WTF?

Old November 19th 07, 07:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Leopold Stotch[_2_]

Default WTF?

Jan wrote:
> wrote:

>>> I know.
>>>
>>> People, STOP posting your links as standard reply to Mario.
>>> It has now become the worst SPAM in this group. You are not helping
>>> anyone.
>>>
>>> Jan

>> I disagree. The more people that know about that piece of ****, the
>> better.

> I will REPEAT, once AGAIN: The damn spam you keep posting, does not
> DISAPPEAR. It stays on the news serves for all new readers to see. In
> fact, it cannot be missed. You have reached your goal, now you are
> starting to **** people off more than Mario himself.
> Grow up, people, sheesh.
> You are no longer doing anyone a favor.
>
> Jan

Yes it does stay in Google newsgroups forever, but that only helps if
someone does a Google search on Mario's name. If you are just looking
at RAMVA with a standard newsreader the older posts age out and are
removed in a few weeks. I think the idea of posting the links to "The
Mario Story" under each of Mario's posting is to make sure that anyone
who wanders in this Usenet group is aware up front of past issues with
doing business with Mario and can therefore make an informed decision as
whether or not to do business with him. Yes, in an ideal world someone
would run a Google search on anyone they were considering doing business
with. But of course we know that does not always happen.

Do not forget, in the past Mario has used RAMVA to troll for new
business. Of course, with the rise of sites like The Samba and the
decline of Usenet it is less likely that some newbie will stubble in
here asking for help but it does on occasion happen.

I can see however that posting multiple replies to every Mario post with
links to "The Mario Story" is over the top. What if we agree that if
someone has posted a rely to a Mario post with the standard Mario links
that redundant posting is not necessary?

Old November 19th 07, 07:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan

Leopold Stotch wrote:
> Jan wrote:
>
>> wrote:

>>> I disagree. The more people that know about that piece of ****, the
>>> better.

>> I will REPEAT, once AGAIN: The damn spam you keep posting, does not
>> DISAPPEAR. It stays on the news serves for all new readers to see. In
>> fact, it cannot be missed. You have reached your goal, now you are
>> starting to **** people off more than Mario himself.
>> Grow up, people, sheesh.
>> You are no longer doing anyone a favor.
>>
>> Jan

> Yes it does stay in Google newsgroups forever, but that only helps if
> someone does a Google search on Mario's name. If you are just looking
> at RAMVA with a standard newsreader the older posts age out and are
> removed in a few weeks. I think the idea of posting the links to "The
> Mario Story" under each of Mario's posting is to make sure that anyone
> who wanders in this Usenet group is aware up front of past issues with
> doing business with Mario and can therefore make an informed decision as
> whether or not to do business with him. Yes, in an ideal world someone
> would run a Google search on anyone they were considering doing business
> with. But of course we know that does not always happen.
>
> Do not forget, in the past Mario has used RAMVA to troll for new
> business. Of course, with the rise of sites like The Samba and the
> decline of Usenet it is less likely that some newbie will stubble in
> here asking for help but it does on occasion happen.
>
> I can see however that posting multiple replies to every Mario post with
> links to "The Mario Story" is over the top. What if we agree that if
> someone has posted a rely to a Mario post with the standard Mario links
> that redundant posting is not necessary?

Once upon a time, to calm things down, Mario promised not to promote his
business here, just participate in non-profit discussion (helping out
people with tech questions). I suggest that as long as it's limited to
just that, nobody reply with the unnecessary links and warnings.

In case of 'trolling for new business', I think ONE warning per thread
should suffice.

How's that?

Jan
Old November 19th 07, 08:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan

> Leopold Stotch wrote:

>> Yes it does stay in Google newsgroups forever, but that only helps if
>> someone does a Google search on Mario's name. If you are just looking
>> at RAMVA with a standard newsreader the older posts age out and are
>> removed in a few weeks.

Different servers have different retention times, and the admin usually
can even set individual retention times for individual groups.

In text-only groups, retention times are generally pretty long, even
years in some cases.

I'm on news.individual.de and the oldest available messages here are
from the first week of September, 2006.

Jan
Old November 19th 07, 09:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
bug '59[_2_]

> I can see however that posting multiple replies to every Mario post with
> links to "The Mario Story" is over the top. What if we agree that if
> someone has posted a rely to a Mario post with the standard Mario links
> that redundant posting is not necessary?

There are hardly any new RAMVA readers/users.
Most of the time they lurk for a long time before they post.
So my guess is that EVERYONE knows the sage by now...

This trolling (and feeding the troll) will only stop people from visiting
RAMVA.
And that is just the one thing we DON'T want.
Too many 'regulars' are leaving and that is a pity.

Ignore him and stay ON topic i.e.: ACVW ....

jmho,
Roger

Old November 20th 07, 12:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Dennis[_4_]

On Nov 19, 3:38 pm, "bug '59" > wrote:
> > I can see however that posting multiple replies to every Mario post with
> > links to "The Mario Story" is over the top. What if we agree that if
> > someone has posted a rely to a Mario post with the standard Mario links
> > that redundant posting is not necessary?

> There are hardly any new RAMVA readers/users.
> Most of the time they lurk for a long time before they post.
> So my guess is that EVERYONE knows the sage by now...
>
> This trolling (and feeding the troll) will only stop people from visiting
> RAMVA.
> And that is just the one thing we DON'T want.
> Too many 'regulars' are leaving and that is a pity.
>
> Ignore him and stay ON topic i.e.: ACVW ....
>
> jmho,
> Roger

Yes, stop giving this virus any more exposure. You risk infecting
yourself and there is no known cure for the addiction to the Mario
game. Dennis
Old November 20th 07, 04:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Busman

I've started using my killfile a bunch - for people on both sides of this
saga. I understand that he screwed her out of big bucks and even donated to
the cause to help out. This is a hobby to some of us and for the last couple
of months, every time I read the messages in this group, I find fewer and
fewer reasons to stay in the hobby. It's tough enough to find time to do and
then you have to wade through this? I've been reading this group for more
than 10 years and can only imagine what people stumbling in here for the
first time must think.
Andy

Old November 20th 07, 05:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

"Jan" > wrote in message

snip

> Once upon a time, to calm things down, Mario promised not to promote his
> business here, just participate in non-profit discussion (helping out
> people with tech questions). I suggest that as long as it's limited to
> just that, nobody reply with the unnecessary links and warnings.
>
> In case of 'trolling for new business', I think ONE warning per thread
> should suffice.
>
> How's that?
>
> Jan

I agree and second this excellent idea!

dave
(One out of many daves)

Old November 20th 07, 08:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Rev Turd Fredericks

Jan wrote:
> wrote:

>>> I know.
>>>
>>> People, STOP posting your links as standard reply to Mario.
>>> It has now become the worst SPAM in this group. You are not helping
>>> anyone.
>>>
>>> Jan

>> I disagree. The more people that know about that piece of ****, the
>> better.

> I will REPEAT, once AGAIN: The damn spam you keep posting, does not
> DISAPPEAR. It stays on the news serves for all new readers to see. In
> fact, it cannot be missed. You have reached your goal, now you are
> starting to **** people off more than Mario himself.
> Grow up, people, sheesh.
> You are no longer doing anyone a favor.
>
> Jan

Personally, I don't care that much, I lurk here (have made the
occasional post), I have been warned about him although the likelihood
of me ever even accidentally running across his shop is nil. If people
feel strongly enough, they could just put the links in their sig file.
Otherwise, you can just killfile him altogether.

--
Geeks may inherit the earth,
but they have no desire to rule it

-Robert Stevens (the Geek Squad founder)
Old November 20th 07, 05:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Nov 20, 3:42 am, "Erik Dillenkofer" >
wrote:
> I agree. I'm normally just a lurker here, but I'm at the point where I'm
> about ready to simply killfile all those that constantly post worthless
> "Mario links". I'm tired of wading thru all of it.
>
> "Jan" > wrote in message

> > wrote:
> >> I post one message for help, I get a few valid replies and about 6
> >> messages about Mario. What the hell? Is this how it's going to be from
> >> now on? Is it not possible to let this thing about Joan and Mario go?
> >> It's bad enough trying to wade through the spam, and now this problem
> >> arises......

> >> How do I reach Joan, anyway? If she isn't going to fix her car I would
> >> like to buy some of the parts she has if they are good so I can fix
> >> mine.

> >> Chris

> > I know.

> > People, STOP posting your links as standard reply to Mario.
> > It has now become the worst SPAM in this group. You are not helping
> > anyone.

> > Jan

I understand where people are coming from, as I"m as guilty of it as
anyone, but don't call the links "worthless." If you ever get jacked
out of $9K by a douche as worthless as Gavazzi, you'll likely see
their value.