Pinging, pinking, knocking...?

Old October 14th 06, 06:20 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
sharx333

Default Pinging, pinking, knocking...?

Hi, my 1.6L 4-cylinder Civic often makes a "clicking" noise, especially
when under load in too high a gear. Sometimes even at the "correct"
gear, when accelerating.

Is this pinging, pinking, tappet noise, detonation, spark knock, etc?
I've searched the posts, but I'm now more confused. Some people say
"pinging" is the same as tappet noise, which is harmless, while some
say pinging = detonation, which is bad.

So which is it, really, and what could be causing it on my engine?

Thanks!

Old October 14th 06, 08:16 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Earle Horton[_7_]

"Pinging" is different from tappet noise. "Pinking" is the British variant.
Detonation is potentially bad. I have seen it break connecting rods. Spark
knock is another name for it. Which model year is your Civic?

Potential causes are maladjusted ignition timing, too low octane fuel, and
carbon deposits in the combustion chambers.

Earle

oups.com...

Old October 14th 06, 08:27 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

It's a 1995 model. I check/adjust the timing every week or so, no
problems there. Have noticed the 'pinging' even with premium fuel.

Given that it's noisiest when under load and the gear is too high, is
it more likely to be tappet noise, pinging or knock? How can I tell?

Old October 14th 06, 09:19 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Earle Horton[_7_]

One hears tappet noise at idle. This is most likely pinging. Why would you
check/adjust the timing every week? Are you sure that you are doing it
properly? If you retard the timing a few degrees, then take it for a test
drive, and the noise is gone, then you would be pretty sure that it is
pinging.

Earle

oups.com...

Old October 15th 06, 02:25 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Kevin McMurtrie

In article .com>,
"sharx333" > wrote:

> Hi, my 1.6L 4-cylinder Civic often makes a "clicking" noise, especially
> when under load in too high a gear. Sometimes even at the "correct"
> gear, when accelerating.
>
> Is this pinging, pinking, tappet noise, detonation, spark knock, etc?
> I've searched the posts, but I'm now more confused. Some people say
> "pinging" is the same as tappet noise, which is harmless, while some
> say pinging = detonation, which is bad.
>
> So which is it, really, and what could be causing it on my engine?
>
> Thanks!

How loud? Some Hondas use light pinging as an indication that engine
tuning has just passed the optimum detonation timing. The 05 HAH even
sounds like it's farting sometimes. If it's loud or constant I'd check
the spark plugs for damage and make sure that the intake manifold is the
right temperature. If there's an EGR valve, make sure it hasn't clogged.
Old October 15th 06, 04:02 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

I have been living with this intermittant clicking in my 91 Civic now
for almost 3-4 years. In my case, it is not the lifters (tappets), or
engine knock/pinging. My engine timing is fine too. (I assume your
remark about adjusting timing every week is a typo?).
The clicking comes from either some solenoid attached to the firewall
(a part of the device tray?), or maybe the injector solenoids. I just
do not know.........
One has to have really sharp hearing (most of my passengers cannnot
hear the clicking) to hear this annoying click. In my case too, it
comes on occasionally, even when I am cruising at highway speeds. Grade
of gas does not matter as you say.
The car drives fine, and does 39-41 mpg on highway. (I have been to the
dealership once, just to get this sound diagnosed.........unfortunately
none of the mechanics could hear it).
My low-tech (self-defeating?) solution.......just lower the driver side
window a crack whenever the clicking appears.......then you cannot hear
it anymore.......
If you find the culprit please post......in the past, there have been
posts by others in this newsgroup on this mystery clicking as
well.......but no one is any-the-wiser.....

Old October 15th 06, 06:42 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
sharx333

ah1244: Yes, most passengers don't hear it at all. But in my case, it's
the opposite of yours: I can hear it only when the windows are *open*.
Does this rule out knocking or detonation?

I adjusted the timing only once, after the distributor rotor was
replaced, and checked timing every chance I get, because I also thought
the noise could be related to timing. Actually I replaced the rotor for
precisely this reason also. But still no luck.

Thanks for the tip, Earl and Kevin. I'll try retarding the timing a
little now.. Will post back about results.

Old October 15th 06, 05:25 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Graham W

sharx333 wrote:
> ah1244: Yes, most passengers don't hear it at all. But in my case, it's
> the opposite of yours: I can hear it only when the windows are *open*.
> Does this rule out knocking or detonation?
>
> I adjusted the timing only once, after the distributor rotor was
> replaced, and checked timing every chance I get, because I also thought
> the noise could be related to timing. Actually I replaced the rotor for
> precisely this reason also. But still no luck.
>
> Thanks for the tip, Earl and Kevin. I'll try retarding the timing a
> little now.. Will post back about results.

Are you sure that sound is coming from in front of you?

I had a mystery sound like yours that turned out to be the two latches
on the rear seat back that you release to lay it flat.

The slight movement of the seat while traveling down the road was
causing the latch to slide sideways and as it did a bit of sticktion
made a little click as it let go. A smear of grease on the parts concerned
instantly fixed it! (Note to self - it needs doing again now two years
later!).

--
Graham W
http://www.gcw.org.uk/ PGM-FI page updated, Graphics Tutorial

Old October 15th 06, 07:38 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
sharx333

Thanks to everyone who responded. The problem's finally fixed.
As it turned out, the timing was too advanced.

It just never occurred to me that such a tiny amount of advance would
cause so much pinging. It was early by only about 1 degree or less. So
I guess the problem really was PINGING. It's pretty clear now that it
wasn't tappet noise, but is pinging the same as detonation or knock?

Kevin: You mentioned a "farting" sound, and yes, the tailpipe seemed to
make that noise when you step on the gas. Is that what you meant?

I suppose *some* pinging is expected on any car when you are in the
wrong gear (e.g. 4th gear at 10MPH).

Old October 15th 06, 07:53 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

sharx333 wrote:
> Thanks to everyone who responded. The problem's finally fixed.
> As it turned out, the timing was too advanced.
>
> It just never occurred to me that such a tiny amount of advance would
> cause so much pinging. It was early by only about 1 degree or less. So
> I guess the problem really was PINGING. It's pretty clear now that it
> wasn't tappet noise, but is pinging the same as detonation or knock?
>
> Kevin: You mentioned a "farting" sound, and yes, the tailpipe seemed to
> make that noise when you step on the gas. Is that what you meant?
>
> I suppose *some* pinging is expected on any car when you are in the
> wrong gear (e.g. 4th gear at 10MPH).

did you set the timing with the ecu service connector in place? if not,
your timing is probably still out because the ecu electronically
advances ignition from a base point. you need the connector in place to
set base.

also, if the timing belt is not set right, both cam and ignition timing
are out relative to the crank. you can mess with the ignition timing to
make it /look/ right, but it's a fudge. has the belt been changed?