Puncture Repair on 19" 's?

Old October 26th 05, 07:45 PM
Daz

Default Puncture Repair on 19" 's?

Hi,

I've just found a nail in the rear tyre on my 2004 M3 fitted with 19"
wheels, pressure is going slowly, 48 hours and lost 5-6 psi, but the nail is
still in.

A quote from BMW for tyres is £200 each + VAT and fitting, £484 total.

I have measured the distance from the edge and it's approx 70mm or 3" from
the side wall, can this possibly be repaired?

Does anybody know where I could download the measurement guide showing where
it safe to fix?

The car has done 17,000 miles and there's still a few thousand miles left on
the tread, if I could safely get it repaired and save myself a lot of money
then I would!!!

Thanks in advance

Daz

Old October 26th 05, 08:44 PM
Corey Shuman

You could probably save a few and patch where its at, however, if you
drive in a spirited manner, you run the risk of the patch giving up and
the tire blowing, resulting usually in rim damage at a minimum (unless
you slide off the road out of control) Suck it up and pay for some new
tires (note the s, replacing one is a waste of money and will make the
car ride funny.- at a minimum replace both tires on the front or rear.)

Old October 26th 05, 10:36 PM
R. Mark Clayton

"Daz" <daz@home> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've just found a nail in the rear tyre on my 2004 M3 fitted with 19"
> wheels, pressure is going slowly, 48 hours and lost 5-6 psi, but the nail
> is still in.
>
> A quote from BMW for tyres is £200 each + VAT and fitting, £484 total.
>
> I have measured the distance from the edge and it's approx 70mm or 3" from
> the side wall, can this possibly be repaired?
>
> Does anybody know where I could download the measurement guide showing
> where it safe to fix?
>
> The car has done 17,000 miles and there's still a few thousand miles left
> on the tread, if I could safely get it repaired and save myself a lot of
> money then I would!!!
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Daz

Depends a bit on your driving. In days gone by I would have replaced the
tyre and rotated to even up wear etc. on each axle. These days I drive more
sedately and might repair. OTOH I don't go for this low profile stuff,
which if anything is more likely to be a problem if fixed.

If you push your M3 hard you should replace the tyres. If you have one you
can afford it.

Old October 26th 05, 11:28 PM
Malt_Hound

Daz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just found a nail in the rear tyre on my 2004 M3 fitted with 19"
> wheels, pressure is going slowly, 48 hours and lost 5-6 psi, but the nail is
> still in.
>
> A quote from BMW for tyres is £200 each + VAT and fitting, £484 total.
>
> I have measured the distance from the edge and it's approx 70mm or 3" from
> the side wall, can this possibly be repaired?

Yes, but there are two problems. 1) the tire will no longer be Z rated.
2) the balance will never be right again even if they rebalance it
unless they use a roadforce balancing machine and even then it's a
crapshoot.

> Does anybody know where I could download the measurement guide showing where
> it safe to fix?
>
> The car has done 17,000 miles and there's still a few thousand miles left on
> the tread, if I could safely get it repaired and save myself a lot of money
> then I would!!!

If the tires have done 17k miles I would just call it a day and replace
both tires on that axle. A few thousand is not worth it considering all
the agrravation you re likely to endure.

> Thanks in advance
>
> Daz

You are welcome in retard.

--
-Fred W
Old October 27th 05, 07:02 AM
TonyK

"Daz" <daz@home> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've just found a nail in the rear tyre on my 2004 M3 fitted with 19"
> wheels, pressure is going slowly, 48 hours and lost 5-6 psi, but the nail

is
> still in.
>
> A quote from BMW for tyres is £200 each + VAT and fitting, £484 total.
>
> I have measured the distance from the edge and it's approx 70mm or 3" from
> the side wall, can this possibly be repaired?
>
> Does anybody know where I could download the measurement guide showing

where
> it safe to fix?
>
> The car has done 17,000 miles and there's still a few thousand miles left

on
> the tread, if I could safely get it repaired and save myself a lot of

money
> then I would!!!
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Daz

I wouldn't even consider a repair for the sake of a few hundred quid. But I
would shop around on tyres. I got a full set of 18's for my M3 for £560 a
few months back at QuickFit. Okay, 19's would be more but you should be able
to get a new set of rears for less than the dealer price.

Anyway, 17K from a set of rears!! You must have DSC on ALL the time ;-)

Old October 27th 05, 07:57 AM
Daz

"TonyK" > wrote in message

> "Daz" <daz@home> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've just found a nail in the rear tyre on my 2004 M3 fitted with 19"
>> wheels, pressure is going slowly, 48 hours and lost 5-6 psi, but the nail

> is
>> still in.
>>
>> A quote from BMW for tyres is £200 each + VAT and fitting, £484 total.
>>
>> I have measured the distance from the edge and it's approx 70mm or 3"
>> from
>> the side wall, can this possibly be repaired?
>>
>> Does anybody know where I could download the measurement guide showing

> where
>> it safe to fix?
>>
>> The car has done 17,000 miles and there's still a few thousand miles left

> on
>> the tread, if I could safely get it repaired and save myself a lot of

> money
>> then I would!!!
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Daz
>>

> I wouldn't even consider a repair for the sake of a few hundred quid. But
> would shop around on tyres. I got a full set of 18's for my M3 for £560 a
> few months back at QuickFit. Okay, 19's would be more but you should be
> able
> to get a new set of rears for less than the dealer price.
>
> Anyway, 17K from a set of rears!! You must have DSC on ALL the time ;-)

BMW had the 19" ContiSportContact which is specifically designed for the M3
for £200 each + VAT, Kwik-fit had the same for £208 inc VAT. Both garages
wanted me to leave the car for an hour... now I'm not saying I don't trust
Kwik-fit but I know who I'd rather leave an M3 with for an hour... ;-)

I do have DSC on all the time!!!

Old October 27th 05, 08:20 AM
TonyK

"Daz" <daz@home> wrote in message

> "TonyK" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Daz" <daz@home> wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I've just found a nail in the rear tyre on my 2004 M3 fitted with 19"
> >> wheels, pressure is going slowly, 48 hours and lost 5-6 psi, but the

nail
> > is
> >> still in.
> >>
> >> A quote from BMW for tyres is £200 each + VAT and fitting, £484 total.
> >>
> >> I have measured the distance from the edge and it's approx 70mm or 3"
> >> from
> >> the side wall, can this possibly be repaired?
> >>
> >> Does anybody know where I could download the measurement guide showing

> > where
> >> it safe to fix?
> >>
> >> The car has done 17,000 miles and there's still a few thousand miles

left
> > on
> >> the tread, if I could safely get it repaired and save myself a lot of

> > money
> >> then I would!!!
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance
> >>
> >> Daz
> >>

> > I wouldn't even consider a repair for the sake of a few hundred quid.

But
> > would shop around on tyres. I got a full set of 18's for my M3 for £560

> > few months back at QuickFit. Okay, 19's would be more but you should be
> > able
> > to get a new set of rears for less than the dealer price.
> >
> > Anyway, 17K from a set of rears!! You must have DSC on ALL the time ;-)
> >

> BMW had the 19" ContiSportContact which is specifically designed for the

M3
> for £200 each + VAT, Kwik-fit had the same for £208 inc VAT. Both garages
> wanted me to leave the car for an hour... now I'm not saying I don't trust
> Kwik-fit but I know who I'd rather leave an M3 with for an hour... ;-)
>
> I do have DSC on all the time!!!

Looks like Kwik Fit have dropped their 25% off deal so maybe £200 isn't so
bad after all. Any for the sake of a afew quid you can at least kick up hell
at the dealer if there are any issues... like damaged rims after fitting.

Still wouldn't repair. As said elsewhere the tyre is no longer rated
correctly which I assume would have a bearing on insurance and would worry
the hell out of me for high speed driving.

Anyway, when the roads are dry get the DSC off for a bit. Totally different
car without it nannying you all the time :-)

Old October 28th 05, 06:30 AM
Alistair J Murray

Daz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just found a nail in the rear tyre on my 2004 M3 fitted with 19"
> wheels, pressure is going slowly, 48 hours and lost 5-6 psi, but the nail is
> still in.
>
> A quote from BMW for tyres is £200 each + VAT and fitting, £484 total.

That seems not too bad but you might get down to about £400 all in for a
pair by shopping around/haggling.

> I have measured the distance from the edge and it's approx 70mm or 3" from
> the side wall, can this possibly be repaired?

High speed (W and up) tyres should not be fixed with a glued plug type
patch *ever*.

It may be OK to get a vulcanised repair done but it's getting harder to
find vulcanisers. Expect to pay £30-50 if it's doable.

> Does anybody know where I could download the measurement guide showing where
> it safe to fix?

Vulcanised repairs don't have the same limitations as plug patches, I've
had lower speed high profile tyres fixed with holes right on the corner.
The deal seems to be that provided the carcase is undamaged it's
fixable - never had a high speed tyre done though.

> The car has done 17,000 miles and there's still a few thousand miles left on
> the tread, if I could safely get it repaired and save myself a lot of money
> then I would!!!

You should probably replace your tyres at ~3mm tread, certainly well
before 1.6mm, so your tyres are probably due to be dead really soon.

If you are getting more than 20k from a pair of rears you should have
bought a 316i...

Old October 28th 05, 11:16 AM
Daz

"Alistair J Murray" > wrote in message
> Daz wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've just found a nail in the rear tyre on my 2004 M3 fitted with 19"
>> wheels, pressure is going slowly, 48 hours and lost 5-6 psi, but the nail
>> is
>> still in.
>>
>> A quote from BMW for tyres is £200 each + VAT and fitting, £484 total.

> That seems not too bad but you might get down to about £400 all in for a
> pair by shopping around/haggling.
>
>> I have measured the distance from the edge and it's approx 70mm or 3"
>> from
>> the side wall, can this possibly be repaired?

> High speed (W and up) tyres should not be fixed with a glued plug type
> patch *ever*.
>
> It may be OK to get a vulcanised repair done but it's getting harder to
> find vulcanisers. Expect to pay £30-50 if it's doable.
>
>> Does anybody know where I could download the measurement guide showing
>> where
>> it safe to fix?

> Vulcanised repairs don't have the same limitations as plug patches, I've
> had lower speed high profile tyres fixed with holes right on the corner.
> The deal seems to be that provided the carcase is undamaged it's
> fixable - never had a high speed tyre done though.
>
>> The car has done 17,000 miles and there's still a few thousand miles left
>> on
>> the tread, if I could safely get it repaired and save myself a lot of
>> money
>> then I would!!!

> You should probably replace your tyres at ~3mm tread, certainly well
> before 1.6mm, so your tyres are probably due to be dead really soon.
>
> If you are getting more than 20k from a pair of rears you should have
> bought a 316i...

I'm beginning to think my M3 isn't being driven right!!! I never find
anything worth racing!!

So DSC off in the dry weather, sport button pressed and make sure the road
is empty ;-))

C'mon summer!!

Thanks everybody for your comments.

Old October 28th 05, 11:55 AM
TonyK

"Daz" <daz@home> wrote in message

> "Alistair J Murray" > wrote in message
> > Daz wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I've just found a nail in the rear tyre on my 2004 M3 fitted with 19"
> >> wheels, pressure is going slowly, 48 hours and lost 5-6 psi, but the

nail
> >> is
> >> still in.
> >>
> >> A quote from BMW for tyres is £200 each + VAT and fitting, £484 total.

> > That seems not too bad but you might get down to about £400 all in for a
> > pair by shopping around/haggling.
> >
> >> I have measured the distance from the edge and it's approx 70mm or 3"
> >> from
> >> the side wall, can this possibly be repaired?

> > High speed (W and up) tyres should not be fixed with a glued plug type
> > patch *ever*.
> >
> > It may be OK to get a vulcanised repair done but it's getting harder to
> > find vulcanisers. Expect to pay £30-50 if it's doable.
> >
> >> Does anybody know where I could download the measurement guide showing
> >> where
> >> it safe to fix?

> > Vulcanised repairs don't have the same limitations as plug patches, I've
> > had lower speed high profile tyres fixed with holes right on the corner.
> > The deal seems to be that provided the carcase is undamaged it's
> > fixable - never had a high speed tyre done though.
> >
> >> The car has done 17,000 miles and there's still a few thousand miles

left
> >> on
> >> the tread, if I could safely get it repaired and save myself a lot of
> >> money
> >> then I would!!!

> > You should probably replace your tyres at ~3mm tread, certainly well
> > before 1.6mm, so your tyres are probably due to be dead really soon.
> >
> > If you are getting more than 20k from a pair of rears you should have
> > bought a 316i...

> I'm beginning to think my M3 isn't being driven right!!! I never find
> anything worth racing!!
>
> So DSC off in the dry weather, sport button pressed and make sure the road
> is empty ;-))
>
> C'mon summer!!
>
> Thanks everybody for your comments.

Its not about racing, its about driving the car as it was designed to be.
Best way to get to grips with what the car can do is a an M driving day. BMW
run these fairly regularly. Lots of fun (and you use their car!)