325 iX viscous coupler?

Old January 20th 08, 06:09 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Stupendous Man

Default 325 iX viscous coupler?

Hi.
I went to look at an 89 325 iX for sale today. I never saw an AWD BMW when I
worked on them 20 years ago in San Diego, but it snows here in Northern
California.
I was suspicious in testing when I could stop both front wheels idling in
Drive on the rack, so tested further.
Rear has a great limited slip diff, is front an open diff, or worn out?
Rear end up on a jack, put running in drive, took it up to 2000 RPM and it
didn't even try to move the car by the front wheels. Bad viscous coupler?
Any cheaper sources than BMW?
Thanks,
--
Stupendous Man,

Old January 20th 08, 07:04 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

"Stupendous Man" > wrote in message
> Hi.
> I went to look at an 89 325 iX for sale today. I never saw an AWD BMW when
> I worked on them 20 years ago in San Diego, but it snows here in Northern
> California.
> I was suspicious in testing when I could stop both front wheels idling in
> Drive on the rack, so tested further.
> Rear has a great limited slip diff, is front an open diff, or worn out?

Almost certainly the front rear diff will be open. A Range Rover has an
option to lock it (e.g. to get out of a quagmire), but it causes bizarre off
road handling and will snap the transmission (even with the clutch in) if
engaged on the road.

> Rear end up on a jack, put running in drive, took it up to 2000 RPM and it
> didn't even try to move the car by the front wheels. Bad viscous coupler?

Try puting the handbrake on, power should then be sent to the front.

> Any cheaper sources than BMW?

Yeh - buy an Saburu - what a question!

> Thanks,
> --
> Stupendous Man,
> Defender of Freedom, Advocate of Liberty

As it is an old car, and AWD parts are expensive to buy and fit, perhaps the
previous owner has simply disengaged the front drive?

Old January 20th 08, 07:43 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dean Dark

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 22:09:13 -0800, "Stupendous Man" >
wrote:

>Hi.
>I went to look at an 89 325 iX for sale today. I never saw an AWD BMW when I
>worked on them 20 years ago in San Diego, but it snows here in Northern
>California.
>I was suspicious in testing when I could stop both front wheels idling in
>Drive on the rack, so tested further.
>Rear has a great limited slip diff, is front an open diff, or worn out?
>Rear end up on a jack, put running in drive, took it up to 2000 RPM and it
>didn't even try to move the car by the front wheels. Bad viscous coupler?
>Any cheaper sources than BMW?

There's a Yahoo 325iX group, on which it is well known that the VC can
fail at high mileages and the symptoms you are seeing are classic of
that having happened. It's not a cheap or simple fix but there are
good options. I suggest you search the 325iX Yahoo group archives for
more information than you ever wanted to know about the 325iX's VC.

I have a 325iX with close to 200K miles on it. It's a little beaten
up but mechanically it's all working fine. It really is a little
pearl of a car.
--
Dan.
Old January 20th 08, 10:08 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Stupendous Man

> Try puting the handbrake on, power should then be sent to the front.

On ice?

>> Any cheaper sources than BMW?

> Yeh - buy an Saburu - what a question!

Seriously, would you pay BMW 3 times as much for the exact same item as APW?
I havent found a source yet, but will be making some calls monday.

>There's a Yahoo 325iX group, on which it is well known that the VC can

fail at high mileages and the symptoms you are seeing are classic of
that having happened.
I have a 325iX with close to 200K miles on it. It's a little beaten
up but mechanically it's all working fine. It really is a little
pearl of a car.

Thanks, i will check it out. I bought a nice 85 325e cheap for my wife and
rebuilt the Zf4HP22 transmission. It's been a good car but someone ran a
light and totaled it. Lots of good donor parts there for the IX.
This IX has only 95K miles, but has the usual problems like window lifters,
sunroof binding, etc.

--
Stupendous Man,

Old January 21st 08, 01:48 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

"Stupendous Man" > wrote in message
>> Try puting the handbrake on, power should then be sent to the front.

> On ice?

On the ramp - you want to know if it works at all!

>>> Any cheaper sources than BMW?

>> Yeh - buy an Saburu - what a question!

> Seriously, would you pay BMW 3 times as much for the exact same item as
> APW?
> I havent found a source yet, but will be making some calls monday.

Depends what the bit is. Crucial parts of the brakes and steering probably
yes. Routine service parts and trim probably not.

> Thanks, i will check it out. I bought a nice 85 325e cheap for my wife and
> rebuilt the Zf4HP22 transmission. It's been a good car but someone ran a
> light and totaled it. Lots of good donor parts there for the IX.

A 1985 car with 200k, would be virtually worthless in the UK or EU, but the
market in the USA may be different. There is a bit of market in the UK for
recent high milage cars or mint older cars, but the combination doesn't sell
especially when there are big faults (like broken 4WD).

Typically the cost of any repair, or even parts, is more than the value of
old worn car and it will be scrapped. A search for 3 series with ~100kmiles
within 20 miles of me produces several examples between £500 - £1k ($1k -
$2k) in the ten to fifteen year old range. Double the outlay and the cars
on offer are less than ten years old and <100k miles.

Old January 21st 08, 03:00 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Not Me[_2_]

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:48:50 -0000, "R. Mark Clayton"
> wrote:

>A 1985 car with 200k, would be virtually worthless in the UK or EU, but the
>market in the USA may be different. There is a bit of market in the UK for
>recent high milage cars or mint older cars, but the combination doesn't sell
>especially when there are big faults (like broken 4WD).
>
>Typically the cost of any repair, or even parts, is more than the value of
>old worn car and it will be scrapped. A search for 3 series with ~100kmiles
>within 20 miles of me produces several examples between £500 - £1k ($1k -
>$2k) in the ten to fifteen year old range. Double the outlay and the cars
>on offer are less than ten years old and <100k miles.

There were only 3,000 or so 325iX's imported to the US. They have a
bit of a following, even a beat up and well knackered one will still
bring $2,000 or so. The engine block and some engine components, as
well as the transmission bits, are unique to the 325iX so parting one
out can be profitable as well.

viscous fan drive repair? Nate Nagel Technology 18 September 29th 06 02:49 AM
viscous clutch guber 4x4 0 August 4th 06 07:56 PM
NP249 Viscous Clutch TM[_1_] Jeep 4 July 20th 06 01:19 PM
subaru viscous coupling problem ownbyd 4x4 1 July 10th 06 06:02 PM
cleaning a viscous type air filter beerismygas Technology 2 December 19th 04 07:37 PM