New Miata (er, MX-5)

Old April 24th 10, 02:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

Default New Miata (er, MX-5)

"Frank Berger" > wrote in message >
> In searching for the MSM, it seems to me there were as many Black ones as
> Titanium. There were a surprising number of Oranges ones, considering the
> number made. I don't actually ever recall seeing a MSM of any color
> around here (Dallas).

You'll start seeing them all the time now (the titanium and the red) that
your attention is peeked ;-) There really are tons of them here around
Houston.

I may have to start checking out MSN Autos for the Black ones!

Enjoy!
Chris
99BBB

Old April 24th 10, 02:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Grant Edwards" > wrote in message >
> But, it was a Pinin Farina design. That almost made everything worth
> while.
>
> --
> Grant

Amen brother, I'll second that! The interior was as lovely as the exterior
too!

cd
99BBB

Old April 24th 10, 04:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Hal

> Mazdaspeed3 (they're just too bizarre looking) but in the end went back to
> the MX-5. *The only thing I'm a little worried about is whether the 6-speed
> is too much of a pain in the ass in traffic.

I think you'll find that the 6 speed box shifts quite crisply, better
than the 5 speed box in my opinion. The only downside is the placement
of reverse. Take a few moments to learn where the gate for 5th-6th is
before you take off.

Case in point, I let a guy drive my '04 MSM a couple months ago and he
promptly tried to go into reverse instead of 6th as we took off down
the road...bad noises ensued.

Chris
Old April 24th 10, 10:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
johnny p.

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

> I hear that argument all the time but I'm far from
> convinced. 1000 rpm's lower at cruising speed would,
> imho be completely livable and better in every way.
> When did you ever meet a Miata enthusiast that minded
> an occasional downshift? I wish I knew enough about
> transmissions to know how hard it would be to simply
> change 5th gear a bit taller.

In Australia they used to sell NB Miatas with a 3.6 rear end. If you
could transplant that into a U.S. spec 6-speed NA/NB I think it would be
just about perfect. First through fifth would correspond to first
through fifth in a 5-speed NA/NB with just a little more revs at any
given speed, plus you'd get that granny gear. Downshifting is fun.

I wonder how much it would cost. I'd guess swapping out the diff might
be easier and cheaper rebuilding a transmission.

yrs jp
Old April 25th 10, 04:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

johnny p. wrote:
> Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
>>
>> I hear that argument all the time but I'm far from
>> convinced. 1000 rpm's lower at cruising speed would,
>> imho be completely livable and better in every way.
>> When did you ever meet a Miata enthusiast that minded
>> an occasional downshift? I wish I knew enough about
>> transmissions to know how hard it would be to simply
>> change 5th gear a bit taller.

> In Australia they used to sell NB Miatas with a 3.6 rear end. If you
> could transplant that into a U.S. spec 6-speed NA/NB I think it would
> be just about perfect. First through fifth would correspond to first
> through fifth in a 5-speed NA/NB with just a little more revs at any
> given speed, plus you'd get that granny gear. Downshifting is fun.
>
> I wonder how much it would cost. I'd guess swapping out the diff
> might be easier and cheaper rebuilding a transmission.
>
> yrs jp

Don't know about Australian Miatas, but in my search I did come across an
MSM that had had the 6-speed replaced with a 5-speed.

Old April 26th 10, 12:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Me[_12_]

On 25/04/2010 3:32 a.m., Hal wrote:
>> Mazdaspeed3 (they're just too bizarre looking) but in the end went back to
>> the MX-5. The only thing I'm a little worried about is whether the 6-speed
>> is too much of a pain in the ass in traffic.

> I think you'll find that the 6 speed box shifts quite crisply, better
> than the 5 speed box in my opinion. The only downside is the placement
> of reverse. Take a few moments to learn where the gate for 5th-6th is
> before you take off.
>
> Case in point, I let a guy drive my '04 MSM a couple months ago and he
> promptly tried to go into reverse instead of 6th as we took off down
> the road...bad noises ensued.
>
> Chris

There's supposed to be a reverse lock out in the transmission so you
can't select reverse when moving forwards.
That said, I've never been game to try it out to see if it works.

Old April 26th 10, 12:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Me[_12_]

On 22/04/2010 2:21 p.m., Frank Berger wrote:
> I hit the rev limiter twice today. It's only 6500. Not sure if
> that's only the Mazdaspeed or any MX-5 with a 6 speed.

If you mean NBs, then most n/a 6 spd are 7,000 rpm, JDM models with
different intake cam are 7500 rpm.

Old April 26th 10, 02:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

Me wrote:
> On 22/04/2010 2:21 p.m., Frank Berger wrote:
>> I hit the rev limiter twice today. It's only 6500. Not sure if
>> that's only the Mazdaspeed or any MX-5 with a 6 speed.

> If you mean NBs, then most n/a 6 spd are 7,000 rpm, JDM models with
> different intake cam are 7500 rpm.

By Mazdaspeed, I meant the MX-5 Mazdaspeed, which *is* limited at 6500.

Old April 26th 10, 04:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Frank Berger" > wrote in message
> Me wrote:
>> On 22/04/2010 2:21 p.m., Frank Berger wrote:
>>> I hit the rev limiter twice today. It's only 6500. Not sure if
>>> that's only the Mazdaspeed or any MX-5 with a 6 speed.

>> If you mean NBs, then most n/a 6 spd are 7,000 rpm, JDM models with
>> different intake cam are 7500 rpm.

> By Mazdaspeed, I meant the MX-5 Mazdaspeed, which *is* limited at 6500.

Ya, I think 'Me' was confirming that all of the normally aspirated NB's do
have the higher redline. The 6500 red line does seem a bit low, as
conservative as Mazda is, the 7000 limit would have probably been fine for
all but the the worst of the rev limiter bouncers ;-)

Chris
99BBB

Old April 26th 10, 04:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Me" > wrote in message news:hr2ic8$eo9>>
>> Case in point, I let a guy drive my '04 MSM a couple months ago and he
>> promptly tried to go into reverse instead of 6th as we took off down
>> the road...bad noises ensued.
>>
>> Chris

> There's supposed to be a reverse lock out in the transmission so you can't
> select reverse when moving forwards.
> That said, I've never been game to try it out to see if it works.

Could be the reverse lockout WAS the bad noise that he heard. Maybe they
make it sound nasty to keep you from thinking you just haven't jammed it in
there hard enough, and keeping trying?

Chris
99BBB