Dump AOL and any partners they have

Old January 25th 05, 11:30 PM
RichA

Default Dump AOL and any partners they have

I understand from your recent e-mail that you have questions about the
AOL« Newsgroups.

The AOL Newsgroup service will be discontinued in February 2005.

For members using AOL over a dial-up connection, you will no longer be
able to access AOL Newsgroups.

If you have a separate high-speed connection, you can contact your
broadband provider to see if they offer Newsgroups.

Newsgroup services can often be accessed through a third party reader,
such as Mozilla Thunderbird
(http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/).

Alternatively, you can access Newsgroups via Google at
http://groups.google.com/.

We apologize for this inconvenience.
If you need assistance through telephone, you may call us at our
toll-free number: 1-800-827-6364. Calling early in the day usually
reduces the waiting time to speak to a consultant.
Jason BD.
AOL Customer Care Consultant

Old January 27th 05, 01:47 AM
WindsorFox[SS]

RichA wrote:

> I understand from your recent e-mail that you have questions about the
> AOL=AB Newsgroups.
>=20
> The AOL Newsgroup service will be discontinued in February 2005.=20
>=20

One word. Hallow-FREAKING-looya!

My apologies to Tim, Patrick, Mike and Steve Et al.... :-p

--=20
3) If it were My Mustang, I would have yanked
the stupid xxxxx out of her beater and beat in
her doors with her face. - SVTKate
Old January 27th 05, 10:12 PM
dwight

"WindsorFox[SS]" > wrote in message
> RichA wrote:
>
> > I understand from your recent e-mail that you have questions about the
> > AOL« Newsgroups.
> >
> > The AOL Newsgroup service will be discontinued in February 2005.

> One word. Hallow-FREAKING-looya!
>
> My apologies to Tim, Patrick, Mike and Steve Et al.... :-p

Don't forget - I was an AOLer for many years. Even back then, they hid their
newsgroup access (I had to hunt throughout the system to find it). Once I
found out about free e-mail (NetZero) and free newsgroup access
(news.individual.net), I wondered what I was paying (then) $21.95 a month
for.

I had everything for free. For a short while. Once cable hit my
neighborhood, I couldn't pay enough.

dwight

Old January 28th 05, 03:44 PM
Backyard Mechanic

RichA opined in :

> We apologize for this inconvenience.

> Jason BD.
> AOL Customer Care Consultant

He may apologize but AOL doesnt... they've tried to control everything,
content-wise, to their own ends for years..

Now they have a good reason, since they are pushing the "child Friendly"
services, and I dont blame them, per se. It's impossible to police
Newsgroups.

But remember this, it was Steve Case's ambition to corner the "information
market".

That was the motivator for the T/W merger.. and it pleases me no end that the
merger, for all practical purposes, failed!

People who waste their hate on Bill Gates should ask themselves "which is
more dangerous?"

Old January 28th 05, 10:25 PM
RichA

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:44:19 GMT, Backyard Mechanic
> wrote:

>RichA opined in :
>

>> We apologize for this inconvenience.

>> Jason BD.
>> AOL Customer Care Consultant
>>

>He may apologize but AOL doesnt... they've tried to control everything,
>content-wise, to their own ends for years..
>
>Now they have a good reason, since they are pushing the "child Friendly"
>services, and I dont blame them, per se. It's impossible to police
>Newsgroups.
>
>But remember this, it was Steve Case's ambition to corner the "information
>market".
>
>That was the motivator for the T/W merger.. and it pleases me no end that the
>merger, for all practical purposes, failed!
>
>People who waste their hate on Bill Gates should ask themselves "which is
>more dangerous?"

I hate Gates just as much for allowing a program standard that
encourages viruses, spam, trojans, and every other internet horror
as I do loser AOLs attempts at censorship.
-Rich
Old January 29th 05, 04:08 AM
JS

"RichA" > wrote in message

> I hate Gates just as much for allowing a program standard that
> encourages viruses, spam, trojans, and every other internet horror
> as I do loser AOLs attempts at censorship.
> -Rich

While I'm in no way encouraging anything, nor am I defending anyone, I think
the main reason that "every other internet horror" thrives on Microsoft
products is because M$ systems are the standard worldwide. When you have
most of the market share, more people are exposed to your product... more
people are tempted to crack your product looking for information, or jut to
pull a prank. Almost every piece of code has a software flaw, and with the
sheer size of the code required for the new Windows operating systems,
people are sure to find them.

I don't care much for Gates & Co. more because of his attempts to keep
competitors away. Hard to try to make a living sellnig what someone gives
away for free, even if it is better. Hard to give it away for free if it's
not as compatible, or widespread... and it's hard to give away your core
product when the empire's giving away a piece of side code.

JS

Old January 29th 05, 09:59 AM
WindsorFox[SS]

Backyard Mechanic wrote:
> RichA opined in :
>

>>We apologize for this inconvenience.

>>Jason BD.
>>AOL Customer Care Consultant
>>

> He may apologize but AOL doesnt... they've tried to control everything,
> content-wise, to their own ends for years..
>
> Now they have a good reason, since they are pushing the "child Friendly"
> services, and I dont blame them, per se. It's impossible to police
> Newsgroups.

Which has nothing to do with the situation, because with any
parental controls turned on you can not access Usenet through AOL.

Old January 30th 05, 12:45 AM
RichA

:

>> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:44:19 GMT, Backyard Mechanic
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>RichA opined in :

>>>He may apologize but AOL doesnt... they've tried to control
>>>everything, content-wise, to their own ends for years..
>>>
>>>Now they have a good reason, since they are pushing the "child
>>>Friendly" services, and I dont blame them, per se. It's impossible
>>>to police Newsgroups.
>>>
>>>But remember this, it was Steve Case's ambition to corner the
>>>"information market".
>>>
>>>That was the motivator for the T/W merger.. and it pleases me no end
>>>that the merger, for all practical purposes, failed!
>>>
>>>People who waste their hate on Bill Gates should ask themselves
>>>"which is more dangerous?"

>> I hate Gates just as much for allowing a program standard that
>> encourages viruses, spam, trojans, and every other internet horror
>> as I do loser AOLs attempts at censorship.
>> -Rich

>When you put all things in perspective, "hating" Bill Gates (or even
>Steve Case for that matter) is pretty small. Look around the globe
>and then think about what you _really_ hate.
>
>Joe
>Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
>Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC

Honestly, how much effect (really) does the
the leader of North Korea have on me versus
direct effects of the programs of Bill Gates?
Besides, I can categorize hatreds.
Political Hatreds: Communists and leftists.
Technological Hatreds: Cell phones, Microsoft, Intel
(who I especially hate), Dell and HP.
-Rich
Old January 30th 05, 12:52 AM
RichA

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 03:59:13 -0600, "WindsorFox[SS]"
> wrote:

>Backyard Mechanic wrote:
>> RichA opined in :
>>

>>>We apologize for this inconvenience.

>>>Jason BD.
>>>AOL Customer Care Consultant
>>>

>> He may apologize but AOL doesnt... they've tried to control everything,
>> content-wise, to their own ends for years..
>>
>> Now they have a good reason, since they are pushing the "child Friendly"
>> services, and I dont blame them, per se. It's impossible to police
>> Newsgroups.
>>

> Which has nothing to do with the situation, because with any
>parental controls turned on you can not access Usenet through AOL.

AOL is is deep trouble. They'll do anything (including pairing up
with Rogers in Canada, like Bell Sympatico and Yahoo. Sympatico
tried to push me to adopt the Yahoo "premium services" and I almost
laughed out loud on the phone at them) to shore up their quickly
shrinking market. AOL is a product of the early internet, they aren't
needed anymore. When they are gone, their only legacy will be
millions upon millions of plastic discs littering landfills and never
decomposing.
-Rich
Old January 30th 05, 02:07 PM
dwight

"RichA" > wrote in message

> Honestly, how much effect (really) does the
> the leader of North Korea have on me versus
> direct effects of the programs of Bill Gates?
> Besides, I can categorize hatreds.
> Political Hatreds: Communists and leftists.
> Technological Hatreds: Cell phones, Microsoft, Intel
> (who I especially hate), Dell and HP.
> -Rich

Cellphones?

dwight