Shift rod modification

Old December 2nd 08, 06:01 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Default Shift rod modification

Good evening and Happy Holidays,
Just a quick question.
I am working on a friends mid 80's small block 3/4 ton 4X4 Chevy
pickup.
I have replaced his rotted out headers with a set of Hedman Hustlers
that he came up with.
The primaries are larger and differently configured and now the shift
rod
from the column shifter is hitting them on the top right where the
pipes transition into the collectors.

I am just wondering if anyone makes a bracket or something that will
enable the use of a cable in place of the stock setup, or is he stuck
getting a
universal floor shifter set such as the B&M Z- gate?
Any and all suggestions are welcome.
TIA
Old December 3rd 08, 12:30 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4

On Dec 2, 10:38 am, Mike Romain > wrote:
> wrote:
> > Good evening and Happy Holidays,
> > Just a quick question.
> > I am working on a friends mid 80's small block 3/4 ton 4X4 Chevy
> > pickup.
> > I have replaced his rotted out headers with a set of Hedman Hustlers
> > that he came up with.
> > The primaries are larger and differently configured and now the shift
> > rod
> > from the column shifter is hitting them on the top right where the
> > pipes transition into the collectors.

> > I am just wondering if anyone makes a bracket or something that will
> > enable the use of a cable in place of the stock setup, or is he stuck
> > getting a
> > universal floor shifter set such as the B&M Z- gate?
> > Any and all suggestions are welcome.
> > TIA

> Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to just get the correct header for the
> truck?

Actually not. A good set of headers are a couple of hundred so we just
settled on a cable operated
floor shifter $80.00.
I was just not sure if there was possibly a cable that could be fabbed
to the stock setup.

Old December 3rd 08, 12:39 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4

On Dec 2, 10:38 am, Mike Romain > wrote:
> wrote:
> > Good evening and Happy Holidays,
> > Just a quick question.
> > I am working on a friends mid 80's small block 3/4 ton 4X4 Chevy
> > pickup.
> > I have replaced his rotted out headers with a set of Hedman Hustlers
> > that he came up with.
> > The primaries are larger and differently configured and now the shift
> > rod
> > from the column shifter is hitting them on the top right where the
> > pipes transition into the collectors.

> > I am just wondering if anyone makes a bracket or something that will
> > enable the use of a cable in place of the stock setup, or is he stuck
> > getting a
> > universal floor shifter set such as the B&M Z- gate?
> > Any and all suggestions are welcome.
> > TIA

> Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to just get the correct header for the
> truck?

Not really but this was suggested and fits the bill. You can also file
it away
for future reference.
http://www.jegs.com/p/Lokar/756982/10002/-1

Old December 3rd 08, 06:24 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Mike Romain

wrote:
> On Dec 2, 10:38 am, Mike Romain > wrote:
>> wrote:
>>> Good evening and Happy Holidays,
>>> Just a quick question.
>>> I am working on a friends mid 80's small block 3/4 ton 4X4 Chevy
>>> pickup.
>>> I have replaced his rotted out headers with a set of Hedman Hustlers
>>> that he came up with.
>>> The primaries are larger and differently configured and now the shift
>>> rod
>>> from the column shifter is hitting them on the top right where the
>>> pipes transition into the collectors.
>>> I am just wondering if anyone makes a bracket or something that will
>>> enable the use of a cable in place of the stock setup, or is he stuck
>>> getting a
>>> universal floor shifter set such as the B&M Z- gate?
>>> Any and all suggestions are welcome.
>>> TIA

>> Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to just get the correct header for the
>> truck?
>>

> Not really but this was suggested and fits the bill. You can also file
> it away
> for future reference.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Lokar/756982/10002/-1

That looks perfect for it.