LH Steering Problem

Old January 4th 05, 09:01 PM
Zentraleinheit

Default LH Steering Problem

Since it has been 2 months since my last problem with my 96 Eagle Vision
TSI, I should have known that I was due for a new one :-)

Today when I tried to steer to the left it was very hard. I had to put both
hands on the steering wheel and almost drag it to make even a small left
turn.

Yet I had no problem turning right (that at lease should make the
Republicans happy!).

I got the car to a repair shop where I was told that the rack & pinion has
broken down (I get a more detailed report tomorrow).

My question(s) as follows a

1 In this "normal" for a 9 year old car with 62000 miles?

2: How much am I looking at to fix it?

3: Can I put it off (and yes I know the danger of not being able to go where
one wants to) for a while? And if so am I looking at more damage (money
spent) down the line?

Old January 4th 05, 11:55 PM
Bill D

"Zentraleinheit" > wrote in message
> Since it has been 2 months since my last problem with my 96 Eagle Vision
> TSI, I should have known that I was due for a new one :-)
>
> Today when I tried to steer to the left it was very hard. I had to put
> both
> hands on the steering wheel and almost drag it to make even a small left
> turn.
>
> Yet I had no problem turning right (that at lease should make the
> Republicans happy!).
>
> I got the car to a repair shop where I was told that the rack & pinion has
> broken down (I get a more detailed report tomorrow).
>
> My question(s) as follows a
>
> 1 In this "normal" for a 9 year old car with 62000 miles?

Yes, mine failed in my '95 Eagle Vision at 60K miles.

> 2: How much am I looking at to fix it?

I bought a rebuilt unit at Pep Boys for about $230 and had them install it
for about $180. A new unit costs about $900.

> 3: Can I put it off (and yes I know the danger of not being able to go
> where
> one wants to) for a while? And if so am I looking at more damage (money
> spent) down the line?

If you delay, just don't drive the car. How much is your life worth?

Old January 4th 05, 11:55 PM
Bill D

Old January 5th 05, 12:15 AM
Bill D

Read this: http://www.daimlerchryslervehicleproblems.com/

Old January 5th 05, 12:15 AM
Bill D

Old January 5th 05, 01:18 AM
maxpower

Not a pump problem, Internal rack failure, A pump wont cause good pressure
turning one way and bad the other.
"Nomen Nescio" > wrote in message
> Power steering has fallen into disfavor with me.
>
> Eons ago, the heaviest trucks were steered "manually". All that's needed
> is a recirculating ball gear with enough ratios to do the job.
>
> There is nothing intrinsically wrong with power steering if its done

right;

Old January 5th 05, 01:18 AM
maxpower

Old January 5th 05, 04:53 AM
John_F

The problem is the teflon valve seals in the rack and pinion steering
gear have wallowed out the aluminum case.
Replace the rack unit because it gets worse with cold weather and may
suddenly not work when you come to a turn at any time.

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 16:01:12 -0500, "Zentraleinheit"

Old January 5th 05, 04:53 AM
John_F

Old January 5th 05, 05:31 PM
Steve

Zentraleinheit wrote:

> Since it has been 2 months since my last problem with my 96 Eagle Vision
> TSI, I should have known that I was due for a new one :-)
>
> Today when I tried to steer to the left it was very hard. I had to put both
> hands on the steering wheel and almost drag it to make even a small left
> turn.

Steering rack. If you're handy, you can replace it yourself. They run
about $200. Not a huge job, although inconvenient because of where the
rack is located on FWD vehicles.

Steering racks seem to be notoriously problem-prone, which is one reason
I prefer recirculating-ball steering over rack-and-pinion. But I can't
think of any car sold that DOESN'T have R&P steering these days.

That said, my wife's 2003 LH car steering rack has lasted over 200k
miles without a problem. But I know I'm a statistical outlier and not
the norm on this one.