Root cause insight into the common BMW blower motor resistorfailures

Old March 28th 13, 01:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw
Bimmer Owner

Default Root cause insight into the common BMW blower motor resistorfailures

On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 19:16:06 -0500, Jamie wrote:

> I can only assume the linear module at least uses a feed back to
> maintain output voltage, if it is so cheap that it does not even
> do that, then maybe they are trying to emulate a real resistor or
> they are just ****ty engineers or tightwads.

Most of the people on the BMW forums think it's one of these.

Old March 28th 13, 01:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw,alt.home.repair
Bimmer Owner

On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 19:52:26 -0500, Jamie wrote:

> Most likely thermo stress cracks due to the potting restraint.

Other people have suggested this also.

Some say the potting is what is causing the stress cracks.

Re-insert without potting, is the "said to be" solution.

One question:
If the FSU works without potting, what was the purpose of the potting?

Old March 28th 13, 01:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw
Bimmer Owner

On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 18:55:16 -0500, Jamie wrote:

>> Fluke T5-600, SKU: 133038, $109.95

> It only does AC amps..

Good catch!

Old March 28th 13, 01:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw,alt.home.repair
Bimmer Owner

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 09:16:55 -0400, Scott Dorsey wrote:

> Can you chip off enough of the araldite from the cover to be able to
> read the numbers on it?

I will try this morning. (I was away on a trip for the past two days).

PS: Had to look up araldite:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araldite

Old March 28th 13, 01:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw,alt.home.repair
Bimmer Owner

On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 15:51:52 -0400, tm wrote:

> Does the red jumper connect to the 40 amp fuse?

The red jumper was a hack added by one user to fix the solder cracks,
I think.

Old March 28th 13, 01:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw,alt.home.repair
Bimmer Owner

On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 15:51:52 -0400, tm wrote:

> In your other pictures, the spring clips just hold the transistors against
> the heat sink.

This implies two transistors (although I only found one).

I will dig through the mess again - but I think I was too fat thumbed
when I cut it open, and may have destroyed the evidence.

I do have a second FSU (since two failed on me) though ... but I want
to try to FIX that one (instead of destroying it).

Old March 28th 13, 01:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw
Bimmer Owner

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 08:35:09 -0700, jim beam wrote:

>> Bomarc has reverse engineered a lot of automotive modules:
>>http://www.bomarc.org/basement/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6&sid=8ee707756ef37b24ff5aa633 f1b4548a>

> that at least is vaguely useful

I wasn't sure how to cross reference using that list.
For example, it had only one BMW entry (camera module); and it did not have
GKR or Sitronic or Valeo brands; nor the keywords FSU, nor FSR; but it did
have things titled "blower motor controller), e.g.,

FORD F50F-19E624 heater blower motor controller ('97 L. CONNIE) 1

Old March 28th 13, 01:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw
Bimmer Owner

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 18:37:20 -0700, jim beam wrote:

> i don't know who you think you're talking to, but i have consistently
> advocated /not/ deconstructing this unit. it's not worth it when cost
> of replacement isn't that high or you can build an alternate controller
> that will be more reliable.

Regarding cost, it seems we can get aftermarket parts for about $100;
and the part at the BMW dealership cost about $175.

Regarding repair, some have intimated that unpotting and resoldering
is a solution.

If that's true, then that might be a viable "fix".

However, I must ask: If it works without potting, and especially if the
potting is what's causing the problem, then what was the original purpose
of the potting in the first place?

Old March 28th 13, 01:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw
jim beam[_4_]

On 03/28/2013 06:28 AM, Bimmer Owner wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 08:35:09 -0700, jim beam wrote:
>
>>> Bomarc has reverse engineered a lot of automotive modules:
>>> http://www.bomarc.org/basement/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6&sid=8ee707756ef37b24ff5aa633 f1b4548a>

>> that at least is vaguely useful

> I wasn't sure how to cross reference using that list.
> For example, it had only one BMW entry (camera module); and it did not have
> GKR or Sitronic or Valeo brands; nor the keywords FSU, nor FSR; but it did
> have things titled "blower motor controller), e.g.,
>
> FORD F50F-19E624 heater blower motor controller ('97 L. CONNIE) 1

maybe it's similar, maybe it's not. the fact that each of the different
unit manufacturers has different internals and that they've changed over
time doesn't help you.

--
fact check required
Old March 28th 13, 01:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw
jim beam[_4_]

> jim beam wrote:
>>
>> i don't know who you think you're talking to, but i have consistently
>> advocated /not/ deconstructing this unit.

> Apparently I'm talking to a blowhard troll.
>

>> it's not worth it when cost
>> of replacement isn't that high or you can build an alternate controller
>> that will be more reliable.

> Ass. The first step in designing a replacement is to understand what
> it is supposed to do, and how the original performed that function.

no???? really? are you /sure/ about that??? or doesn't sarcasm work
for you???

>>> You can't even crawl.

>> at least i can follow a thread without being a crotchety old fart.

> Show us.

no, you're doing that.

>>> Then tell them to reverse engineer it for you. Or can't they 'walk
>>> the talk', either?

>> i don't /want/ to reverse engineer it any more than i want to repair
>> broken light bulbs. you were the one bragging about how easy it was. i
>> said it wasn't. and when it comes down to walking the talk, you won't.

> Send me some defective modules, or quit trolling.

they're not my modules [again, you're not following the thread] and i
wouldn't replace them - i'd pwm the motor instead.

--
fact check required