Problem with Tach

Old February 2nd 06, 07:04 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default Problem with Tach

Still restoring my C3. Its raining like nuts here in california so I
haven't been able to take her out for a nice drive. Rain sucks...

I have a problem with my tach and speedometer.
The needle doesn't move (hasn't moved for a month) and the (tach) miles
also don't move.
It is stuck at 75k odd miles
My question is.. would just buying a cable and reinstalling it solve
the problem, or whether I should buy a new tach/speedometer guage
altogether. Will there be a problem with that ?
suddenly a 28 year old car with 75k miles starts over ....with 0 ?

I really don't think carfax will even know about it, since the 13 digit
VIN doesn't show up on a carfax record. But what is usually done in a
case like this ? Won't Insurance and registration wonder about it ?

Old February 2nd 06, 08:50 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

little gears inside the gauges have probably worn out or
damaged....

make sure it's not the cable though by twisting the core to
see any movement, pushing it in and out whilst twisting.

getting the gears inside the gauges replaced or repaired is easy
if done by reputable person but getting the dash out is a bit of a
P.I.T.A.

as long as you like working upside down, removal can be straight
forward.

MARK/LABEL EVERYTHING when removing the dash otherwise
putting humpty back together can be a BIGGER P.I.T.A....

harry
'64 coupe downunder

oups.com...

Old February 2nd 06, 07:09 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

On 1 Feb 2006 23:04:51 -0800, "E_Tar" > wrote:

>Still restoring my C3. Its raining like nuts here in california so I
>haven't been able to take her out for a nice drive. Rain sucks...

Heck try being an amature astromoner...clouds suck..! and we have more
cloudy nights then rainny days (well except on the weekends in the
summer and I want to drive one of my Corvettes...then it not only
rains..but the clouds are out also...

>I have a problem with my tach and speedometer.
>The needle doesn't move (hasn't moved for a month) and the (tach) miles
>also don't move.

Are you talking about the Speedometer...its mechanical..OR are you
talking about the Tack which in a 28 yo car (78?) has a circuit board
and is electrical)

OR are you saying that the odometer also does not work ... ????

>It is stuck at 75k odd miles
>My question is.. would just buying a cable and reinstalling it solve
>the problem, or whether I should buy a new tach/speedometer guage
>altogether. Will there be a problem with that ?
>suddenly a 28 year old car with 75k miles starts over ....with 0 ?
>
>I really don't think carfax will even know about it, since the 13 digit
>VIN doesn't show up on a carfax record. But what is usually done in a
>case like this ? Won't Insurance and registration wonder about it ?

The Republic of California is weird I have no clue how that State
views anything..BUT in Maryland you can simply state that the milage
shown IS NOT CORRECT.. when you register the car...most of my cars
show very low milage...BUT the odometers have all turned over..How
many times? well "I think" only once... who knows...?...

Not sure off the top of my head but if the car is a 78 you have 2
speedometer cables to deal with... Tach has none...
Colored Nylon Gear in the tranmission housing may also be stripped
Bob G.
64 72 76 79 & 95

Old February 2nd 06, 07:23 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

"E_Tar" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Still restoring my C3. Its raining like nuts here in
> california so I
> haven't been able to take her out for a nice drive. Rain
> sucks...
>
> I have a problem with my tach and speedometer.
> The needle doesn't move (hasn't moved for a month) and the
> (tach) miles
> also don't move.
> It is stuck at 75k odd miles
> My question is.. would just buying a cable and
> reinstalling it solve
> the problem, or whether I should buy a new
> tach/speedometer guage
> altogether. Will there be a problem with that ?

whats (tach) miles ???
:-)
the cable would be my first thing to "check"...

> suddenly a 28 year old car with 75k miles starts over
> ....with 0 ?

not really :-)

> I really don't think carfax will even know about it, since
> the 13 digit
> VIN doesn't show up on a carfax record. But what is
> usually done in a
> case like this ?

when you sell the car.
you will have to sign to the trur milage statement.

>Won't Insurance and registration wonder about it ?

sure they would..
also,
don't think for a minute that there is not a milage record
anywhere for your car.

g'day
--
"Key"
Grant me the senility to forget the people

Old February 2nd 06, 10:01 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

The tach is not working (no needle movement). The speedometer works,
but the miles on the speedometer are stuck.
Sorry I was not more specific in my earlier post. My Bad. :-)

Old February 3rd 06, 05:57 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

If it is 28 years old, and thus a '78, then you have an electronic circuit
board that is prone to fail that runs the tach. Check Ecklers, Mid America,
Corvette Central, et al, for a new one. If your car is really more than 28,
'74 and older, then the tach is mechanical and the gears in the distributor
eat themselves for lunch. Both the cross shaft and the main shaft gears
will be gone and need replacing.

In the speedometer/odometer, the drag of the trip odometer is prone to
stripping the odometer gears due to the load. And competent local
speedometer shop can repair with no problem. However, before reinstalling,
be sure to lube the trip odometer reset cable and the speedometer cable.

oups.com...

Old February 3rd 06, 08:45 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

E_Tar wrote:
> Still restoring my C3. Its raining like nuts here in california so I
> haven't been able to take her out for a nice drive. Rain sucks...
>
> I have a problem with my tach and speedometer.
> The needle doesn't move (hasn't moved for a month) and the (tach) miles
> also don't move.
> It is stuck at 75k odd miles
> My question is.. would just buying a cable and reinstalling it solve
> the problem, or whether I should buy a new tach/speedometer guage
> altogether. Will there be a problem with that ?
> suddenly a 28 year old car with 75k miles starts over ....with 0 ?
>
> I really don't think carfax will even know about it, since the 13 digit
> VIN doesn't show up on a carfax record. But what is usually done in a
> case like this ? Won't Insurance and registration wonder about it ?

California DMV lets you off the hook when the car is 10 years old. No
sweat if the car stays he

<< http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk_pdf/ch23.pdf >>

Just in case the car will be resold in another state with more picky
laws it might be a good idea to make a "best estimate" of the mileage at
time of repair. Jot it down and have it notarized (so that the notary's
seal date will be close to the date that the repair was made.) Pass the
note along with the pinkslip--might help someone else get a clean title.
Best of luck in finding a reasonably priced Notary--last signature I
had verified cost me $ 22.

HTH
--
…PJ