What do you think of the Michelin Tweel - airless, sideless tire?

Old May 29th 07, 02:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Doc

Default What do you think of the Michelin Tweel - airless, sideless tire?

Interesting. Really the "tire of the future" or a gimmick?

http://www.michelinman.com/differenc...01102005a.html

Old May 29th 07, 03:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Noozer

"Doc" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Interesting. Really the "tire of the future" or a gimmick?
>
> http://www.michelinman.com/differenc...01102005a.html

This press release is over two years old and we still aren't seeing them on
the road. What do you think?

Old May 29th 07, 05:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Doc

On May 29, 10:19 am, "Noozer" > wrote:

> >http://www.michelinman.com/differenc...lease01102005a....

> This press release is over two years old and we still aren't seeing them on
> the road. What do you think?

I don't know whether it's a concept with the potential to be superior
- and it may not be - but I also don't know that this time frame
necessarily leads to a conclusion that it's not viable. I imagine
there have been longer time frames than this between working prototype
and refined product.

Old May 29th 07, 08:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Noozer

"Doc" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> On May 29, 10:19 am, "Noozer" > wrote:
>
>> >http://www.michelinman.com/differenc...lease01102005a....

>> This press release is over two years old and we still aren't seeing them
>> on
>> the road. What do you think?

> I don't know whether it's a concept with the potential to be superior
> - and it may not be - but I also don't know that this time frame
> necessarily leads to a conclusion that it's not viable. I imagine
> there have been longer time frames than this between working prototype
> and refined product.

Buy you'd expect to see the occasional updates.

Old May 30th 07, 03:28 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Warren Weber

"Doc" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Interesting. Really the "tire of the future" or a gimmick?
>
> http://www.michelinman.com/differenc...01102005a.html

I wonder how they would hold up on high horsepower drivin wheels on take off
or on hard cornering.?

Old May 31st 07, 04:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
disston

They were suposed to be an option on some BMW's, or so I seem to
remember from TV show. Ops...showing my education again.

disston

Old June 1st 07, 03:55 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Broderick Crawford

Doc wrote:
> Interesting. Really the "tire of the future" or a gimmick?
> http://www.michelinman.com/differenc...01102005a.html

Yes, there was a science show on tv about them. I'd have to test drive
them to know.
Old June 1st 07, 02:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
John S.

On May 29, 9:46 am, Doc > wrote:
> Interesting. Really the "tire of the future" or a gimmick?
>
> http://www.michelinman.com/differenc...lease01102005a....

Airless yes, it substitutes a flexible core of ribs for the baloon of
air most tires use for cushioning. But it is hardly sideless. The
press release described the automotive application of the tweel as a
"concept" which tells me it is a long way from production.

Sounds interesting, although our lingo will have to change from having
a tire that is flat to a wheel that is broken when it inevitably
becomes no longer round. Wonder if they are repairable or just
throwaway wheels?

Old June 1st 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Elko Tchernev[_2_]

John S. wrote:
> On May 29, 9:46 am, Doc > wrote:
>> Interesting. Really the "tire of the future" or a gimmick?
>>
>> http://www.michelinman.com/differenc...lease01102005a....

> Airless yes, it substitutes a flexible core of ribs for the baloon of
> air most tires use for cushioning. But it is hardly sideless. The
> press release described the automotive application of the tweel as a
> "concept" which tells me it is a long way from production.
>
> Sounds interesting, although our lingo will have to change from having
> a tire that is flat to a wheel that is broken when it inevitably
> becomes no longer round. Wonder if they are repairable or just
> throwaway wheels?

Yeah, that's a very good point. When the threads wear out, you
again change the entire wheel?

Repost for new a.b.p.a. members: 1931 Bugatti Royale Type 41 Cabriolet Cream fv Wheel & 7.00 x 24 Michelin Tire Detail (H Ford Museum) N.jpg 173470 bytes HEMI-Powered @ [email protected] Auto Photos 0 March 7th 07 11:50 AM
"Airless tires under study for Army Humvees" Mike 4x4 1 January 13th 07 04:23 AM
"Airless tires under study for Army Humvees" Mike Technology 0 January 6th 07 04:52 PM
New michelin tire ZÿRiX Corvette 2 August 31st 06 07:10 PM
Michelin Harmony [email protected] General 2 July 15th 05 04:09 PM