Driver's door key lock doesn't work - 97 Golf

Old December 12th 05, 01:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default Driver's door key lock doesn't work - 97 Golf

The key lock on our 97 Golf (4 door, gas, automatic) quit working
recently. Locks all work from the console button, or with the key in the
passenger door lock.

The red security LED in the driver's door failed at the same time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Old December 13th 05, 08:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

In article >, Jack > wrote:
>The key lock on our 97 Golf (4 door, gas, automatic) quit working
>recently. Locks all work from the console button, or with the key in the
>passenger door lock.
>
>The red security LED in the driver's door failed at the same time.

a small part breaks. its very easy and cheap to fix. check local shops
or just dissassemble de lock. no need to remove the inside trim, just
remove the Torx screw that holds the handle and slide it out.

--
Eduardo K. |
http://www.carfun.cl | Freedom's just another word

Old December 16th 05, 03:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, Jack wrote:

>The key lock on our 97 Golf (4 door, gas, automatic) quit working
>recently. Locks all work from the console button, or with the key in the
>passenger door lock.
>
>The red security LED in the driver's door failed at the same time.
>
>Any suggestions?

Other than not working, are there more specific symptoms... such as
the lock turns but does not open the door, the cylinder comes out,
or it behaves as if you inserted the wrong key?
Old December 16th 05, 11:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Thanks for the reply, Tom.

The lock cylinder behaves normally - key goes in, rotates, but nothing more
happens.

Old December 16th 05, 04:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, Jack wrote:

>Thanks for the reply, Tom.
>
>The lock cylinder behaves normally - key goes in, rotates, but nothing more
>happens.

It rotates to a stop, but not all around. I would go with Eduardo's
suggestion. Take digital pictures as you go.