Newbie question

Old April 29th 10, 01:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
johnny p.

Default Newbie question

XS11E wrote:

> The OPs only hope is to get the wife to love the Miata.....

Boy, that'd be hard. You'd have to let her drive it at least once.

yrs jp
Old April 29th 10, 02:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Don Q[_2_]

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the feedback. VERY educational!
Please excuse the aggregate reply...

> If you are short, thin, flexible,

Not short but otherwise OK. I have sat in both. The Elise reminded me
of a description from the sixties (Can't recall which car, I think it
may have been something in Road & Track); shoehorn to get in, corkscrew
to get out... :-) The SLK hood disappears 2 inches past the windshield,
from the driver's seat hard to gauge exactly where the corners are.

My main objection to the Elise is actually also an issue with the MX-5:
noise. In the case of the MX-5, the needlessly high RPMs at highway
speeds. The first mod to consider may be a ring and pinion swap.

> SLK should be a good if rather boring ride.

I'm at an age where boring is beginning to sound good. :-)
However thanks to the link provided, we have read the numerous problem
reports and I think MB is out of contention at this point.

> On the used market a late model Elise can be had for a very

reasonable price.

Which brings up another tangent, What about a used, say 2nd gen. Miata?
The thinking here is, if I go with a Mazda and we do not love it, the
initial depreciation on a six-month old car is a huge and needless
waste, whereas I would probably lose nothing on a 2002-2005 model.

> One other car that you may want to consider is the new BMW Z4.

Umm, no thanks. I briefly owned a used 325i from the 80s. The car was
nice enough, as long as you did not have to have anything fixed. Plus I
don't find the looks sexy or luxurious. In my opinion the "pleasure and
prestige" of having a bimmer does not justify the cost of ownership.
Just not a fan of the blue and white.

> It's too brutal and too Spartan to be an acceptable daily driver,

worse than many motorcycles.

I guess that decides that. I know I would enjoy weekend outings but I
want something flexible enough to be a daily driver when needed. Plus a
chunk of my driving is on the highway where "handling" is not a factor.
We might do the odd Solo-I, other than that there are no plans for any
track time.

> If you're even considering a Miata, then you're not in the SLK demographic

Not sure what you mean. I consider myself a part of the "two-seater"
demographic. I even looked at an R8, but letting eldest son loose in
one of those killed that idea fast. (Yes, I realize he can damage
himself seriously even in a Prius...)

> SLK is fine, I've not actually been in one, but I believe they are

well regarded.

My big beef is that the current crop of "sports" cars have zero room
behind the seats for your laptop and whatnot. I briefly considered and
older 500SL (R129 series), but that starts to get too big and heavy for
my taste.

> Tweaking to your personal tastes is what's a big part of the fun with

these little roadsters.

Tweaking, absolutely. Going to a V8? Too much time and trouble! I would
search for a Sunbeam Tiger instead.

> Do what she wants or live to regret it.

Ha ha ha! Loved that.

Don't want to go off on another tangent, nor to offend anyone, I
consider myself blessed because my wife was not born or raised here.
Different culture, different attitude.

cheers

Don

Old April 29th 10, 06:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >, Don Q wrote:

> Which brings up another tangent, What about a used, say 2nd gen. Miata?

Excellent idea. Don't ignore the first-gens, either, which many prefer.
Condition is everything, mileage less important as long as the price
reflects it. After all, we're talking under $4k for a decent 1994-97,
and it's reasonable to expect 250k miles without major repairs from a
well-maintained Miata. If you don't like it, you can probably flip it
with virtually no loss.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old April 30th 10, 02:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Don Q" wrote in message news:00b81b70$0$2888>
> cheers
>
> Don

Don't apologize for that response, it was pretty comprehensive! Don, you've
come around to my way of thinking. My first (92) Miata carried me faithfully
for 5 yrs and 75k miles and I sold it (somewhat improved) for about $500
less than I paid for it! Current 99 was an incredible bargain (imho) with
40k on the clock and I've spent between 5 and 6 years putting 75k on it. I
can still get most of my money back out of this one if I could ever convince
myself to part with it ;-) It's very nearly the perfect car for me (and
maybe you, it sounds like). I can rat race it around to my hearts content
and get 25 mpg. I can easily take the wife and run off for a weekend trip.
With a trunk rack or a mini trailer, there would be few limitations! Trust
me, you'll never regret it. Jump in and give it a whirl, you can't lose!

Chris
99BBB

Old April 30th 10, 02:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Don Q[_2_]

On 2010-04-29 21:07:01 -0400, "Chris D'Agnolo" > said:

> Trust me, you'll never regret it. Jump in and give it a whirl, you
> can't lose!

The son is a little hesitant. Apparently in some circles this Mazda has
a somewhat sissy image, a chick car or a hairdresser's car were the
terms he has heard.

I myself am too old and too comfortable in who/what I am to worry about
such things but when one is young peer pressure can be strong.

Nevertheless I believe we are soon to join the Miata family. I am
guessing that the number of girls calling him will double and the nasty
comments will fade away.

Thanks to all for the solid advice. I'm lucky to have found this NG.

cheers

Don

Old April 30th 10, 04:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >, Don Q wrote:

> I am guessing that the number of girls calling him will double and
> the nasty comments will fade away.

The Miata is indeed a "girl's car." Women love it. Among my personal
experiences:

A Camaro passed me, and the driver's pretty girlfriend rolled down the
window, leaned halfway out, and yelled "Nice car!" at 60 mph. The
boyfriend was presumably not amused.

More than a couple of times, I've returned to the Miata in a mall
parking lot to find it surrounded by women.

A woman on a Harley (!) pulled up next to me at a stoplight and offered
to swap rides.

Guys with mullets have every reason to feel threatened by Miatas!

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old April 30th 10, 09:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Don Q[_2_]

On 2010-04-30 11:21:34 -0400, Lanny Chambers > said:

> Guys with mullets have every reason to feel threatened by Miatas!

Mullets! That was priceless. Thanks,

Old May 1st 10, 12:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Don Q wrote:
> On 2010-04-30 11:21:34 -0400, Lanny Chambers > said:
>
>> Guys with mullets have every reason to feel threatened by Miatas!

> Mullets! That was priceless. Thanks,

I wanted to get a mullet in honor of the new Camaro, but I no longer
have enough hair on top to pull this look off, so I must settle for a
"skullet".

> http://dwave.files.wordpress.com/200...sentation3.pdf

Pat
Old May 2nd 10, 12:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"pws" > wrote in message > I wanted to get a mullet
in honor of the new Camaro, but I no longer
> have enough hair on top to pull this look off, so I must settle for a
> "skullet".
>
>> http://dwave.files.wordpress.com/200...sentation3.pdf

> Pat

Good research Pat! I can't wait to see you with that skullet!

Chris
99BBB

Old May 3rd 10, 11:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

> "pws" > wrote in message > I wanted to get a
> mullet in honor of the new Camaro, but I no longer
>> have enough hair on top to pull this look off, so I must settle for a
>> "skullet".
>>
>>> http://dwave.files.wordpress.com/200...sentation3.pdf

>> Pat

> Good research Pat! I can't wait to see you with that skullet!
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

Pictures to be posted soon...........Nah, I couldn't do that to ya'll.

Pat

newbie question [email protected] VW air cooled 4 April 9th 07 01:39 PM
Newbie question johns Technology 4 June 4th 06 12:06 AM
newbie question flatfoot2 Jeep 19 February 21st 05 08:47 PM
Newbie question Ed Presson BMW 2 September 27th 04 06:31 PM
Newbie with question E.R. BMW 0 September 26th 04 12:07 AM