C5 Popup Light Problems

Old December 31st 05, 10:16 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default C5 Popup Light Problems

My '98 C5 lights will only open after being turned on and off twice. The
dealer said it was a relay but my extended warranty company 1Source (now out
of business) denied the claim because the inspector said it could be
something else. Could this be more than one thing?

--
Warmest regards,

Steve Horrillo, Realtor / C.Ht. =^..^=
http://BrokerAgentTraining.com http://over100percent.com
Old January 1st 06, 02:35 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

I had the same problem. It gradually deteriorated to the point where there
was a grinding noise, then the light may or may not pop up. This was the
final and EASY solution....
Pappy

Old January 7th 06, 10:34 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

My 99 C5 has started doing this. I generally give myself a couple of
minutes before driving at night - just in case I have to try the lights a
few times - and people don't like the C6 lights. WTF - getting rid of
pop-up- headlights means 1 less thing to fail. OK, it's not a problem if
you a. sell the car after 2 years or b. are an accomplished mechanic - I'm
neither.

Right now, my 99 has
a. seat slop.
b. airlock in cooling system.
c. R/R wheel with cracked chrome (or wheel).
d. sagging door hinges.
e. headlights that don't always pop up.
f. abs & traction control that keep intermittently saying they're not
working.
g. center section of airdam pushed back (hit part of the carcass of a
truck tire on the freeway, at night).

So all in all, I hope car designers will think about what is going to fail
on the car as it ages. no pop-up headlights mean - the pop-up can't fail.
Right now, if I didn't hate F**d drivers so much, I'd buy a 2006 GT500.

Old January 8th 06, 05:40 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

On 7-Jan-2006, Rufio > wrote:

> My 99 C5 has started doing this. I generally give myself a couple of
> minutes before driving at night - just in case I have to try the lights a
>
> few times - and people don't like the C6 lights. WTF - getting rid of
> pop-up- headlights means 1 less thing to fail. OK, it's not a problem if
> you a. sell the car after 2 years or b. are an accomplished mechanic - I'm
>
> neither.
>
> Right now, my 99 has
> a. seat slop.
> b. airlock in cooling system.
> c. R/R wheel with cracked chrome (or wheel).
> d. sagging door hinges.
> e. headlights that don't always pop up.
> f. abs & traction control that keep intermittently saying they're not
> working.
> g. center section of airdam pushed back (hit part of the carcass of a
> truck tire on the freeway, at night).
>
> So all in all, I hope car designers will think about what is going to fail
>
> on the car as it ages. no pop-up headlights mean - the pop-up can't fail.
>
> Right now, if I didn't hate F**d drivers so much, I'd buy a 2006 GT500.

And on mine (a '98) both side arm rests have wrinkled and cracked and the
center console has several splits in it. BTW I found that there's a knob on
the headlights so you can manually crank them open if the motor fails.

Old January 14th 06, 11:08 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Rufio- Your car is 7!!! years old. Although we are all annoyed at the seat
slop, the sagging door hinges, cracked wheel, airdam are not really quality
issues. More like people leaning on opened doors, running over pot holes,
and truck tires (GASP!). The airdams sell for about $70 on ebay and attach
with two bolts. You probably dont even need a new one just get in there and
pull the truck tire out from under your car and it should come back down. I
would be curious if your car is overheating. (airlock in cooling system)
C5's need the air dam in the down position to direct air to your radiator.

Oh, I'd also be curious if your cracked R/R wheel broke a sensor when it
got cracked. I've heard of C5's having a traction warning when making fast
right hand turns from a stand still. My 2000 does that sometimes but I
usually don't accelerate fast unless there's a hopped up 5.0 next to me
under a light.

-Stan
'99 Blown Vert
'00 Coupe

newsp.s2040j0b6x1zv6@daves-m520...

Old January 14th 06, 12:01 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

On 14-Jan-2006, "sbright" > wrote:

> would be curious if your car is overheating. (airlock in cooling system)
> C5's need the air dam in the down position to direct air to your radiator.

I've not had an air dam for years on my C5 and the temp has never exceeded
215 degrees. And I live in South Florida.

--
All the best,

Steve
Old February 2nd 06, 03:26 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 05:01:21 -0700, Steve Horrillo
> wrote:

> On 14-Jan-2006, "sbright" > wrote:

>> would be curious if your car is overheating. (airlock in cooling
>> system)
>> C5's need the air dam in the down position to direct air to your
>> radiator.

> I've not had an air dam for years on my C5 and the temp has never
> exceeded
> 215 degrees. And I live in South Florida.

Sorry for the delay - Opera decided you were spam. My airdam isn't so much
"no airdam" as "anti-airdam". When I drive my evening commute, I spend 1
hour & 45 minutes on the freeway in Scottsdale Arizona - at 0-25-0 MPH. It
gets up to 228F & then the fan cuts in. But then it could be worse - at
least I got out of Plantation in 1996 (how can you stand the
humidity....and the East Coasters coming South in Winter?).

Old February 2nd 06, 03:32 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

But a Rolls Royce that is 20 years old is a GREAT second hand car - it
NEVER ages :-)

I didn't break a sensor when I cracked the rim - my traction control & abs
were already playing up long before that - but het - a good driver doesn't
need them (and at $2,500 replacement cost - why bother).

So I've now got a new chromed OEM rim. But Discount Tires threw a wobbly
when they saw the Nittos on the back - said they were bald - bollox.
Couldn't get F1 Supercars, so I have a pair of GS-D3's & they're fine for
the difference in price (compared to Supercars).

I just got a pair of ramps & I'll be woodworking this weekend to build a
pair of low angle extensions so I can get my C-5 up the ramp & I can
straighten the airdam.

I DO love my C-5 90% of the time (but maybe Recaro's on the shooping list,
if I can't fix the seat slop - leather's split & stained by the orginal
owner, so I'm not giving up much).

Old February 2nd 06, 07:13 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Well its a good thing it's a C5, if it happened to a C3 you'd be
screwed. Those suckers had (have) vaccum powered popups... Thank god
mine still work.