VW powered generator

Old February 6th 09, 11:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Erik Dillenkofer[_2_]

Default VW powered generator

In 1980 I worked for the Univ of Florida at their research station in Ft
Pierce, Florida. We had a citrus tree sprayer (trailer drawn blower) that
was powered by ... a VW engine.

http://www.opera.com/mail/

Old February 7th 09, 08:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

We,d have a wide use for something down here in Aust. Upper half of East
Coast (Queeensland) is under flood water and bottom half ( New
SouthWales/Victoria) is dry and up to 120DegF!. Air Con in the south and
water pumping in the North.
John

Old February 7th 09, 01:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Take care down under!
I have just heard about the fires breaking out due to the record breaking
heatwave.

later,
One out of many daves

Old February 8th 09, 02:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

Thanks, We are about 50 miles north of Sydney and 10 miles as the crow
flies from nearest fire but down Victoria entire towns/villages have ceased
to exist. More than a suspicion that a lot of the fires have been
deliberately lit making it worse. Bizarre when you look at Queensland(
north) and its up to 3 metres underwater.!

Old February 8th 09, 03:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bob Hoover

On Feb 5, 8:42*am, wrote:
> I wonder how that would work out ?

Works good.
> Would it be able to run continously for days or possible weeks at a
> time ?

Yes.

In fact, setting up a motor-generator is the easy part. The hard part
is managing your FUEL SUPPLY. That probably sounds a bit odd but when
you become your own power company you're going to find that storing
fuel is the biggest headache. This is largely because gasoline
doesn't store very well. It is brewed up & sold with the intention of
being used within THREE MONTHS OR LESS. If you want to store it for
more than three months you'll have to add special stabilizers to it.

If you're serious about an auxiliary power system you'll probably end
up using PROPANE. It can be stored for years without any problems.
Kits to convert most engines -- including VW's -- are available. In
seriously cold climates you generally have two tanks of fuel, a small
one that is kept above freezing and your big tank, which may hold 2000
gallons or more. That's because propane has a lot less energy than
gasoline; you'll have to burn more of it to get the same amount of
electricity. Once the engine is started with the 'warm' tank, the
exhaust from the engine is fed to the insulated cover over the big
tank, raising the temperature. (Why? Because propane needs quite a
bit of heat to change from a liquid to a gas.) Also, you will have a
'vaporizor' on the engine. Most of these are designed for water-
cooled engines; water from the head is fed through the vaporizor.
With a VW you generally use the ENGINE OIL as your source of
vaporization heat.

But yes, using a VW as an auxiliary power plant is a pretty smart
idea. Unlike most other systems, it doesn't have anything to
FREEZE :-)

-Bob Hoover
Old February 8th 09, 04:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

Bob Hoover wrote:
> On Feb 5, 8:42 am, wrote:
>> I wonder how that would work out ?

> Works good.
>> Would it be able to run continously for days or possible weeks at a
>> time ?

> Yes.
>
> In fact, setting up a motor-generator is the easy part. The hard part
> is managing your FUEL SUPPLY. That probably sounds a bit odd but when
> you become your own power company you're going to find that storing
> fuel is the biggest headache. This is largely because gasoline
> doesn't store very well. It is brewed up & sold with the intention of
> being used within THREE MONTHS OR LESS. If you want to store it for
> more than three months you'll have to add special stabilizers to it.

That's american fuel. LOL.
Fuel in Europe stays good for MUCH longer. You can park a car for a year
or two, and come back and fire it up like nothing. Lawnmowers,
chainsaws, etc. usually hibernate for over 6 months, and nobody I know
ever replaces the fuel in the beginning of the season. They start right
up with whatever is in the tank.

American gasoline smells different too. And when it gets old, it gets
that varnish smell to it and turns yellow. That doesn't happen in Finland..

Jan
Old February 8th 09, 07:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_3_]

On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 16:12:30 +0100, Jan Andersson > wrote:

> Bob Hoover wrote:
>> On Feb 5, 8:42 am, wrote:
>>> I wonder how that would work out ?

>> Works good.
>>> Would it be able to run continously for days or possible weeks at a
>>> time ?

>> Yes.
>> In fact, setting up a motor-generator is the easy part. The hard part
>> is managing your FUEL SUPPLY. That probably sounds a bit odd but when
>> you become your own power company you're going to find that storing
>> fuel is the biggest headache. This is largely because gasoline
>> doesn't store very well. It is brewed up & sold with the intention of
>> being used within THREE MONTHS OR LESS. If you want to store it for
>> more than three months you'll have to add special stabilizers to it.

> That's american fuel. LOL.
> Fuel in Europe stays good for MUCH longer. You can park a car for a year
> or two, and come back and fire it up like nothing. Lawnmowers,
> chainsaws, etc. usually hibernate for over 6 months, and nobody I know
> ever replaces the fuel in the beginning of the season. They start right
> up with whatever is in the tank.
>
> American gasoline smells different too. And when it gets old, it gets
> that varnish smell to it and turns yellow. That doesn't happen in
> Finland..
>
> Jan

It has been like the Yank fuel in Norway for some time now. That being said, it last a lot longer than the fuel companies 3 month warranty.

J.

Old February 10th 15, 04:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Thursday, 5 February 2009 16:42:09 UTC, wrote:
> I wonder how that would work out ?
> Would it be able to run continously for days or possible weeks at a
> time ?
>
> After this latest ice storm I've decided I need some kind of generator
> that can power
> the entire farm for extend periods. We were able to power the house
> but not the
> well pump, electric fences and a few other things. We were ok but I
> missed that
> running water and a shower.
>
> The electric fences being on would have been a real good thing to but
> there were and
> still are so many trees down on the fence it was shorted out anyways.
>
> Randy

A Volkswagon 'beetle' engine generator set was recently bought by Drew Pritchard in the 'Salvage Hunters TV series (on Quest TV in UK) Drew bought it as he thought it was a genuine VW built bit of kit. Not so sure though, I think it was something 'made up' using a car engine. It was not running & from memory he paid about £300 for it. His wife was not taken with it when he got it back to his antiques emporium.
Old February 28th 15, 06:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Robert Smits

wrote:

> On Thursday, 5 February 2009 16:42:09 UTC, wrote:
>> I wonder how that would work out ?
>> Would it be able to run continously for days or possible weeks at a
>> time ?
>>
>> After this latest ice storm I've decided I need some kind of generator
>> that can power
>> the entire farm for extend periods. We were able to power the house
>> but not the
>> well pump, electric fences and a few other things. We were ok but I
>> missed that
>> running water and a shower.
>>
>> The electric fences being on would have been a real good thing to but
>> there were and
>> still are so many trees down on the fence it was shorted out anyways.
>>
>> Randy

> A Volkswagon 'beetle' engine generator set was recently bought by Drew
> Pritchard in the 'Salvage Hunters TV series (on Quest TV in UK) Drew
> bought it as he thought it was a genuine VW built bit of kit. Not so sure
> though, I think it was something 'made up' using a car engine. It was not
> running & from memory he paid about £300 for it. His wife was not taken
> with it when he got it back to his antiques emporium.

I remember when these were for sale...not made by Volkswagen, but they were
air-cooled of course, so you didn't have to worry about the coolant
freezing.

Street-Legal Jet Powered VW Beetle - "Ron Patrick 's Street-Legal Jet Powered VW Beetle.txt" 11.3 KBytes yEnc [email protected] Auto Photos 31 April 5th 08 09:01 PM
generator q. A Veteran VW air cooled 4 July 3rd 07 08:38 AM
Lucas c40 generator substitute (yes generator - ancient!) jj Technology 3 October 1st 06 04:07 PM
alternator vs generator Patriot Ford Mustang 21 September 24th 05 09:00 PM
generator stand David VW air cooled 3 October 18th 04 01:38 AM