2002 GC 3.8L transmission

Old June 19th 06, 07:20 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

Default 2002 GC 3.8L transmission

Question for Glenn and others with intimate knowledge of the TCM and it's
components.

My 2002 Grand Caravan begin to shift more roughly starting back around
it's 30k service. At the time they claimed it was becuase the battery had
been disconnected for an extended period and they reflashed the TCM.

Shifting was fine for a few thousand miles than started to get rough
again. Mostly it can be felt ranging between 25MPH and 35 MPH. As you
slow and the tranny downshifts (as you getdown towards 30MPH) there is a
noticeable lurch and sometimes noise.

The Van was serviced regularly and seemed to be "treated" for this
shifting issue at regular intervals as well. At least twice the tranny
was in "service mode" when I picked it up and I soon discovered it would
shift out of 1 (or 2nd?) and I would go back where they would flash it
again.

About a month ago I dropped it off again. I got a call that they wanted
to take the trans apart to see if the problem was inside rather than just
flashing the software. The ended up replacing a internal clutch and a
torque converter. The vehicle ended up spending a total of 10 days at
the shop for some fluid leaks - but let's not discuss that now <g>.

So I get it back, and after less than 1000 miles it has begun again to
noticeably shift poorly. I dropped it off with them again this morning
and suggested that perhaps there are some sensors feeding the data to the
TCM that are the root of the problem and caused the burnt torque
converter and clutch. Don't know what they will do with it yet, but was
looking for any thoughts on the issue.

I have an extended service contract, so there is a small deductible, but
with only 86,500 on the vehicle I want it made right now, so hopefully it
lasts beyond 100,000. Ideally I won't have to pay another deductible for
tranmission work, since I paid it just three weeks ago and it didn't
remedy the problem.

Old June 20th 06, 12:00 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge

"Steph" > wrote in message
> Question for Glenn and others with intimate knowledge of the TCM and it's
> components.
>
> My 2002 Grand Caravan begin to shift more roughly starting back around
> it's 30k service. At the time they claimed it was becuase the battery had
> been disconnected for an extended period and they reflashed the TCM.
>
> Shifting was fine for a few thousand miles than started to get rough
> again. Mostly it can be felt ranging between 25MPH and 35 MPH. As you
> slow and the tranny downshifts (as you getdown towards 30MPH) there is a
> noticeable lurch and sometimes noise.
>
> The Van was serviced regularly and seemed to be "treated" for this
> shifting issue at regular intervals as well. At least twice the tranny
> was in "service mode" when I picked it up and I soon discovered it would
> shift out of 1 (or 2nd?) and I would go back where they would flash it
> again.
>
> About a month ago I dropped it off again. I got a call that they wanted
> to take the trans apart to see if the problem was inside rather than just
> flashing the software. The ended up replacing a internal clutch and a
> torque converter. The vehicle ended up spending a total of 10 days at
> the shop for some fluid leaks - but let's not discuss that now <g>.
>
> So I get it back, and after less than 1000 miles it has begun again to
> noticeably shift poorly. I dropped it off with them again this morning
> and suggested that perhaps there are some sensors feeding the data to the
> TCM that are the root of the problem and caused the burnt torque
> converter and clutch. Don't know what they will do with it yet, but was
> looking for any thoughts on the issue.
>
> I have an extended service contract, so there is a small deductible, but
> with only 86,500 on the vehicle I want it made right now, so hopefully it
> lasts beyond 100,000. Ideally I won't have to pay another deductible for

> tranmission work, since I paid it just three weeks ago and it didn't
> remedy the problem.

I don't overhaul transmissions so I cant be much help for you. Just document
all the troubles and keep your receipts. It sounds as if you may have an
internal problem and they just cant seem to find out why. You should not
have to keep paying the deductible if the same problem has not been fixed.
Get with the service manager and tell him you want it fixed now!! If you
have a Chrysler service contract they should be putting you in a rental
vehicle.
Sorry not much help here

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old June 20th 06, 02:32 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge

It's your transmission pump. I had that problem once on a new 2003 Gr.
Caravan. The mechanics Flashed it like they did with yours and it was great
for about 3 or 4 days and went back to the same. The dropped the pan and
inspected. Reflashed again and it drove great! I mean it drove like it
weighed 500 pounds. I had the van for a month, and it hauled without a
problem, I thought it was fixed, because it never drove that way at all even
from day one. Anyway that lasted a few more days, then the tranny had harsh
shifts from second to first. The dealer then bit the bullet to diagnos it,
and it ended up being the tranny pump. They changed it and never had a
problem since. Except it drives like a minivan again. I believe there is a
tsb for 2001-2002 vans for surging under lockup, and the other problem that
developed on mine that had to do with the pump, and that was not engaing in
gear occasionally. But that was the tranny pump.