96 Civic diagnosed with bad rod--then changed to bad clutch??

Old October 15th 06, 01:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
planetx

Default 96 Civic diagnosed with bad rod--then changed to bad clutch??

I have a 96 Civic manual with 126k on it. For nearly a year the
engine(or what I thought was the engine) would make a clunky noise when
driving mainly uphill at a lower rpm. I always go to the dealer for
service as I am always a bit unsure how to find a trustworthy mechanic.
The dealer the first several times just said to put high octane in. I
didnt think that was it but did it anyway.

About 3 months I went back for a service check and complained again
about the noise. So a shop foreman drives it and said it is my cv
joints I need a new axle. So I schedule an appt and bring it in and
instead of a new axle they said I need a new engine because I have a
loose connector rod. I dont remember if they said the tech just heard
it or ran a diagnostic. I told the service guy I didnt believe and was
****ed that for 5months I was simply told to put high-octane,,then I am
told I need a new axle,,and now I am told I need a new ****ing engine.
I also mentioned that 126k is low mileage and that my car has *always*
been serviced with them.

So I went back last week(you would think I would learn to find a
mechanic by now) to get my oil changed.

So this time they came back and said definitely not an engine
problem,,but loose clutch bearings. My clutch seems fine to me so they
said the noise should not hurt anything and just wait till your clutch
goes out--I am still on the original clutch.

So does any of this sound plausible?? Could it really be the clutch??

Also if anyone knows a good mechanic in Atlanta I open. I have been
going to Ed Voyles honda getting all this advice. Thanks.

Old October 15th 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Earle Horton[_7_]

I would avoid any mechanic who invoked parts that don't exist, like "clutch
bearings". I take it you still have the "clunky noise"? Did the high
octane gas do any good?

Why not take the vehicle to a Honda dealer service department for an
opinion? If they have any brains, they should be able to differentiate
between the possible conditions you mentioned. Maybe you have a bad engine
mount. That wouldn't be too expensive to fix.

Earle

ps.com...

Old October 15th 06, 03:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
'Curly Q. Links'

Earle Horton wrote:

> I would avoid any mechanic who invoked parts that don't exist, like "clutch
> bearings". I take it you still have the "clunky noise"? Did the high
> octane gas do any good?
>
> Why not take the vehicle to a Honda dealer service department for an
> opinion? If they have any brains, they should be able to differentiate
> between the possible conditions you mentioned. Maybe you have a bad engine
> mount. That wouldn't be too expensive to fix.
>
> Earle

--------------------------------------

And in the meantime, use a lower gear (higher RPM) while climbing.
Hondas don't mind if you wind them up to redline now and then (read the
Owner's manual about speed / gear limits).

'Curly'
Old October 15th 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Gordon McGrew[_1_]

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 20:02:07 -0600, "Earle Horton"
> wrote:

>I would avoid any mechanic who invoked parts that don't exist, like "clutch
>bearings". I take it you still have the "clunky noise"? Did the high
>octane gas do any good?
>
>Why not take the vehicle to a Honda dealer service department for an
>opinion? If they have any brains, they should be able to differentiate
>between the possible conditions you mentioned. Maybe you have a bad engine
>mount. That wouldn't be too expensive to fix.
>
>Earle

Hey Earle, did you see the part where he said it was a dealer telling
him all this.

An engine mount is a good suggestion. The dealer could be right on
the axil or clutch. The connecting rod theory is pretty bogus. It is
hard to really diagnose from a description.

I assume the mechanic has heard the noise. Obviously they cannot find
anything clearly wrong by inspection (at least not without major
disassembly.) I would try another mechanic, preferably an independent
specializing in Hondas. If he can't find anything obviously wrong,
and the problem isn't too objectionable to the OP, I would concur with
driving it until it gets worse.

ups.com...

Old October 15th 06, 03:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

planetx wrote:
> I have a 96 Civic manual with 126k on it. For nearly a year the
> engine(or what I thought was the engine) would make a clunky noise when
> driving mainly uphill at a lower rpm. I always go to the dealer for
> service as I am always a bit unsure how to find a trustworthy mechanic.
> The dealer the first several times just said to put high octane in. I
> didnt think that was it but did it anyway.
>
> About 3 months I went back for a service check and complained again
> about the noise. So a shop foreman drives it and said it is my cv
> joints I need a new axle. So I schedule an appt and bring it in and
> instead of a new axle they said I need a new engine because I have a
> loose connector rod. I dont remember if they said the tech just heard
> it or ran a diagnostic. I told the service guy I didnt believe and was
> ****ed that for 5months I was simply told to put high-octane,,then I am
> told I need a new axle,,and now I am told I need a new ****ing engine.
> I also mentioned that 126k is low mileage and that my car has *always*
> been serviced with them.
>
> So I went back last week(you would think I would learn to find a
> mechanic by now) to get my oil changed.
>
> So this time they came back and said definitely not an engine
> problem,,but loose clutch bearings. My clutch seems fine to me so they
> said the noise should not hurt anything and just wait till your clutch
> goes out--I am still on the original clutch.
>
> So does any of this sound plausible?? Could it really be the clutch??
>
> Also if anyone knows a good mechanic in Atlanta I open. I have been
> going to Ed Voyles honda getting all this advice. Thanks.

bottom line, the people you were seeing before are either incompetent or
dishonest. find a quality independent and have it inspected by them.
maybe you'll find one on the cartalk.com site?
Old October 15th 06, 04:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Earle Horton[_7_]

"Gordon McGrew" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 20:02:07 -0600, "Earle Horton"
> > wrote:
>
> >I would avoid any mechanic who invoked parts that don't exist, like
> >"clutch bearings". I take it you still have the "clunky noise"? Did the
> >high octane gas do any good?
> >
> >Why not take the vehicle to a Honda dealer service department for an
> >opinion? If they have any brains, they should be able to differentiate
> >between the possible conditions you mentioned. Maybe you have a
> >bad engine mount. That wouldn't be too expensive to fix.
> >
> >Earle

> Hey Earle, did you see the part where he said it was a dealer telling
> him all this.

I guess he should find another dealer then. Or an independent with a good
reputation. There have to be lots of them in the Atlanta area. (The Honda
dealer where I live is not too bad. They haven't tried to sell us any
"clutch bearings" yet.)

Earle

Old October 16th 06, 01:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
ecarecar

Can you be a little more specific about the noise?
Does it make the noise in more than one gear?
Can you locate from where the noise is coming?
How long does the noise last?
Does it occur at "lower rpm" in any gear?

Old October 16th 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
planetx

Hi,,well it *never* happens at high speed on the interstate,,,either in
4th or 5th on the interstate. It seems to be more prevalent in low rpm
up hils---speed does not seem to matter. The noise will maybe last 15
seconds. It is a clunking noise spaced about a second a part. It kind
of sounds like it is coming from under the engine--but hard to tell.

I always went to the honda dealer because while I figured they were
more expensive than a mechanic,,,I assume they would be well-versed in
hondas. But as I said my diagnosis went from: high-octane to a new axel
to a whole new engine to now loose clutch bearings.

My car is in great shape for a 96 civic and I do not want to get rid of
it---but if my engine is hosed up and I do indeed need a new one well I
have to re-think that. Thanks for any advice! And thanks everyone else
for responding. I am in the process of trying to find a good
independent honda mechanic by word of mouth.