Noise in Cold

Old March 4th 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Noise in Cold

Miata '91

Only when its cold, I get a rattling noise under the hood. I think it might
be the lift bar that props up the hood being loose in the holder when the
hood is down. Any others have this noise?

Old March 4th 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Gary wrote:
> Miata '91
>
> Only when its cold, I get a rattling noise under the hood. I think it might
> be the lift bar that props up the hood being loose in the holder when the
> hood is down. Any others have this noise?

You could tie the hood prop down and see if it stops the noise, The hood
latch mechanism is known for squeaking when it has not been greased, so
I guess it could rattle as well.

Here is a page on tracking down noises on the miata. There is one
section specifically on hood noises.

http://miata.net/garage/noises.html

You might also want to check things like your exhaust manifold & heat
shield bolts that may be loose and expand as they heat up.
Same with radiator mounting bolts, etc., almost anything can start
making noises in there and they can be very hard to locate, especially
when the noise goes away as the car heats up.

Good luck,

Pat
Old March 5th 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Gary wrote:

> Miata '91
>
> Only when its cold, I get a rattling noise under the hood. I think it might
> be the lift bar that props up the hood being loose in the holder when the
> hood is down. Any others have this noise?

Everything rattles in my car when it's cold. I think it's par for the
course.
Old March 6th 06, 02:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article <440b3317.0@entanet>,
Zog The Undeniable > wrote:

> Everything rattles in my car when it's cold.

I can't hear the car. My teeth are rattling too hard.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis