as usual: the enrichment of a few at the
> expense of many.

Regardless of your political views of the use of ethanol as a fuel or
as a fuel additive, it is most certainly not an "inert filler" - an
engine can (and many do) run on ethanol alone.

Furthermore, a 90/10 gasoline/ethanol mixture does not reduce fuel
economy by 10%; it is closer to 3 to 4% in a standard gasoline-engine
vehicle.
Old October 23rd 10, 06:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article
"Tim M." > wrote:

> Furthermore, a 90/10 gasoline/ethanol mixture does not reduce fuel
> economy by 10%

Back when I could still buy real gasoline in neighboring counties, I
watched my mileage bounce between 27 and 30 depending on where I filled
up. This was consistent over years. Looks a lot like 10% to me. I don't
care what Big Agriculture tells you, I have personal experience. 10%
ethanol = 10% power loss/mileage reduction...looks pretty inert from
where I stand. A total crock.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO

41 MPG city Fusion Hybrid more efficient than Camry Hybrid's 33 MPG [email protected] Technology 118 February 11th 09 03:51 PM
MPG GT[_1_] Alfa Romeo 0 July 2nd 07 01:52 PM
MPG? William Warren Chrysler 4 October 4th 05 07:19 PM
AT has better MPG than MT? Bucky Honda 17 June 10th 05 09:13 PM