Moving to Europe - what to do with the 03 Cobra

Old December 24th 04, 08:34 AM
Elmo

Mike - Bring her with you!!! It'll cost you between 700 and 1000$ for
the shipping, then when in Belgium, you'll need to pass a Ministry of
Transport test on the car (not too expensive), but you will need to
change the rear lights - ie if you have red indicators, they need to
be yellow, if you have rear lights/brake lights/indicators on the same
bulbs (as most US cars I believe), you need to get them seperated -
but then you should be able to find the correct light assemblies and
wiring harnesses in the US at a mustang aftermarket dealer (or maybe
even at FORD)... Front lights need to be CE approved - these you
should be able to purchase in the US in advance.
As for the comments about finding a mechanic - there are plenty of
mechanice here who work on US cars and trucks - though I will say Be
very careful with who you confide your car!! There are US specific
garages, but they tend to be expensive - when in Belgium (or maybe
before) ask your colleagues for advice and recommendations - that's
usually the best way. The Belgian Embassy should be able to give you
more info if you need it.
Of course, if you're going to be in the south of Belgium, you can
always pop into Paris where there are several US dealers....

HTH

Kevin

BTW if you decide to sell her here - there are people pretty much
ready to pay whatever you ask.... my fee is 2% lol

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 06:55:48 -0600, "Mike Schultz"

Old December 24th 04, 01:29 PM
2.3Sleeper

I think you should donate it to a business. There is a great start-up
company here in Oklahoma that could use a good vehicle. The tax write-off on
it would be great for you.

www.okccsi.com

Don Manning
"Mike Schultz" > wrote in message
newsfzyd.15464$ql2.4305@okepread04...
> Guys:
>
> I'm moving to Belgium in April, and am unsure about what to do with my 03
> Cobra. I figure the best bet is to sell it (even though I'm upside down

on
> it) and forget about it until I move home in 3 years. But does anyone

know
> what would be involved in importing it over there? I know the $6/gallon

gas
> and road taxes and stuff would be obnoxious, but would I also have to pay

> get lots of modifications done? And would I be able to sell it at a

premium
> over there when I was done (I'm guessing its an uncommon car).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

---

Old December 24th 04, 01:34 PM
2.3Sleeper

I might have shipped your car for you. Being on an amphib meant that we did
this occasionally. One in particular time we were loaded extremely heavy
with vehicles. All were coming from San Diego to Hawaii. The three time we
did it while I was on board we never had a single accident. I was the crane
operator too by the way.

We shipped one of those nice Sea-Doo PWC's once and it was very tempting to
set it in the water and have some fun.

Don Manning
USS Wabash
USS Fort Fisher

"Spike" > wrote in message
> That varies from base to base depending on available space. The only
> bases where I saw this done was when the individual was either TDY
> status, or on a tour with a guaranteed return. And military had REALLY
> cheap shipping.... no containers though. Accidents do happen. Saw the
> Army TTU drop a vette from the crane.... and on another ship they
> stored cement above the level where the cars were. They had some
> leakage and one of the cars had sold concrete down the windshield and
> into the vents. I shipped cars twice. Both went through without a
> scratch. The PCS to Portugal was free, and the PCS return from Japan
> cost $116 because as an E4 I wasn't entitled to ship a car. It had to
> go Space A. Shipment from the east coast was from Bayonne, NJ where
> they had a unit essentially dedicated to shipping vehicles. Pickup at
> the same place. On the west coast, it was San Diego. Authorized
> shipment took about 30 days, and Space A took about 90 days.
>
> On 23 Dec 2004 12:08:20 -0800, "Hurt" >
> wrote:
>
> >Mike, are you in the military? 3 years in Belgium sounds like an
> >overseas long tour. If you are than your current base should have an
> >area for storing your vehicle. Check with the MPs/SPs.
> >
> >Dan

> Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
> 1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok
> Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
> Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
> w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16

---

Old December 24th 04, 09:13 PM
Spike

Ever put into the TTU at Lajes, Terceira Island Azores? Naha,
Okinawa?

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 07:34:28 -0600, "2.3Sleeper"
> wrote:

>I might have shipped your car for you. Being on an amphib meant that we did
>this occasionally. One in particular time we were loaded extremely heavy
>with vehicles. All were coming from San Diego to Hawaii. The three time we
>did it while I was on board we never had a single accident. I was the crane
>operator too by the way.
>
>We shipped one of those nice Sea-Doo PWC's once and it was very tempting to
>set it in the water and have some fun.
>
>Don Manning
>USS Wabash
>USS Fort Fisher
>
>"Spike" > wrote in message
.. .
>> That varies from base to base depending on available space. The only
>> bases where I saw this done was when the individual was either TDY
>> status, or on a tour with a guaranteed return. And military had REALLY
>> cheap shipping.... no containers though. Accidents do happen. Saw the
>> Army TTU drop a vette from the crane.... and on another ship they
>> stored cement above the level where the cars were. They had some
>> leakage and one of the cars had sold concrete down the windshield and
>> into the vents. I shipped cars twice. Both went through without a
>> scratch. The PCS to Portugal was free, and the PCS return from Japan
>> cost $116 because as an E4 I wasn't entitled to ship a car. It had to
>> go Space A. Shipment from the east coast was from Bayonne, NJ where
>> they had a unit essentially dedicated to shipping vehicles. Pickup at
>> the same place. On the west coast, it was San Diego. Authorized
>> shipment took about 30 days, and Space A took about 90 days.
>>
>> On 23 Dec 2004 12:08:20 -0800, "Hurt" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Mike, are you in the military? 3 years in Belgium sounds like an
>> >overseas long tour. If you are than your current base should have an
>> >area for storing your vehicle. Check with the MPs/SPs.
>> >
>> >Dan

>> Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
>> 1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok
>> Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
>> Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
>> w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16

>---

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
Old December 24th 04, 09:16 PM
Spike

Don....DUCK!!!!! Kate's getting ready to swing on ya cause that sounds
like bribery... LOL

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 07:29:12 -0600, "2.3Sleeper"
> wrote:

>I think you should donate it to a business. There is a great start-up
>company here in Oklahoma that could use a good vehicle. The tax write-off on
>it would be great for you.
>
>www.okccsi.com
>
>Don Manning
>"Mike Schultz" > wrote in message
>newsfzyd.15464$ql2.4305@okepread04...
>> Guys:
>>
>> I'm moving to Belgium in April, and am unsure about what to do with my 03
>> Cobra. I figure the best bet is to sell it (even though I'm upside down

>on
>> it) and forget about it until I move home in 3 years. But does anyone

>know
>> what would be involved in importing it over there? I know the $6/gallon

>gas
>> and road taxes and stuff would be obnoxious, but would I also have to pay

>> get lots of modifications done? And would I be able to sell it at a

>premium
>> over there when I was done (I'm guessing its an uncommon car).
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Mike
>>

>---

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
Old December 24th 04, 09:17 PM
Spike

See, it sounds like it hasn't changed as much as I would have thought
since the early 80s.

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 09:34:04 +0100, Elmo > wrote:

>Mike - Bring her with you!!! It'll cost you between 700 and 1000$ for
>the shipping, then when in Belgium, you'll need to pass a Ministry of
>Transport test on the car (not too expensive), but you will need to
>change the rear lights - ie if you have red indicators, they need to
>be yellow, if you have rear lights/brake lights/indicators on the same
>bulbs (as most US cars I believe), you need to get them seperated -
>but then you should be able to find the correct light assemblies and
>wiring harnesses in the US at a mustang aftermarket dealer (or maybe
>even at FORD)... Front lights need to be CE approved - these you
>should be able to purchase in the US in advance.
>As for the comments about finding a mechanic - there are plenty of
>mechanice here who work on US cars and trucks - though I will say Be
>very careful with who you confide your car!! There are US specific
>garages, but they tend to be expensive - when in Belgium (or maybe
>before) ask your colleagues for advice and recommendations - that's
>usually the best way. The Belgian Embassy should be able to give you
>more info if you need it.
>Of course, if you're going to be in the south of Belgium, you can
>always pop into Paris where there are several US dealers....
>
>HTH
>
>Kevin
>
>BTW if you decide to sell her here - there are people pretty much
>ready to pay whatever you ask.... my fee is 2% lol
>
>On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 06:55:48 -0600, "Mike Schultz"
> wrote:
>
>>Guys:
>>
>>I'm moving to Belgium in April, and am unsure about what to do with my 03
>>Cobra. I figure the best bet is to sell it (even though I'm upside down on
>>it) and forget about it until I move home in 3 years. But does anyone know
>>what would be involved in importing it over there? I know the $6/gallon gas
>>and road taxes and stuff would be obnoxious, but would I also have to pay to
>>get lots of modifications done? And would I be able to sell it at a premium
>>over there when I was done (I'm guessing its an uncommon car).
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Mike

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
Old December 24th 04, 10:36 PM
2.3Sleeper

Thailand, Australia, Singapore, UAE, Kuwait, Saudi, Africa, Hong Kong,
Bahamas, Cabo, Hawaii (7 friggin' times),and the Philippines. We hit a
couple other little Mexican/South American ports, but we were usually there
for suppliesonly or two assist in drug ops with the Coast Guard.

Don Manning

Old December 24th 04, 10:37 PM
2.3Sleeper

Bribery hell...sounds like a damn fine addition for a patrol vehicle. Can't
imagine what I would need a chase car for though...actually, yes I can.

Don Manning

news

Old December 25th 04, 05:06 AM
SVTKate

.... and you think *I* dont ????

Old December 25th 04, 05:08 AM
SVTKate

He's a whole lot bigger than I am Spike!
though, I might be more conniving.

news | Don....DUCK!!!!! Kate's getting ready to swing on ya cause that sounds