156 JTD engine temp.

Old July 13th 09, 05:21 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R C Nesbit

Default 156 JTD engine temp.

My 156 1.9JTD has, in the past couple of days, started
displaying highly variable engine temperatures.

I noticed it first on Sunday, driving up quite a steep
winding hill stuck behind a car doing <50mph, the temp went
up to 3/4

Today on a mixed run of high speed A1 and slower A roads it
seems to shoot up the scale when driven slowly (sub 50mph)
and on 2 occasions lit up the red warning LED.

Any suggestions? is it something that needs attention or
'do the all do that'?

--
Rob Pearson
156 1.9jtd sportwagon (now)

Old July 13th 09, 05:31 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
David A Stocks[_2_]

"R C Nesbit" > wrote in message
> My 156 1.9JTD has, in the past couple of days, started
> displaying highly variable engine temperatures.
>
> I noticed it first on Sunday, driving up quite a steep
> winding hill stuck behind a car doing <50mph, the temp went
> up to 3/4

This sounds reasonable.

> Today on a mixed run of high speed A1 and slower A roads it
> seems to shoot up the scale when driven slowly (sub 50mph)
> and on 2 occasions lit up the red warning LED.

This doesn't - if you're getting red warning lights you're in trouble, or
there's a problem with the warning light system.

D A Stocks

Old July 13th 09, 06:09 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

David A Stocks wrote:
> "R C Nesbit" > wrote in message
>> My 156 1.9JTD has, in the past couple of days, started
>> displaying highly variable engine temperatures.
>>
>> I noticed it first on Sunday, driving up quite a steep
>> winding hill stuck behind a car doing <50mph, the temp went
>> up to 3/4
>>

> This sounds reasonable.
>
>> Today on a mixed run of high speed A1 and slower A roads it
>> seems to shoot up the scale when driven slowly (sub 50mph)
>> and on 2 occasions lit up the red warning LED.
>>

> This doesn't - if you're getting red warning lights you're in trouble,
> or there's a problem with the warning light system.

Agreed.

Less likely on a 156 than on one of my older ones though, TBH.

Rob, you *have* checked the coolant?

Possibly sticking thermostat IWHT.
116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 145 2.0 Cloverleaf 156 V6 2.5 S2
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old July 13th 09, 08:19 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R C Nesbit

Catman spoke:
> > This doesn't - if you're getting red warning lights you're in trouble,
> > or there's a problem with the warning light system.

> Agreed.
>
> Less likely on a 156 than on one of my older ones though, TBH.
>
> Rob, you *have* checked the coolant?

A *little* below min. in the expansion tank, but not so low.

> Possibly sticking thermostat IWHT.

Do they have such devices these days?
I thought it was all pixies in wires!

--
Rob Pearson
156 1.9jtd sportwagon (now)

Old July 14th 09, 11:07 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

R C Nesbit wrote:
> Catman spoke:
>>> This doesn't - if you're getting red warning lights you're in trouble,
>>> or there's a problem with the warning light system.

>> Agreed.
>>
>> Less likely on a 156 than on one of my older ones though, TBH.
>>
>> Rob, you *have* checked the coolant?

> A *little* below min. in the expansion tank, but not so low.
>
>> Possibly sticking thermostat IWHT.

> Do they have such devices these days?
> I thought it was all pixies in wires!

Heh. I don't think so. ICBW though.

Old July 22nd 09, 03:32 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Rod Duggan

"R C Nesbit" > wrote in message
> My 156 1.9JTD has, in the past couple of days, started
> displaying highly variable engine temperatures.
>
> I noticed it first on Sunday, driving up quite a steep
> winding hill stuck behind a car doing <50mph, the temp went
> up to 3/4
>
> Today on a mixed run of high speed A1 and slower A roads it
> seems to shoot up the scale when driven slowly (sub 50mph)
> and on 2 occasions lit up the red warning LED.
>
> Any suggestions? is it something that needs attention or
> 'do the all do that'?

Look at the radiator fins, our Spider had the same symptoms recently, and
the thermostat is six months old. The radiator was knackered with the lower
section losing fins and looking a right mess. New one cured the problem.
Rod

'92 SL fan and engine temp bill Saturn 9 November 25th 06 03:05 AM
engine temp. 187 VW air cooled 33 July 25th 06 05:20 AM
Engine oil temp - TJ TW Jeep 5 May 18th 06 03:33 PM
Engine Temp? 110? HotRod VW water cooled 7 May 30th 05 03:17 PM
Engine temp - 156 2.5 V6 - Jacopo Alfa Romeo 12 June 18th 04 07:16 PM