OT - father/son project building a shop

Old December 9th 07, 12:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Shag

Default OT - father/son project building a shop

My dad came by yesterday and helped me get started on framing up a
24X30 shop I'm building in the back yard. Man, he's a hard worker! I
had trouble keeping up with him. Here's the work in progress and I'll
update the page as I get more done to the shop. Gonna be cool when
this is finished. http://www.employees.org/~travist/shop/shop.html
Old December 9th 07, 12:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan

Shag wrote:
> My dad came by yesterday and helped me get started on framing up a
> 24X30 shop I'm building in the back yard. Man, he's a hard worker! I
> had trouble keeping up with him. Here's the work in progress and I'll
> update the page as I get more done to the shop. Gonna be cool when
> this is finished. http://www.employees.org/~travist/shop/shop.html

looking good

Old December 9th 07, 02:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
one out of many daves

Nothing like doing a nice project with your dad! ;-)
Looks good. Are you planning for a lift inside?

Old December 9th 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Shag" > wrote in message
> My dad came by yesterday and helped me get started on framing up a
> 24X30 shop I'm building in the back yard. Man, he's a hard worker! I
> had trouble keeping up with him. Here's the work in progress and I'll
> update the page as I get more done to the shop. Gonna be cool when
> this is finished. http://www.employees.org/~travist/shop/shop.html

the shop looks good, Travis.... Your dad can't deny you, you look like
him....hehe

Old December 9th 07, 04:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
jjs

"Shag" > wrote in message
> My dad came by yesterday and helped me get started on framing up a
> 24X30 shop [...]. http://www.employees.org/~travist/shop/shop.html

Man, I wish we could use a floating slab. It would make a new garage
affordable.

Wish ya luck. At least you will have something more comfortable than a Dog
House for those, ah, difficult times. Eh?

Old December 9th 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"jjs" <john> wrote in message ...

> "Shag" > wrote in message
>> My dad came by yesterday and helped me get started on framing up a
>> 24X30 shop [...]. http://www.employees.org/~travist/shop/shop.html

> Man, I wish we could use a floating slab. It would make a new garage
> affordable.
>
> Wish ya luck. At least you will have something more comfortable than a Dog
> House for those, ah, difficult times. Eh?

you guys required to use a turndown? (due to frostline?)

Old December 9th 07, 05:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Joey Tribiani" > wrote in message

> "jjs" <john> wrote in message ...
>>
>> "Shag" > wrote in message
>>> My dad came by yesterday and helped me get started on framing up a
>>> 24X30 shop [...]. http://www.employees.org/~travist/shop/shop.html

>> Man, I wish we could use a floating slab. It would make a new garage
>> affordable.
>>
>> Wish ya luck. At least you will have something more comfortable than a
>> Dog House for those, ah, difficult times. Eh?
>>

> you guys required to use a turndown? (due to frostline?)

nevermind, shag's is a turn down....i didn't look at all the pics....

Old December 9th 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Shag

On Dec 9, 12:24 pm, "Joey Tribiani" > wrote:
> "Joey Tribiani" > wrote in message

> >> Man, I wish we could use a floating slab. It would make a new garage
> >> affordable.

> >> Wish ya luck. At least you will have something more comfortable than a
> >> Dog House for those, ah, difficult times. Eh?

> > you guys required to use a turndown? (due to frostline?)

> nevermind, shag's is a turn down....i didn't look at all the pics....

It's a "monolithic slab." 4 inches thick in the center and about 12
inches thick around the edges. I got some more done on it today.
Finished the last wall and framed it for a 36" door, and got the OSB
sheathing stuff up on about 70% of one wall. It's gonna be 24X30 with
10' walls. Using trusses with 4/12 span so it will be 14' high in the
center at the highest point. It feels pretty big when I stand in it
right now. Gonna box off a 12X12 section of it in the back corner and
insulate that and set it up for a home office kind of thing. That's
the eventual plan, but first gotta just get the walls, roof, and doors
in. Man, that's hard work. "My desk job is showing." *groan* :-)
Two more inspections to go. Trusses get delivered this coming up
Friday and I plan on trying to get them in place and the sheathing up
there and at least tar paper on the roof. Oh, no, not going to put a
lift in there. :-) Just added a couple of pictures. Here's the last
one:
http://www.employees.org/~travist/shop/shop30.jpg
Old December 9th 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Shag" > wrote in message
> On Dec 9, 12:24 pm, "Joey Tribiani" > wrote:
>> "Joey Tribiani" > wrote in message

>> > "jjs" <john> wrote in ...

>> > you guys required to use a turndown? (due to frostline?)

>> nevermind, shag's is a turn down....i didn't look at all the pics....

> It's a "monolithic slab."

A.K.A "turndown slab".....you don't expect concrete workers to remember, nor
have to say, "monolithic" do ya? LOL

Old December 9th 07, 07:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Shag

On Dec 9, 2:04 pm, "Joey Tribiani" > wrote:
> "Shag" > wrote in message

> >> nevermind, shag's is a turn down....i didn't look at all the pics....

> > It's a "monolithic slab."

> A.K.A "turndown slab".....you don't expect concrete workers to remember, nor
> have to say, "monolithic" do ya? LOL

Yeah, it was pretty funny when the mexican guy who did the slab tried
to say that word. heh heh