Why dont Jeeps get better gas milage?

Old January 31st 09, 01:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Why dont Jeeps get better gas milage?

I would love to have a CJ Jeep but just cant go back to
sub 20 mpg efficiency

Seems to me it would be easy to make them get better
gas mileage

What is the holdup?

Advice?
Old January 31st 09, 05:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

me wrote from a troll saturated privacy service:

> I would love to have a CJ Jeep but just cant go back to
> sub 20 mpg efficiency
>
> Seems to me it would be easy to make them get better
> gas mileage
>
> What is the holdup?
>
> Advice?

Who says a CJ can't get 20+ mpg? It's all in the engine
tuning and driving style.

Old Jeeps with the Nutter Bypass routinely get better than
20 MPG and even pass California emissions for newer vehicles.

Even my ZJ gets better than 20 and it's blown.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://revbeergoggles.com
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Old January 31st 09, 03:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jo Baggs[_2_]

"DougW" > wrote in message
> me wrote from a troll saturated privacy service:
>
>> I would love to have a CJ Jeep but just cant go back to
>> sub 20 mpg efficiency
>>
>> Seems to me it would be easy to make them get better
>> gas mileage
>>
>> What is the holdup?
>>
>> Advice?

> Who says a CJ can't get 20+ mpg? It's all in the engine
> tuning and driving style.
>
> Old Jeeps with the Nutter Bypass routinely get better than
> 20 MPG and even pass California emissions for newer vehicles.
>
> Even my ZJ gets better than 20 and it's blown.
>

> --
> -- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://revbeergoggles.com
> HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks
> Gibson Exhaust - rear DCpower - custom gauge install - Stillen Rotors
> Banks Header - and BEER, in the fridge!

Doug,
how did you get 20+ on your CJ? I doubt I'll ever see that kind of
efficiency on my CJ-7. I have a SBC with 33" Bf Goodrich tires. I'm lucky
if I get 9MPG. Then again, it's not my commuter car, it's my fun car.

Old January 31st 09, 03:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

No hold up at all, go for it!

I drive an 86 CJ7 with the 258 ci straight six, basically stock for
engine and tune a bunch others for my friends and we all get over 20 mpg
or 11L/100KM highway.

Stock the CJ's were rated for 21 mpg, far better than the new fuel
injected gas pigs. We wheel alongside folks with the newer TJ's and
they are always crying the blues when we use about $15.00 "less" than
they do for the same run. The new fuel injection is nice because you
don't have to tune them as often, but you pay for the convenience with
lower mileage.

Mike
'New' frame in the works for '09. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build
Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com

Old January 31st 09, 03:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Tomes[_2_]

Besides what the other folks have noted, the Jeeps have the aerodynamics of
a brick.
Tomes

Old January 31st 09, 04:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"DougW" > wrote:

>Who says a CJ can't get 20+ mpg? It's all in the engine
>tuning and driving style.

ok so could they get 30 mpg?
Old January 31st 09, 04:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"Tomes" > wrote:

>Besides what the other folks have noted, the Jeeps have the aerodynamics of
>a brick.

Cant they smooth the aerodynamics down some so that
better gas mileage would result?

I'm just proposing some small changes that could really
make them more efficient
Old January 31st 09, 04:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Jo Baggs wrote:

> Doug,
> how did you get 20+ on your CJ?

ZJ.

> I doubt I'll ever see that kind of
> efficiency on my CJ-7. I have a SBC with 33" Bf Goodrich tires. I'm
> lucky if I get 9MPG. Then again, it's not my commuter car, it's my
> fun car.

Only way you could get better milage is with more gears.

I've adjusted the idle down, switched to synthetic, run a bit higher
pressure in the tires and cut out any unecissary idling for city
driving. On the highway I get about 22-24MPG providing it's not into
a headwind. I've gotten as high as 29MPG but that was with a nice
tailwind.

One thing I noticed is when driving at certain speeds the ZJ likes to
stay in a lower gear. Light tap on the gas will drop the RPMs down
and save quite a bit.

For one month I did a little experiment. There are two lights that if
I miss them will take about 2-3 minutes to cycle. Just turning the
Jeep off gave me another 3-4 MPG just by not idling. Did a bit of thought
on cutting out injectors when at idle. Never did go past the thinking
stage.

--
DougW

advice, jeeps, used [email protected] Jeep 8 July 18th 07 04:38 PM
6x6 jeeps molki Jeep 1 November 12th 06 03:06 PM
jeeps with big tires Troy Jeep 12 October 6th 06 04:19 AM
Jeeps & Geocaching Kate[_3_] Jeep 0 August 3rd 06 04:04 PM
a must 4 jeeps IsellJeeps Jeep 25 April 22nd 05 03:00 AM