engine stand placement

Old April 17th 07, 11:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
peter

Default engine stand placement

Hi,
my long awaited short block got home yesterday and looking at the
manual, it says to mount the engine on its left side at the ps
bracket...that seems a bit odd as I have always seen engines mounted via
the back end. does it matter? it seems better to go for the back
end...also what size bolts are needed?

tia,
peter
Old April 24th 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
peter

John wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 10:42:37 GMT, peter > wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> my long awaited short block got home yesterday and looking at the
>> manual, it says to mount the engine on its left side at the ps
>> bracket...that seems a bit odd as I have always seen engines mounted via
>> the back end. does it matter? it seems better to go for the back
>> end...also what size bolts are needed?

> The reason they say to mount it from the side is probably so you can get
> at the rear of the crankshaft for seal installation or flywheel and clutch
> mounting. I always mount my engines on the engine stand from the rear
> and then hang them on the engine hoist when I need to work on the back.
> Use the same size bolts (diameter wise) as are on the engine. I always
> buy other bolts to hold the engine instead of using the ones that are part
> of the engine assembly. I do this mainly because the mounting brackets
> on the engine stand are usually made in such a way that the stock engine
> bolts would be too short.

thanks john

Repost - 2004 pictures: 1966 426 Street Hemi Engine on Engine Stand Front View (WPC Museum) N.jpg 387367 bytes HEMI-Powered @ [email protected] Auto Photos 0 March 21st 07 04:30 PM
Engine stand Steve Lawman VW air cooled 4 October 9th 06 01:18 AM
Building a VW engine-start-stand [email protected] VW air cooled 13 August 29th 06 04:53 PM
engine stand tricky VW air cooled 26 April 23rd 05 11:39 PM
Engine test stand? Mark Ford Mustang 3 January 3rd 05 08:08 PM