Fram oil Filter Recall

Old February 13th 09, 10:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Fram oil Filter Recall

My wife is a manager at a Wal-Mart and they have pulled several fram
filters due to a new recall. She does not know which filter numbers
are the issue. I checked the WEB and did not fine anything at the
typical sights may be too new.

If I find out what filters are recalled I will pass it on.
Old February 13th 09, 11:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

coasty wrote:
> My wife is a manager at a Wal-Mart and they have pulled several fram
> filters due to a new recall. She does not know which filter numbers
> are the issue. I checked the WEB and did not fine anything at the
> typical sights may be too new.
>
> If I find out what filters are recalled I will pass it on.

Thanks.

I still think the best practice is to avoid Fram oil filters.

--
DougW

Old February 13th 09, 11:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Frank_v7.0

DougW wrote:
> coasty wrote:
>> My wife is a manager at a Wal-Mart and they have pulled several fram
>> filters due to a new recall. She does not know which filter numbers
>> are the issue. I checked the WEB and did not fine anything at the
>> typical sights may be too new.
>>
>> If I find out what filters are recalled I will pass it on.

> Thanks.
>
> I still think the best practice is to avoid Fram oil filters.

I let WalMart put the Mobil One in, but I bring my own filter (NAPA
Gold). They give a $2.09 credit for supplying my own filter :-) They use
Fram filters :-0

--
FRH
Old February 14th 09, 02:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
AJ[_8_]

Frank_v7.0 wrote:

> I let WalMart put the Mobil One in, but I bring my own filter (NAPA
> Gold). They give a $2.09 credit for supplying my own filter :-) They use
> Fram filters :-0

Just tried that the other day .. wanted to supply my own filter and
buy their synthetic oil. I was told that they no longer do "customer
provided" oil changes. I said "oh well " and left. I will not use
Fram oil filters!

--
Jim
Old February 14th 09, 04:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jo Baggs[_2_]

"DougW" > wrote in message
> coasty wrote:
>> My wife is a manager at a Wal-Mart and they have pulled several fram
>> filters due to a new recall. She does not know which filter numbers
>> are the issue. I checked the WEB and did not fine anything at the
>> typical sights may be too new.
>>
>> If I find out what filters are recalled I will pass it on.

> Thanks.
>
> I still think the best practice is to avoid Fram oil filters.
>
> --
> DougW

I guess I've been living under a rock. I thought Fram filters were OK.
That's what I've been using for 10 years now. Anyone care to elaborate on
why Fram filters are bad?

Old February 14th 09, 06:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
ULB

On Feb 13, 3:59*pm, "Frank_v7.0" > wrote:
> DougW wrote:
> > coasty wrote:
> >> My wife is a manager at a Wal-Mart and they have pulled several fram
> >> filters due to a new recall. *She does not know which filter numbers
> >> are the issue. *I checked the WEB and did not fine anything at the
> >> typical sights may be too new.

> >> If I find out what filters are recalled I will pass it on.

> > Thanks.

> > I still think the best practice is to avoid Fram oil filters.

> I let WalMart put the Mobil One in, but I bring my own filter (NAPA
> Gold). They give a $2.09 credit for supplying my own filter :-) They use
> Fram filters :-0
>
> --
> FRH

Oh boy. A few years ago (well ****, 4 years ago), I got married to my
wonderful wife (truth be told 13 yars together, oh uh). She had a
dodge neon 2000 (mine now for commute), It had around 65k on it. As
soon as I started driving it, I noticed nasty "self preserving frame
liquid". In other words the under side was coated in oil. F... Look
at the oil pan, looks great other than the oil dripping everywhere and
coating on under carriage. Apparently some yahoo or grease monkey
stripped the oil pan bolt. Nice. Try tapping it, not too smart, its
still jacked (praying a sliver doesn't hit crank bearing). New oil
pan - 350 USD. Nice. Get under the b!tch, JFC. You know how hard it
is to get to that SOB dropped? <insert nastiest comments ever heard
from my mouth here>

Long story short, never ever ever (not that I would) go to walmart or
whomever does 12.99 oil changes. Lets see, aluminum pan, steel oil
drain bolt, 6.00 an hour gent who has no business being under a car
tries to drain oil, ahh, leave the rest to
you................................ BTW, no offfense if you do make 6
bux an hour, just dont work on my cars.

Take care,

Still venting after years. LOL.
Old February 14th 09, 08:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Jo Baggs wrote:
> "DougW" ...
>> coasty wrote:
>>> My wife is a manager at a Wal-Mart and they have pulled several fram
>>> filters due to a new recall. She does not know which filter numbers
>>> are the issue. I checked the WEB and did not fine anything at the
>>> typical sights may be too new.
>>>
>>> If I find out what filters are recalled I will pass it on.

>> Thanks.
>>
>> I still think the best practice is to avoid Fram oil filters.
>>
>> --
>> DougW

> I guess I've been living under a rock. I thought Fram filters were
> OK. That's what I've been using for 10 years now. Anyone care to
> elaborate on why Fram filters are bad?

Fram has had some serious quality issues. High among them is bypassing
the filter because of weak bypass spring. This can lead to premature
bearing failure. google for "fram filter failure" Many vehicles, and
I do mean many, have all sorts of valve clatter and it's cured by replaceing
the fram filter with a wix or other brand.

--
DougW

Old February 14th 09, 09:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Socks

I've been using Fram oil filters for 33 years in an Austin Mini. In
that car the engine and gearbox uses the same oil. With over 175000
original kilometers on the original non rebuilt engine. Fram filters
have never been a problem!

I've read tests on the www about how bad they are, and how good others
are but at the end of the day there is nothing to substantiate "their
claims" Just more hot air.

Old February 14th 09, 09:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Socks

I've been using Fram oil filters for 33 years in an assortment of
vehicles. One, an Austin Mini which uses standard motor oil to
lubricate both the engine and gearbox. A 1975 Ford E350 Econo line van
with a 460 c.i.d. engine pulling a 30 foot boat and towing numerous
vehicles on a flat deck trailer. That engine has around 265,000 miles
on it and has always used Fram filters. So have all my other cars. Two
Dodge Colts one had 295000 km and the other 329,000 km on it. Non of
them ever been rebuilt and those too have only ever had Fram.

I've read tests on the www about how bad they are, and how good others
are but at the end of the day there is nothing to substantiate "their
claims" Just more hot air and photo chop photographs.

Fram Oil Filters? Nino NoSpam Honda 19 July 4th 06 05:46 AM
Fram C3P depth filter 2 microns filtration [email protected] Jeep 5 October 19th 05 01:08 AM
FRAM oil filter Norm Technology 44 September 7th 05 09:53 PM
Coolant filter on eBay, Fram PR3304 Alan Petrillo 4x4 0 April 5th 05 02:52 AM
Fram air filter for TJ-poor mpg matt Jeep 23 February 4th 05 01:21 PM