So what has happend to Racing Legneds

Old April 2nd 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default So what has happend to Racing Legneds

So.. as my post asks.. what has happend to this racing game !!

It look so promising...

Doesn't anybody have a clue... even if some one lives next to these guys..
go tap on there door and ask them some question....

Or do I have to find out for myself...

Or is it like the people behind the gizmoid..?

Emma

Old April 2nd 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Emma Ward" <senninha1@ sad.btinternet.com> wrote in
:

> So.. as my post asks.. what has happend to this racing game !!
>
> It look so promising...
>
> Doesn't anybody have a clue... even if some one lives next to these
> guys.. go tap on there door and ask them some question....
>
> Or do I have to find out for myself...
>
> Or is it like the people behind the gizmoid..?
>
> Emma

The story behind Racing Legends is about as murky as any real legend.
There are reputable guys, like Gregor Veeble who was a regular poster here
whenever physics subjects popped up, who have been working with the West
brothers, who swear it is still a viable project.
But there are sooooo many here who's hopes have been repeatedly dashed
that even if the Box was on a store shelf, I don't think they would
beleive it was actually for sale.
Suffice it to say, if we are going to ever really appreciate Racing
Legends, then most likely it will be with one of those new 10,000 US
Dollar Monster/Mega systems with 4 SLI video cards and the physics
accelerator. (Dell is advertising just such a system)
Old April 2nd 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Dave Henrie wrote:

> But there are sooooo many here who's hopes have been repeatedly dashed
> that even if the Box was on a store shelf, I don't think they would
> beleive it was actually for sale.

For me it just ranks as another IT project that has taken significantly
longer then expected. Governments are notoriously bad at estimating IT
project duration - the UK National firearms register still hasn't gone
live 9 years after it was proposed having been recommended after the
Dunblane tragedy in 1996, and was passed into law in the 1997 Firearms
(Amendment) Act. The project has seen multiple go live dates pushed back.

That is a project under with significant public interest and resource
which even hardcore sim racers may concede is of greater priority than
Racing Legends.

For fellow sim racing enthusiasts to have been over optimistic in
estimating delivery of what they believe will be a ground breaking sim
is hardly a cause for the drama that has enfolded IMHO

Cheers
Tony
Old April 3rd 06, 12:04 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

>"Tony Rickard" > wrote
> For me it just ranks as another IT project that has taken significantly
> longer then expected.

Exactly, a R&D venture that went beyond their business plans. Happens
everyday, everywhere. Meanwhile they had to, you know, pay their bills.
One of the brothers worked on that RC sim, etc... Eventually I doubt we'll
ever see the results, but it was a nice idea.

--
-- François Ménard <ymenard>
-- This announcement is brought to you by the Shimago-Dominguez

Old April 3rd 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Maybe he's just busy and knows he'd be hammered with RL
questions/potshots if he popped his head up.

Kendt

Old April 3rd 06, 01:46 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> I feel the two areas that will change our perceptions the most will be
> new physics engines that take advantage of the physics accelerator boards
> and hopefully someday that Force Feedback patent will lapse and other
> methods of FF can be explored.
>
> dave henrie

Force feedback patent?
Whats that all about?
dan

Old April 3rd 06, 01:59 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Dan Leach" > wrote in

> Force feedback patent?
> Whats that all about?
> dan

I cannot recall the details. I think a company named iMotion had one of
the original FF modules. They somehow got an overly broad patent that
prevents any further improvements or changes to FF since, according to
them, any changes would impinge on their patent. It's screwy.
Maybe someone else can fill in the details.

dh
Old April 4th 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Dave Henrie > writes:

> "Dan Leach" > wrote in
>

> > Force feedback patent?
> > Whats that all about?
> > dan

> I cannot recall the details. I think a company named iMotion had one of
> the original FF modules. They somehow got an overly broad patent that
> prevents any further improvements or changes to FF since, according to
> them, any changes would impinge on their patent. It's screwy.
> Maybe someone else can fill in the details.

Hey, Microsoft has patented the double click! If there's anyone left who
doesn't hink the present patent system is totally corrupt, please raise
a hand!

/Andreas

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Offline racing Big Blue Racing Simulators 0 November 6th 05 03:42 AM
Flashpoint Racing Series begins tonight! [email protected] Simulators 34 February 18th 05 01:37 AM
GTP Lives!!! Steve Smith Simulators 20 February 14th 05 04:59 AM
Mustang Returns to Sports Car Racing Grover C. McCoury III Ford Mustang 0 January 29th 05 05:39 PM
Tough to Enter the Racing Sim Scene Chuck Simulators 14 November 10th 04 05:27 AM