Just been to collect my 75

Old September 9th 09, 09:40 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

Default Just been to collect my 75

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 16:50:45 +0100, Halmyre >
wrote:

>I'm baffled. Why does she need *two* cupholders?

Simple. One for her and one for me or the bairn. Can't trust the bairn
to keep the bottle upright or get it in the rear cupholders without a
disaster. Anyone with a car and kids will know what I'm talking about!
:-(

Otherwise, she might be considering a "haulf 'n' haulf" (pr. hoff) as
some might say in these northern parts. 8-0

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email must have the word 'Alfa' in the
subject line to get through auto-filtering)
Old September 9th 09, 09:43 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 23:23:25 +0100, "Steve H on the road"
> wrote:

>My Prius

!! Oi..hold the bus..where did *that* one sneak in from? ;-)

Old September 9th 09, 10:28 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_11_]

"SteveH" > wrote in message
k...
> John Chapman > wrote:
>
>> SteveH wrote:
>> > from the garage where I keep it, around 10 miles away.
>> >
>> > Haven't had a chance to use it since the first week of June, but once
>> > I'd disconnected the battery, it fired up pretty much instantly.
>> >
>> > Who says Alfas are unreliable?
>> >

>> My 146 was very reliable over 90000 miles and never let me down.
>> Mind you I could never make it start with the battery disconnected.
>> That is a skill I do not yet possess ;-)

> Doh!
>
> 'Re-connected'.
>
> The 75 is on 132k-ish miles now and has only once left me stranded at
> the side of the road.

I'm sure it was *you* that left *it* stranded at the side of the road! Its
one time of need and you walked away!

Old September 9th 09, 10:33 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_11_]

"Zathras" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 5 Sep 2009 18:00:17 +0100, (SteveH)
> wrote:
>
>>Who says Alfas are unreliable?

> Well..in over 8 years of driving my Alfa, it let me down for one fault
> - a dying crank rpm sensor. There were a couple of other incidents but
> they weren't the Alfa's fault - like the time number one bairn decided
> to put the rear courtesy light on before I parked the thing up for 10
> days!! Up until the Alfa was 7, AA membership had been a complete
> waste of money. :-) Not too shabby.
>
> One thing that bugged me with the Alfa has been it's monotonous
> ability to require large amounts of work *every* time it went in for
> an annual service even though the mileage was very low. Last time it
> was rear pads and disks, handbrake cable and rear brake pipes.
> However, I don't think Alfas (or even my Alfa) is remotely unique in
> this matter.
>
> Having said that, I've never felt overwhelmingly reassured of the
> quality of parts or build of my 156 (front door handles, exhaust,
> alloys, deep pile carpets and leather excepted). The knocking and
> creaking from the front suspension over the last 6 years that no
> garage can (will?) fix plus the numerous rattles, clonks, creaks and
> squeaks from the cabin depending on the day of the week! Yes, I got
> used to them. But when in somebody else's car, the silence made me
> feel like I owned a kit car some idiot had built in a hurry.

I'll have to take front door handles out of the reliable list - my passenger
side knob keeps getting stuck in when pressed. I've tried 3-in-1 oil,
grease, vaseline, wd40, more oil, but it still gets stuck in 1-in-10 times.

I'll second you on the squeeks. The one coming from the airbag area is the
most annoying at the moment.

Need to add the connections to the front speakers to the list of "friday
afternoon"/"assembled by a child" items. The sound just goes off on one side
until you blast the volume for a moment to get it back on again!

Also, availability of exhausts at a good price is annoying me at the moment.

Old September 9th 09, 10:59 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 10:33:59 +0100, "GT"
> wrote:

>I'll have to take front door handles out of the reliable list - my passenger
>side knob keeps getting stuck in when pressed.

I've heard that from others too but mine have always been perfect -
hence on my list.

>I'll second you on the squeeks. The one coming from the airbag area is the
>most annoying at the moment.

Over the years more and more have snuck in. Sometimes mine sounds like
it's falling apart!!

>Need to add the connections to the front speakers to the list of "friday
>afternoon"/"assembled by a child" items. The sound just goes off on one side
>until you blast the volume for a moment to get it back on again!

Are you sure? If you had a dodgy connector, just blasting the volume
wouldn't fix IME. I'd be suspecting a fault in the radio. I would say
that though because I'll shortly (well, when/if I can find the
instructions) have an MP3 ripping Clarion single CD radio for sale
that is coming out of my 156 including what passes for fitting panels
to fit it to a 156.

>Also, availability of exhausts at a good price is annoying me at the moment.

Can't help there. Although I suspect my baffles are all blown as the
car sounds particularly rorty these days, there's no sign of a
replacement being needed.

Old September 9th 09, 12:04 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

GT wrote:
> "Zathras" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 5 Sep 2009 18:00:17 +0100, (SteveH)
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Who says Alfas are unreliable?

>> Well..in over 8 years of driving my Alfa, it let me down for one fault
>> - a dying crank rpm sensor. There were a couple of other incidents but
>> they weren't the Alfa's fault - like the time number one bairn decided
>> to put the rear courtesy light on before I parked the thing up for 10
>> days!! Up until the Alfa was 7, AA membership had been a complete
>> waste of money. :-) Not too shabby.
>>
>> One thing that bugged me with the Alfa has been it's monotonous
>> ability to require large amounts of work *every* time it went in for
>> an annual service even though the mileage was very low. Last time it
>> was rear pads and disks, handbrake cable and rear brake pipes.
>> However, I don't think Alfas (or even my Alfa) is remotely unique in
>> this matter.
>>
>> Having said that, I've never felt overwhelmingly reassured of the
>> quality of parts or build of my 156 (front door handles, exhaust,
>> alloys, deep pile carpets and leather excepted). The knocking and
>> creaking from the front suspension over the last 6 years that no
>> garage can (will?) fix plus the numerous rattles, clonks, creaks and
>> squeaks from the cabin depending on the day of the week! Yes, I got
>> used to them. But when in somebody else's car, the silence made me
>> feel like I owned a kit car some idiot had built in a hurry.

> I'll have to take front door handles out of the reliable list - my passenger
> side knob keeps getting stuck in when pressed. I've tried 3-in-1 oil,
> grease, vaseline, wd40, more oil, but it still gets stuck in 1-in-10 times.

Never had that problem on either.

> I'll second you on the squeeks. The one coming from the airbag area is the
> most annoying at the moment.

Suspension for sure irritates me.

> Need to add the connections to the front speakers to the list of "friday
> afternoon"/"assembled by a child" items. The sound just goes off on one side
> until you blast the volume for a moment to get it back on again!

ITYF that's the connector in the door jam.

> Also, availability of exhausts at a good price is annoying me at the moment.

That's just you, though

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 145 2.0 Cloverleaf 156 V6 2.5 S2
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old September 9th 09, 12:06 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Steve H on the road wrote:

> "Catman" > wrote in message
>> Halmyre wrote:
>> <snip>
>>>
>>> I'm baffled. Why does she need *two* cupholders?

>> Why does she need *any*? It's a car, not a cafe.

> Because she wants to grab a coffee and take it with her, perhaps?

Nope, sorry. Still not making sense. How can you drink coffee while
driving. I *genuinely* do not understand this.

I mean, I'll sit in the car and drink coffee on occasion, but I don't
need a specially designed receptacle.

Old September 9th 09, 12:07 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Zathras wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 23:23:25 +0100, "Steve H on the road"
> > wrote:
>
>> My Prius

> !! Oi..hold the bus..where did *that* one sneak in from? ;-)

Company car

Old September 9th 09, 12:23 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 12:07:28 +0100, Catman
> wrote:

>Zathras wrote:
>> On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 23:23:25 +0100, "Steve H on the road"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> My Prius

>> !! Oi..hold the bus..where did *that* one sneak in from? ;-)
>>

>Company car

Fantastic. I'm tempted to say I'd take the cash but I don't really
know how good they are!

Old September 9th 09, 01:44 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Halmyre[_1_]

On 9 Sep, 09:40, Zathras >
wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 16:50:45 +0100, Halmyre >
> wrote:
>
> >I'm baffled. Why does she need *two* cupholders?

> Simple. One for her and one for me or the bairn. Can't trust the bairn
> to keep the bottle upright or get it in the rear cupholders without a
> disaster. Anyone with a car and kids will know what I'm talking about!
> :-(
>
> Otherwise, she might be considering a "haulf 'n' haulf" (pr. hoff) as
> some might say in these northern parts. *8-0

What a good idea. G&T, ice and lime for her. Single malt and water for
me. Cheers! (hic). But where can I put the crisps and nuts?

--
Halmyre