After Market bumpers rust like mad!!

Old October 21st 04, 03:39 AM
Joe Cali Next Generation-usa

"Howard Nelson" > wrote in message om>...
> "vwluvrs" > wrote in message
> > Joe Cali Next Generation-usa wrote:
> > > I replaced my 74 bumpers with what is called triple chrome plated at
> > > extra cost. Left out in the rain they started to rust. You must keep
> > > several coats of wax on the bumpers. The bottoms where I did not wax
> > > is now completely rusted. Just a warning. If you can get a good set
> > > of original bumpers. Spend the money and get them rechromed. The
> > > original are heavier and better made.

> > also, spray paint the back side of those same bumpers, you'll be glad
> > you did!

> Wish it were that cost effective. When I redid my 55 oval I had (and still
> have) the original blades but the cost of rechrome (in the good old EPA
> friendly USA) was 5 times the cost of buying cheap (but good looking) knock
> offs. I bought the knock offs and yes the metal is thin, the back side
> rusts and the chrome pits beginning at about 2 years but at the cost of
> rechrome I can replace the suckers every 2-3 years and still be ahead. I
> didn't look at driving over the border but perhaps a decent rechrome
> wouldn't be that expensive in Mexico. Got the various other chrome parts on
> the 55 rechromed and the cost of the small parts rechrome was about 1/2 the
> cost of the car when new.
> Howard
>

> ---

If you checked out my bumpers I would only have to chrome the top
halfs. So that would be the price of one. Hay lets not forget the
after market early head light rings. Light mist and they rust. That
is why I painted them the same color as my car.
Joe
Old October 21st 04, 05:21 PM
Howard Rose

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 14:54:51 +0200, Jan >
wrote:

>Some French and british cars of the 60's had stainless steel bumpers.. I
>have a few that are practically like new, despite having spent most of
>their lives out in the elements. Why oh why didn't VW do that....
>grrrrr.

You *can* get stainless steel blade bumpers for VW's! But from what I
heard, they loose their shine after a while (but they don't rust...).

Anyone ever used them before?

--
Howard Rose
1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe
Old October 21st 04, 05:25 PM
Howard Rose

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:21:49 +0100, Howard Rose
> wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 14:54:51 +0200, Jan >
>wrote:
>
>>Some French and british cars of the 60's had stainless steel bumpers.. I
>>have a few that are practically like new, despite having spent most of
>>their lives out in the elements. Why oh why didn't VW do that....
>>grrrrr.

>You *can* get stainless steel blade bumpers for VW's! But from what I
>heard, they loose their shine after a while (but they don't rust...).
>
>Anyone ever used them before?

He
http://www.vwheritage.com/publicRout...6&cfid=1463144

£107.95 (just under ~US$200 each). They look to be triple chrome
plated stainless steel.

Don't know anyone who uses them though :-P

Old October 25th 04, 03:03 AM
jjs

"Joe Cali Next Generation-usa" > wrote in message
om...
>I replaced my 74 bumpers with what is called triple chrome plated at
> extra cost. Left out in the rain they started to rust. You must keep
> several coats of wax on the bumpers. The bottoms where I did not wax
> is now completely rusted. Just a warning. If you can get a good set
> of original bumpers. Spend the money and get them rechromed. The
> original are heavier and better made.

Sucks, doesn't it? "Triple Chrome Plated" means squat. What is needed is
triple coated Copper, then Nickle, then Chrome and on both sides. So they
put what they call "three coats" of some shiny crap and say the magic words.

It does help to paint the inside of the bumpers with Rustoleum (no kidding),
then clear over both sides. Mine are four years old. Still looking good.

Old October 25th 04, 02:24 PM
Howard Rose

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 21:03:48 -0500, "jjs" > wrote:

>It does help to paint the inside of the bumpers with Rustoleum (no kidding),
>then clear over both sides. Mine are four years old. Still looking good.

VW also painted the insides of bumpers!
Old October 25th 04, 07:35 PM

Howard Rose > wrote in message >. ..
> On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 21:03:48 -0500, "jjs" > wrote:
>
> >It does help to paint the inside of the bumpers with Rustoleum (no kidding),
> >then clear over both sides. Mine are four years old. Still looking good.

> VW also painted the insides of bumpers!

I painted the insides and under side. Clear coat sucked because it
dulled the finish and peeled in some areas. If you keep a good coat of
paste wax on it, it will last.
Joe