68 vette--mildew

Old February 22nd 06, 09:25 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default 68 vette--mildew

A friend has a 68, stored in his brothers garage under a cover. Opened up
the car and everything is a wonderful color of mold.

It has cloth seat covers, anyone know of a way to get rid of it without any
more damage.

Ken

Old February 22nd 06, 10:30 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 13:25:05 -0800, "Ken King" >
wrote:

>A friend has a 68, stored in his brothers garage under a cover. Opened up
>the car and everything is a wonderful color of mold.
>
>It has cloth seat covers, anyone know of a way to get rid of it without any
>more damage.
>
>Ken

My 68' Camaro has a similar problem. I cleaned everything with a
chlorine solution and it was good for a while. The mold came back
after a though. Now I'm resigned to just replace my houndstooth seat
covers and buns. My seats are part cloth and part vinyl and I don't
see any other way to get rid of the mold. It's a good thing I'm just
putting my car back together or I'd be pretty upset about the extra
cash I have to lay out for the replacement Interior pieces.

...Ron
--
68'RS Camaro
88'Formula
Old February 23rd 06, 02:53 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

you might try an ozonator. the ozone should kill stuff at a high enough
concentration, although it can also damage some plastics.

Old February 23rd 06, 06:55 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

http://www.topoftheline.com/32ozmicroban.html

Or try this.

ETar
('77 Stingray)

Old February 23rd 06, 07:26 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

An acqaintance used it to clean the smell out of his car carpets after
some water damage.
He was all praise for it. Never used it myself.
Don't think I can get any anyways, they don't ship to california.

Old February 23rd 06, 08:50 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

If I was faced with having to replace seat upholstery, I would remove the
fabric and run them through your clothes washer with reg laundry detergent.
I have cleaned seats this way and they have come out fabulously. This won't
deal with the foam and in all probability the mould spores are living in the
foam as well. If they're not too expensive you could just replace them.
Alternately you could soak them in some kind of tub with a diluted bleach
solution for a while them rinse them several times in clear water to ensure
you get all the bleach out so that it doesn't leach into the upholstery or
damage the foam. Bleach will definately kill the mould but it may also
damage the foam, but it may be a worthwhile risk.
Steve g.