Access defrost mode valve? 1993

Old November 1st 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
dnmakinson

Default Access defrost mode valve? 1993

Seems a common issue. Defrost control lever got stiff and will not
move to defrost position. How do I get to the working end of the cable
to lube it or the door (valve) or clean bad foam away?

David

Old November 2nd 06, 06:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
CBrooks

dnmakinson wrote:
> Seems a common issue. Defrost control lever got stiff and will not
> move to defrost position. How do I get to the working end of the cable
> to lube it or the door (valve) or clean bad foam away?
>
> David

Take the dash radio/vent control cowling/cover off, look in
there with a flashlight, down the throat of the vent duct.
You'll probably see a balled up bunch of black cloth that
prevents the proper opening/closing of the vent duct. I removed
that black cloth by using a combination of a a bent coat hanger
and a long pair of needle nose pliers. Had to rip it out in
pieces. I then lubed up all the internal vent control linkages
and it now works great. Oh, also had to use a bent up paper clip
as a replacement spring retention clip as a small piece of
plastic used as the spring retention broke off from that plastic
post. The excess force I used when trying to work the stuck vent
evidently broke the piece off and thus noticed the spring kept
popping off the post. Try to get all that fabric cover off that
you see while working it back and forth. Leave the foam on
though, at least I did. Hope this helps.......