351 W question?

Old March 19th 07, 12:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default 351 W question?

What's a used 351 W in good running condition worth?

It was rebuilt 6 years ago and has 70k miles on the motor.

This is out of a 70 Mustang fastback. It has the following:

Edelbrock performer Intake with Holley carb.
MSD ignition.
Moroso 8 qt oil pan.
Comp cam with roller rockers.
Bored .030 over and was balanced.
Still runs strong and burns a little oil through the guides.

All replies appreciated....

Old March 19th 07, 01:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jim Warman

Well, it's bored 0.030 over.... that makes the block pretty much toast if
the cylinders develop any taper or out of round.

I think that question is more of how much you are prepared to pay than of
how much it is "worth".

But - that's just me....

Old March 19th 07, 05:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
scott and barb

thought it could out past .040?

Old March 19th 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
My Name Is Nobody

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> What's a used 351 W in good running condition worth?
>
> It was rebuilt 6 years ago and has 70k miles on the motor.
>
> This is out of a 70 Mustang fastback. It has the following:
>
> Edelbrock performer Intake with Holley carb.
> MSD ignition.
> Moroso 8 qt oil pan.
> Comp cam with roller rockers.
> Bored .030 over and was balanced.
> Still runs strong and burns a little oil through the guides.
>
> All replies appreciated....

70K miles on a engine rebuilt by you don't know who...
I would pay for that engine what I would pay for a rebuildable core, at
most.
Certainly under $500.

Old March 20th 07, 04:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
jjj

On Mar 19, 6:58 pm, "My Name Is Nobody" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > What's a used 351 W in good running condition worth?

> > It was rebuilt 6 years ago and has 70k miles on the motor.

> > This is out of a 70 Mustang fastback. It has the following:

I'd pay 5-700 if you had reciepts for the rebuild and it was from a
known shop.

Old March 23rd 07, 04:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jim Warman

I wouldn't without getting the walls checked.... Add that making the walls
thinner has somne far reaching effects.... mechanical and thermal stability
suffer (all that cast iron vibrates like a tuning fork when the engine is
running)... we are one step closer to the possibility of a catastrophic
failure....

There are a lot of trade-offs when rebuilding a motor.... just because you
CAN go 0.040 over, doesn't mean you should. Sometimes we can consider our
end use in our decisions... I might consider 40 over on a seldom driven
toy... but the idea that this could be a grenade if I built the top end too
strong and got frisly would be there.

At the same time, we are building a 500 inch RB Dodge that has had the
cylinders bored crazy..... Again, if we trash this motor, my friends is
flush enough that it wouldn't be a lifestyle altering deal.

Something to consider.... There's a chance that I'd buy a 40 over W block
351.... but I wouldn't consider anything other than a block that has been
freshly bored by a reputable shop using good torque plates. What I wouldn't
buy is a 30 over block with 70K miles on it without measuring out of round
and taper and probably deck heights.

Consider this... "flush" race operations keep careful track of things like
rotating and reciprocating parts.... they know that these pieces have a
finite life and they choose to replace them before they fail.... There is a
ready market for most of these pieces with those willing to enter into a bit
of a gamble (and it doesn't hurt that they will likely be run in a set-up
that wont produce quite as much power as the original user is making.

It's a subjective decision... but for someone that may be close to spending
the rent money to fuel (pun intended) his hobby, I think it important to
build a real good bottom end first and then build from that. Or, if the car
isn't a candidate for cours d'elegance type viewing, perhaps it might be
time to introduce some new technology and build something both strong AND
dependable.