Cylinder order

Old August 14th 07, 05:27 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Gabe Knuth

Default Cylinder order

I should probably know this, but I'll ask anyway to save some time
doing the process of elimination. How are the cylinders numbered on
my 328i? Is it 1-6 front to back, or back to front? Or something
different altogether?

Thanks!

Old August 14th 07, 05:39 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

"Gabe Knuth" > wrote
>I should probably know this, but I'll ask anyway to save some time
> doing the process of elimination. How are the cylinders numbered on
> my 328i? Is it 1-6 front to back, or back to front? Or something
> different altogether?

1 is in front. Zundfolge (firing order) is 153624

FloydR

Old August 15th 07, 12:32 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

All cylinders are numbered from 1 in the front to whatever in the back.

There are variances on V8 and V6 motors where the numbers are either odd or
even on one side, or sequential, but 1 is always the forward most cylinder
on the crankshaft and the highest number is the rear most cylinder on the
crankshaft.

I got into a lengthy discussion a few months back about whether #1 was on
the right or left bank, but I could have looked for myself and found that my
argument was flawed. I promoted the notion that #1 was the left side first
piston, but on my own vehicle, it was clear that the right side bank of
pistons was forward with respect to the right, making my argument to be in
error.

Despite my confusion on which side was forward of the other, the #1 piston
is always the forward piston on the crankshaft. The rest are numbered toward
the rear.

Keep in mind that front and rear of the engine are relative. If the motor is
sideways, the front could be on the left or the right side, depending on the
engineers. I seem to recall that my Hondas had the front of the motor to the
left side, but I can't say that the front will always be on the left. It
should be a safe statement that the rear of the engine is the end that has
the transmission bolted to it, and the front is the end that has the belt(s)
that run the auxiliary stuff such as power steering and air conditioning.

ups.com...

Old August 15th 07, 12:34 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

15 is too young
36 is too old
24 is just right.

153624

Old August 15th 07, 01:26 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dean Dark

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 23:34:30 GMT, "Jeff Strickland"
> wrote:

>15 is too young
>36 is too old
>24 is just right.
>
>153624

Clever. But let me tell you that I have experience of some 40+ ones
that are *pretty* *damned* *hot* as well.
--
Dan.
Old August 15th 07, 01:34 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dean Dark

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 23:32:28 GMT, "Jeff Strickland"
> wrote:

>. I seem to recall that my Hondas had the front of the motor to the
>left side, but I can't say that the front will always be on the left.

And to make matters worse, for the longest time Honda engines ran
backwards. I think the engine in the S2000 was the first one that ran
the 'correct' way. It may have had something to do with Honda's
ambition to be an engine supplier to other car makers. GM uses Honda
engines in some marque models now, though they don't advertise it. I
think they should, I'd buy a _shed_ with a Honda engine in it -
knowing that the engine will therefore be the *least* of my problems.
--
Dan.
Old August 15th 07, 03:23 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

"Dean Dark" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 23:34:30 GMT, "Jeff Strickland"
> > wrote:
>
>>15 is too young
>>36 is too old
>>24 is just right.
>>
>>153624

and for a V8?

> Clever. But let me tell you that I have experience of some 40+ ones
> that are *pretty* *damned* *hot* as well.

all based on sound practical experienced - well except perhaps for the "as
well".

Still a V8 order of 52 61 37 48 would seem to suit?