'96 Caravan blower issue

Old January 25th 08, 01:56 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge

Default '96 Caravan blower issue

I have a '96 Caravan, when we turn on the heater (this just started, not
sure if it's doing this with AC yet), it will only blow if it's turned full
blast on the blower. All or nothing. I was told that this may have something
to do with the cold (it's been fairly bitter cold here the last couple
weeks, temps in the teens), but I'm not completely satisfied with this
explanation. Any ideas?
Old January 25th 08, 03:00 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Ripcord

> wrote in message
>I have a '96 Caravan, when we turn on the heater (this just started, not
> sure if it's doing this with AC yet), it will only blow if it's turned
> full
> blast on the blower. All or nothing. I was told that this may have
> something
> to do with the cold (it's been fairly bitter cold here the last couple
> weeks, temps in the teens), but I'm not completely satisfied with this
> explanation. Any ideas?

It could be the damper door is not opening. When the blower is off the
damper will close. If you hear the blower and not getting any air it could
be the damper door electric motor.

Old January 25th 08, 08:51 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
maxpower

"Ripcord" > wrote in message
. ..

> > wrote in message
> >I have a '96 Caravan, when we turn on the heater (this just started, not
> > sure if it's doing this with AC yet), it will only blow if it's turned
> > full
> > blast on the blower. All or nothing. I was told that this may have
> > something
> > to do with the cold (it's been fairly bitter cold here the last couple
> > weeks, temps in the teens), but I'm not completely satisfied with this
> > explanation. Any ideas?

> It could be the damper door is not opening. When the blower is off the
> damper will close. If you hear the blower and not getting any air it could
> be the damper door electric motor.

The doors have nothing to do with blower motor speed. If you don't have the
first 3 speeds and have high, replace the resistor as stated above

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old January 26th 08, 12:44 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
aarcuda69062

In article >,
"Larry Crites" > wrote:

> And if you replace it and it goes out again you need a new blower motor.
>
> Larry

Failed blower motors tend to not work well at high speed.
Not what the OP described.
Old January 26th 08, 02:13 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
daytripper

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 17:44:42 -0600, aarcuda69062 >
wrote:

>In article >,
> "Larry Crites" > wrote:
>
>> And if you replace it and it goes out again you need a new blower motor.
>>
>> Larry

>Failed blower motors tend to not work well at high speed.
>Not what the OP described.

Think.

What Max is saying is the thing that can croak the resistor module is a
failing blower motor. For instance, if one of the armature windings is
shorted...
Old January 26th 08, 02:15 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge

2 questions

Should I assume that this is a dealer part?

How easy is this to replace myself?

Thanks.
Old January 26th 08, 04:11 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Dan C

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 01:15:58 +0000, no wrote:

> 2 questions
>
> Should I assume that this is a dealer part?

No.

> How easy is this to replace myself?

Easy.

> Thanks.