Changing the battery in the remote key

Old April 4th 10, 01:46 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Mark A. Prior

Default Changing the battery in the remote key

I have had my 2003 TT from new and have always used the same key to lock and unlock it. This key is
now becoming increasingly unreliable. I have dug out the spare which is working perfectly.

Just in case the spare does not provide seven years service, or in case I lose it, I would love to
know how to get the remote key open to change the battery. There is a small rectangular notch on
the opposite side to the buttons, the side with the Audi logo, but it seems as if it is going to
take some force to shift it.
Old April 4th 10, 01:56 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Steve Daniels

On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 10:46:17 +1000, against all advice, something
compelled Mark A. Prior, to say:

> I have had my 2003 TT from new and have always used the same key to lock and unlock it. This key is
> now becoming increasingly unreliable. I have dug out the spare which is working perfectly.
>
> Just in case the spare does not provide seven years service, or in case I lose it, I would love to
> know how to get the remote key open to change the battery. There is a small rectangular notch on
> the opposite side to the buttons, the side with the Audi logo, but it seems as if it is going to
> take some force to shift it.

My '04 TT's owner's manual has instructions for this. I imagine
your's does as well. Of course, the first thing it says is to
have the dealer do it, but it will tell you how.

Old April 4th 10, 07:47 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Ken Tukyfriedturkey

<Mark A. Prior> wrote in message
>I have had my 2003 TT from new and have always used the same key to lock
>and unlock it. This key is
> now becoming increasingly unreliable. I have dug out the spare which is
> working perfectly.
>
> Just in case the spare does not provide seven years service, or in case I
> lose it, I would love to
> know how to get the remote key open to change the battery. There is a
> small rectangular notch on
> the opposite side to the buttons, the side with the Audi logo, but it
> seems as if it is going to
> take some force to shift it.

A 3 handed job it is.

There are 2 main sections of the fob. The top section that holds the key and
the bottom that holds the electronics + battery. These need parting and its
that small notch that holds the key if you excuse the pun.

Place small screw driver into the notch and gently prise it up only about
1mm or less while pulling the top section away from the bottom.

Once the bottom is off it is also in 2 sections top and bottom, just a good
hard pull and they can be parted.

This is all in the owners manual by the way.

Old April 5th 10, 03:24 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Mark A. Prior

Thank you all for the advice. I have now checked the manual and found the section I had missed the
first time around because in my version the words on changing the battery are not in same place as
the words on the on operation of the remote key.

Now I have two questions. First, what is the type/designation of the battery? I cannot find any
help on that in the manual. Second, is there a time limit within which the battery must be removed
and replaced before synchronisation with the vehicle is lost?

Thanks,

Mark
Old April 5th 10, 04:54 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Ken Tukyfriedturkey

<Mark A. Prior> wrote in message
> Thank you all for the advice. I have now checked the manual and found the
> section I had missed the
> first time around because in my version the words on changing the battery
> are not in same place as
> the words on the on operation of the remote key.
>
> Now I have two questions. First, what is the type/designation of the
> battery? I cannot find any
> help on that in the manual. Second, is there a time limit within which
> the battery must be removed
> and replaced before synchronisation with the vehicle is lost?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

They can vary so you are best check by removing yours.

Also

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you...udi_a4_key_fob

Old April 6th 10, 01:14 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Sometimes the VW parts people will install the battery(ies) for free if you
buy from them. ;-)
My remote takes two batteries that are hard to find at most common stores.
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

Old April 6th 10, 10:25 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Mark[_35_]

On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 04:54:24 +0100, "Ken Tukyfriedturkey"
> wrote:

><Mark A. Prior> wrote in message
.. .
>> Thank you all for the advice. I have now checked the manual and found the
>> section I had missed the
>> first time around because in my version the words on changing the battery
>> are not in same place as
>> the words on the on operation of the remote key.
>>
>> Now I have two questions. First, what is the type/designation of the
>> battery? I cannot find any
>> help on that in the manual. Second, is there a time limit within which
>> the battery must be removed
>> and replaced before synchronisation with the vehicle is lost?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Mark

>They can vary so you are best check by removing yours.
>
>Also
>
>http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you...udi_a4_key_fob

I didn't have to do anything special with my A6 key fob. It worked
straight away after changing the batteries.
--
(\__/) M.

Old April 7th 10, 05:04 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Ken Tukyfriedturkey

"Mark" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 04:54:24 +0100, "Ken Tukyfriedturkey"
> > wrote:
>

>><Mark A. Prior> wrote in message
. ..
>>> Thank you all for the advice. I have now checked the manual and found
>>> the
>>> section I had missed the
>>> first time around because in my version the words on changing the
>>> battery
>>> are not in same place as
>>> the words on the on operation of the remote key.
>>>
>>> Now I have two questions. First, what is the type/designation of the
>>> battery? I cannot find any
>>> help on that in the manual. Second, is there a time limit within which
>>> the battery must be removed
>>> and replaced before synchronisation with the vehicle is lost?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Mark

>>They can vary so you are best check by removing yours.
>>
>>Also
>>
>>http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you...udi_a4_key_fob

> I didn't have to do anything special with my A6 key fob. It worked
> straight away after changing the batteries.
> --
> (\__/) M.
> (")_(") their inaction to the problem. I am blocking most articles
> posted from there. If you wish your postings to be seen by
> everyone you will need use a different method of posting.

That's probably when putting the new ones in straight after removing the
old. It might be different if there were no batteries in it for a while.

Old April 14th 10, 02:59 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Mark A. Prior

The key has been sitting on my desk for ages. I took it apart to confirm which battery, CR2032, and
then put the old battery back in and put the battery cover back on. I eventually bought a new
battery, yesterday, swapped out the old one and the key immediately became operational. No need to
re-synchronise or anything. Makes me very happy, I am now using the old key again and it is clean
and tidy because I removed the metal loops there for a key ring; superfluous to my needs.

Thanks for all the guidance.

Changing remote start battery [email protected] Saturn 2 July 5th 09 05:49 AM
Changing a car battery Dee5 Technology 4 June 11th 06 06:52 AM
Changing the battery [email protected] Technology 16 April 8th 05 03:41 PM
Battery for remote key fob [email protected] Chrysler 1 February 28th 05 06:26 PM
Battery for remote key fob [email protected] Technology 1 February 28th 05 06:26 PM